Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity running very slow on new Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by raphaelbaldi, Mar 15, 2011.

1. raphaelbaldi

raphaelbaldi

Just bought a new Macbook Pro:

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1 GB

... and Unity is running so slow (during Editor's Play Mode) that is unusable. I've tested it on another machine (with exactly the same specs) and the problem occurred too. I've also tested some games (Starcraft II, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2) and they run under maximum graphic quality. Besides, Unity will run smoothly under Windows (same machine using bootcamp partition).

If I build a version of my project (Mac OS Universal) it runs as smooth as it should.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if anyone does have a solution!

I really want to take advantage of this great piece of hardware...

2. raphaelbaldi

raphaelbaldi

Just wanted to let you know that I've tested some projects trying to figure out what is happening with the Unity's Editor. I have a project that will run fine (~60 FPS) on an old macbook pro (equipped with a 512 MB Nvidia 8600M GT) and very slow (~5 FPS) on the new one (equipped with the new ATI HD 6750M).

3. angel_m

angel_m

Obviously, the ATI drivers on Mac don't work well with Unity.

4. raphaelbaldi

raphaelbaldi

UT guys are already working on it. They've found that Unity is really running slower on Apple's new equipment. I'll report you back if anything changes.

5. havene

havene

Oh man.. I am planning to order a mbp 13'.. Although this spec without ATI graphic card.. Should I change my mind and stay with Windows OS laptop??

6. raphaelbaldi

raphaelbaldi

I believe its better to wait for a solution before buying a macbook. As I found on Apple's forums, lots of users are experiencing problems with their new equipment (random freezes, poor overall graphics experience) and the company said that these problems should go away as soon as they release a new patch.

7. astroboyKT

astroboyKT

Is there any update patch for this problem now, or should we wait for UNITY guys?

8. npsf3000

npsf3000

I've been hearing rumors about ATI, Unity batching and Mac.

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

Those are general things yeah.
    But in case of the new MBPs the problem is on a whole different end or an additional one one should say and thats that apple has been messing with the drivers, clockings etc

10. angel_m

angel_m

havene, better stay with Windows because the new mbp 13' has a very poor graphic card (in fact it is an integrated one)

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  11. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Noticed the same here with my brandnew Core 2.2 Core i7 Quad Core 2011 Macbook Pro. Unity runs quite slow in editor mode.

12. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Just wanted to confirm that we're aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

13. samim

samim

Same issue here with my new i7 MacBookpro running a AMD Radeon HD 6750M. Very disappointing, productivity killing stuff. Any new developments on this?

14. andreasR

andreasR

Any updates on this?

15. agent007

agent007

I have been working hard to finish a few pet projects before downloading and evaluating Unity.
    I am about to purchase an iMac but it has an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512M card in it and as far
    as I can tell Unity is having issues with this card. Is this still true?

16. agent007

agent007

Any comments on the AMD graphics card?

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Works fine with my 5870, aside from the stupid driver bug that makes meshes with >24K vertices run really slow. But they fixed static batching so that this limit isn't exceeded, so the only time it's an issue is if you create or import that large of a large mesh yourself.

--Eric

18. Cbjfan1

Cbjfan1

The same thing is happening to my HP Pavilion, ever since I got pro