Search Unity

Unity Scene Corrupted Recovery?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by zackchong, Dec 26, 2020.

1. zackchong

zackchong

Please, is there any unity expert or computer expert that could help me, my unity was opened yesterday and then suddenly my laptop shut down by itself. When I re-launch my project and the project was weirdly taking very long time to launch, and then it finally goes into the scene, but everything was off, there are a bunch of Recovery GameObject and missing reference.
    So, I did some researches and studied the YAML format and look into the launched scene file by using a text editor. And then I realized that the actual problem is that the scene file only has half part of it, where the end of the line is a straight long line of NuLL, and the rest of the line have not been saved or been deleted.

My attempts to this problem is I need to find ways to revert the overwritten scene file. But unfortunately I have tried so many ways and I haven't found a successful way yet. I am very scared right now, but in the meantime I also think there will be a way to achieve that. Please help , please.

2. mgear

mgear

backups/version control is the only real solution..

if you didn't start unity after crash, there would be backup scene in /Temp/BackupScenes/ (but it gets erased after running project again).. maybe could try some undelete tools, but i'd guess its unlikely to work properly.

PraetorBlue likes this.
  3. zackchong

zackchong

Hi mgear thank you very much for the reply. I did a backup of the scene before but that was in a very early stage of the development, and so the serialized field values are outdated. Unfortunately, I did re-launch right after the crash as I didn't know it would be in this kind of situation. And I am sorry that I didn't mention in the start posts of what methods I have tried. I did download some file recovery tools eg DiskDrill, WIndows FIle Recovery, but they have no luck for me. Also, I can't use collab revert because I usually work in offline state. Right now, I made a back up of the project, and I think I have to move forward to redo it manually again. But again, thank you for your generous reply. Thank you.

4. Mauri

Mauri

As mgear said, backups are the most important thing. If you can't use any version control, at least .zip your entire Project on a weekly base.

PraetorBlue likes this.