Search Unity

Unity sandbox for mini-project

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MeiaGaspea, Jun 28, 2022.

1. MeiaGaspea

MeiaGaspea

Hey there,

Is there any way to create a mini test project like, for example, jsfiddle, CodePen, codesandbox, replit, etc... do for JavaScript?

My goal is not to have to create an entire environment to make mini projects. Like, for example, testing the collision between two objects.

(I'm not expecting there to be a "mini version of unity" for the browser, but I was hoping there was some way to create mini environments.)

Did I make sense? If I was too confused, please let me know

Thanks any help :)

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

There is „Project Tiny“ which is a DOTS based environment with reduced feature set (experimental).

My strategy for test projects is to have just one project where I can hack away. I import commonly used features/assets via a custom package so that I have for instance a FPS counter, prototyping textures, object pooling etc. at my disposal in any project I use just by importing this „must-have“ package.

3. MeiaGaspea

MeiaGaspea

Thanks for your reply, I understand, but my goal is exactly to avoid that. : )

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Why? Is it the time it takes to create the initial Library folder? In that case do it once, and from then on simply make a copy of the project with explorer whenever you need to test something in a fresh project.

5. Kreshi

Kreshi

You could buy helpful assets from the asset store that you use in most projects. With those you can create your base environment(s). You could also buy full templates from the asset store that you use as your starting environment for a specific project. How you start a project often depends on time, money, motivation and skill level so it's difficult to have the same base environment for every project I guess. However there are definitely people here who have some preferences which they use in about every project so hopefully one of them can give you better tips than me on this topic :).