Search Unity

Unity scamy sales call

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kreso, Oct 12, 2018.

1. kreso

kreso

I've noticed Unity is trying to sell it's services lately, trying different ways. Being a solo indie developer, I'm probably not your target audience but Unity needs to make a living somehow.

However, I was a target of a Unity sales call few days ago. A person called Zachary called me to my phone (I still wonder how he got the number and who gave him the 'OK' to call). He talked to me without revealing he works on sales team (he actually mislead me by saying he is a tech person, and will connect me with another tech engineer by the name of Carlos - who I looked up on LinkedIn had a title of 'inside sales'). The purpose of the call was supposed to be 'how can they help me with my tech problems'. Very, very misleading.
    When I wanted confirmation before jumping on 2nd call 'Is this a sales call of any kind' so to not waste anyones time, I never received a response (even though before that Zachary was extremely responsive). Not to blame Zachary, he's trying to do his best, but perhaps the priorities inside the organization are not that clear?
    Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I appreciate Unity as a game engine immensely, and want to help you guys stay great by saying that actions like this make me trust in the Unity as a brand less.

Kind regards

angrypenguin and Martin_H like this.
  2. Vryken

Vryken

I'm skeptical about this actually being a call from the Unity Team.

3. kreso

kreso

I know what you mean, I was skeptical too.
    The guy emailed me from @unity.com.
    Also I sent a support ticket to support@unity.com, and they confirmed the guy is on their sales team.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

And this is why I never answer the phone...

(not that this has happened to me mind you but others do such things)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  5. hard_code

hard_code

This is what happens when you raise $600 million.

I fear what Unity is going to turn into once it goes public and has to show growth every single quarter or get slaughtered in the stock market.

kreso likes this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unity seems to be taking a bit of an aggressive, hands on approach to things lately and, as both a consumer and a developer, I am not a fan of that.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Unity does have a bit of a reputation for non professional sales reps on the ground. Our local guy is great. But I've had a few sketchy contacts from some of the Asian regions.

8. XCPU

XCPU

On the positive side I've started a free Unity T-shirt collection. some still in original postal packaging too.
    Might be worth something someday! :)

Socrates and Kiwasi like this.
  9. tiggus

tiggus

I had a case where a Unity sales rep sent me a bunch of malware via email. I reached out to him to ask about it and he confirmed it wasn't him but his account got hacked, might have been nice to let folks know who you sent malware to...

Martin_H likes this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If Unity ever goes public I'm 100% sure their competition will throw a huge party.

Martin_H likes this.
  11. frosted

frosted

Watching the young idealistic upstart become the enfranchised elite.

Martin_H and hippocoder like this.
  12. Martin_H

Martin_H

Have you seen some of their actual confirmed legit marketing stuff? Even I can't distinguish some of it from spam or phishing attempts. I'd believe a story like this in a heartbeat.

Afaik in Germany a sales call like this without the customer having given explicit permission for being contacted that way beforehand is actually illegal.

I just hope they never become something like the "electronic arts of the game engine world"... oh wait... [/sarcasm]

13. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

I have received four emails promoting promoting pro in the last month. I am fine with that as a cost of not having to pay for the free version but I hope that isn't a sign that they are having difficulty making money with their current business model.