Search Unity

Unity RTS Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Delta5-1

Delta5-1

We purchased this Asset yesterday and i'm amazed by all the features and possibilities it provides.
    Absolutely worth it!

I would still like to suggest and/or request some features:

1.) Sea Units would be a great addition, maybe a special unit among them that behaves similar to the APC(Load, Transport and Unload Units)
    2.) Would it be possible to create a Unit that could build other types of Units? Such as an Aircraft Carrier maybe, or a Command Vehicle on Land
    3.) The Ability to build Walls and Fences around your Base to protect it from attacks would be a great addition!
    4.) Assigning Unit Groups by pressing Ctrl+1 for example would be cool
    5.) Occupying Buildings with Infantry (Defensive Buildings like guard towers and maybe even civilian/neutral Buildings)

I think some of those ideas have already been suggested, but I still wanted to list them. I hope you like some of it and bear those in mind as you proceed updating :)

Thanks in Advance!

2. OussamaB

OussamaB

You can make the border very big and then disable spawning the border object by going inside the "Border.cs" script and commenting the line that does that. Then remove any building restrictions in the border component in the capital building. A way to disable the border feature completely will be introduced.

That's one of the top things to do, the Unity nav mesh movement is not the best and I am trying to customize it in order to avoid any unwanted behavior like units bumping to each other. The next update will be taking more of the navmesh movement.

You can attack enemy units/buildings by right mouse clicking on them while selecting your own units.
    Do you mean the "Attack" as a task in the task panel?

3. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hey, really glad that you found the asset useful. Any suggestion is always appreciated, will implement this as soon as possible.

4. OussamaB

OussamaB

It is possible but it's not really a priority at the moment.

5. OussamaB

OussamaB

Sea units are priority now. But first the nav mesh movement will have to be updated and improved. Naval APC units will also be automatically possible since they will be based on the same component.

In the to-do list.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions.

6. kenmgrimm

kenmgrimm

The code to spawn a unit does not seem to function properly when the terrain is taller than the unit's height. The code is currently:

GameObject NewUnit = (GameObject)Instantiate (BuildingTasksList [TasksQueue [0].ID].UnitPrefab.gameObject, new Vector3 (SpawnPosition.position.x, Height, SpawnPosition.position.z), BuildingTasksList [TasksQueue [0].ID].UnitPrefab.transform.rotation);

I'm not sure why you use the unit's height instead of the SpawnPosition.y to place the unit but if your terrain is at y=2 and your height is 1, then it will spawn the unit under the terrain's navmesh. When I replaced Height with SpawnPosition.y this code seems to work.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    OussamaB likes this.
  7. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the fix. The position on the Y axis should actually be: SpawnPosition.y + UnitHeight

The unit's main object sometimes does not suit the unit's models which are children objects of the main unit prefab. Therefore the user can set the height of the unit in order to keep the whole unit's model above the terrain's surface.

8. kenmgrimm

kenmgrimm

Ok cool thank you.

9. OussamaB

OussamaB

Update v1.0.9 has been submitted:

- Added construction states for buildings.
    - Added building upgrades.
    - Added the ability of decision making regarding building upgrades for NPC factions.
    - NPC Army units' selection has been improved: Each NPC faction decides based on different priorities which unit to create.

10. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Were there any gui changes in this? Or just script updates? I wanna update but I'm not sure if I'll lose my updated HUDS.

11. OussamaB

OussamaB

I added a progress bar for the building upgrade under the selection panel and a button that appears for buildings who can be upgraded under the same panel as well. That should not interfere with your custom HUDS I think.

12. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Sweet cant wait to play around with this! :D

13. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

is there gonna be Rotation of buildings in a later patch?

14. digiross

digiross

How's the performance on a large size map?

15. OussamaB

OussamaB

Yes, it is planned.

16. OussamaB

OussamaB

Depends on a lot of things. Mainly how complex your models are. In a RTS game models of units and buildings should not contain many details because they won't be viewed closely. The more simply your models are (and effects and everything else that is visual), the smoother the game is. In this case, large maps are not really a problem. On the other hand, in each update there's always some modifications in order to improve the performance of the code.

17. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

https://puu.sh/wyA9I/697f719e83.gif is one of our small maps but its actual large for a RTS map , the map still work in progress , best tip i would recommend from my modelers is do low poly work but great texturing 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 , dont have so much FX effects or anything that will get alot of Draw calls

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    digiross and OussamaB like this.
  18. OussamaB

OussamaB

Update v1.0.9 is now available on the asset store!

Please help the asset grow by rating and reviewing it on the store!

19. Struders

Struders

Just purchased this asset, and I wasn't expecting such a comprehensive system! However I am trying to adapt it to make it work for my project but I'm running into a problem. Is there a limitation on how high the terrain can be above the flatterrain obj? I have 2 bases on a map one at the bottom of hill and the other at the top. Units spawn fine at the bottom but not at the top! :( no matter how much fussing I do moving the building up and down I just keep getting the following console error...

Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to create agent because it is not close enough to the NavMesh
    2. UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(GameObject, Vector3, Quaternion)
    3. Building:Update() (at Assets/RTS Engine/Buildings/Scripts/Building.cs:645)
    I've rebuilt the navmesh on the terrain and made the flatterrain non-walkable... Any thoughts?

20. OussamaB

OussamaB

The flat terrain has nothing to do with the nav mesh. It's only there for other purposes.
    However, after building your nav mesh, do you notice that the hill's mesh color matches the walkable area color (by default it is light blue)?

21. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Im having a issue with heli's not being in the Air they just stuck in the ground like a ground unit

22. OussamaB

OussamaB

CPTEliteWarfare likes this.
  23. Struders

Struders

the hills are covered with the baked navmesh, I've even tried attaching the spawnpos to a physics object so i knew it was right on the terrain, nada. I think I've messed a setting up somewhere along the line but cannot see it...

24. OussamaB

OussamaB

Does the same happens on all hills? Can you test if the problem persists when you have a small hill?

25. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Not to derail your troubleshooting, but I have question that may benefit the others as well.
    Will the APC script work on buildings? I know with units (obviously since the APC example)

For example I'v created a 'bunker' type shelter to protect valuable units during an attack.
    I haven't had a chance to test it b\c I'm setting up so much at once. I'm just wondering if you've tried it yourself. If it doesn't work...do you have any possible plans in the future to make this possible?

Also -- Since this is basically a production ready asset...When we eventually create alpha/beta/1.0 builds...

Do you have a Splash screen we can use to to basically say "Made with RTS Engine" ?
    I can just put you in the credits but I'd also like a Splash screen you approve of since you are awesome.

I was thinking if not, just the initial image you put on the Forum post the grey backed one with your Name and the nice Strategy image

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  26. OussamaB

OussamaB

Expect this in the next two updates.

That is pretty awesome. I really appreciate it.
    You can just use the one on the forum post or I can send you a modified version of it to suit to your needs (changing colors, etc..)

27. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Is there Teams in the Multiplayer? for like 2v2 or 3v4 and so on..
    If there not is that coming in a later patch?

28. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Getting these error when game is built and playing online:

(Filename: C:/Users/USERNAME/Documents/RTS-Project/Assets/Code/RTS Engine/Buildings/Scripts/Building.cs Line: 804)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at Building.SetTaskTypes () [0x001b7] in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\RTS-Project\Assets\Code\RTS Engine\Buildings\Scripts\Building.cs:804
    at Building.Start () [0x003bc] in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\RTS-Project\Assets\Code\RTS Engine\Buildings\Scripts\Building.cs:397

Also this when the the Civilian is created:

at MFactionManager.RpcSendUnitToRallyPoint (UnityEngine.GameObject Unit) [0x00034] in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\RTS-Project\Assets\Code\RTS Engine\Multiplayer\Scripts\MFactionManager.cs:408
    at MFactionManager.InvokeRpcRpcSendUnitToRallyPoint (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkBehaviour obj, UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity.HandleRPC (Int32 cmdHash, UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader) [0x00144] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkIdentity.cs:659
    at UnityEngine.Networking.ClientScene.OnRPCMessage (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkMessage netMsg) [0x00072] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\ClientScene.cs:748
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection.HandleReader (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader, Int32 receivedSize, Int32 channelId) [0x00130] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkConnection.cs:468
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection.HandleBytes (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 receivedSize, Int32 channelId) [0x0000c] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkConnection.cs:424
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection.TransportRecieve (System.Byte[] bytes, Int32 numBytes, Int32 channelId) [0x00001] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkConnection.cs:576
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkClient.Update () [0x001d5] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkClient.cs:735
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkClient.UpdateClients () [0x00024] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkClient.cs:950
    at UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity.UNetStaticUpdate () [0x00006] in C:\buildslave\unity\build\Extensions\Networking\Runtime\NetworkIdentity.cs:1089

(Filename: C:/Users/USERNAME/Documents/RTS-Project/Assets/Code/RTS Engine/Multiplayer/Scripts/MFactionManager.cs Line: 408)

USING UNITY 5.5.3f1 if that helps

29. OussamaB

OussamaB

Can't actually say when I will be adding this exactly. But it is definitely planned.

As for these errors, please PM me your e-mail and invoice number to send you the fix.
    You can also wait for the next update that will include the fix.

30. OussamaB

OussamaB

New update has beem submitted.

v1.1.0 - 14/07/2017:

- Added new custom events for building upgrades.
    - Navigation mesh agent movement improvement (more to come).
    - Added override controllers for unit animators.
    - Added the option to have different animation for different resource collection (using override controllers).
    - Task Panel separation: Added the feature to have multiple task panel categories and have different tasks on each panel. Task panel categories can be chosen for each single task from the inspector.
    - Improved the NPC manager scripts performance.
    - Fixed a bug in the multiplayer game.

Please make sure you backup your project before updating as the values of some attributes in the inspector will be reseted due to change in the scripts that aims to improve performance.

The attributea that require to be reassigned are:

- The unit prefabs in the NPC Army components.
    - The Buildings list in both the Building Placement component and the NPC Building components.
    - The Buildings list in the Border components.

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  31. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Can I ask what the improvements are to the Navmesh Movement?
    Was it performance or something else? I'm looking into to the units hugging terrain, I haven't been able to make it do that myself yet. Right now the units remain static on the tilts. So going down a hill in a vehicle looks kinda silly :)

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/168097/orient-vehicle-to-ground-normal.html

I tried adapting the logic in this post to the navmesh code you wrote and got it to Tilt in the direction of the hill but then the vehicle stopped rotating left and right. :rolleyes:, I cant win :) I'm wondering if this is something you've already fixed or will do in the future.
    You hid those editor inspector values really well, :D took a while to find em :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  32. OussamaB

OussamaB

Well I have tried so many things in order to improve the nav mesh movement process including changing units to obstacles when not moving, playing with the priority values, etc.. but none of that actually made a big difference.

What I added in the last update was to allow units to pass through each other only when they are stuck. This allowed to avoid weird behavior like units pushing each other away from resources or buildings while collecting or constructing them. Although there's room for improvement, I believe it's a great step for a better movement system.

What I was also thinking about is provide static collection/constructing positions with each building and resource so that the units will directly move to these positions and avoid any unnecessary pushing. What do you think about that or would that? Bear in mind that these positions will be generated automatically.

Regarding the issue you described about units going down a hill. That's an issue I am going to be definitely tackling in the future. But right there are some priorities. It looks like you've done some good work to fix it, I will be checking it out.

33. Delta5-1

Delta5-1

Sounds like a great idea, currently our Civilan Units are pushing each other away. It's not that bad, but it looks weird, especially with the builder objects spawned; we use piled up crates and they glitch away every time a civilian gets pushed over to the side. It would be great if the builder object would be spawned after the unit took position. ;)

We also have some more Suggestions to cover more RTS Game styles:

1.) Special Units that are capable of converting enemy Units (like the famous priests from AoE ;))
    2.) Surface Damage for Heavy Units like Artillery or Catapults
    3.) I think Unit Formations would also be useful for some Developers

There are also some errors i'm running into, forcing the game to stop. I managed to fix most of these errors, but now I'm stuck and in need of help :( These are the remaining errors:

This Error occurs when I try to select a Unit/Building. It pauses the Game, but I'm still able to continue playing and I can still give orders to the selected Unit:

UIManager.UpdateUnitUI (.Unit SelectedUnit) (at Assets/RTS Engine/UI/Scripts/UIManager.cs:610)
    SelectionManager.SelectUnit (.Unit Unit, Boolean Add) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Selection/Scripts/SelectionManager.cs:872)
    Unit.SelectUnit () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Units/Scripts/Unit.cs:320)
    SelectionManager.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Selection/Scripts/SelectionManager.cs:191)

These errors seems to occur almost random and I still don't understand what I did wrong:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    NPCArmy.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCArmy.cs:322)

If you know what exactly the problem is or if you got a solution for this please let me know, i'm pretty frustrated and i only have this weekend left to fix it. Another Problem I ran into are the Animations for my Workers. They worked just fine but now they're only in Idle pose, even when another state like the "Moving" state is active. That's not a big issue and I think I can solve that but it's still weird because I didn't change anything in that period.

The last Problem is also a mystery to me: Every Custom icon we created works just fine, but I can't see Unit icons in the Task Panel of my Buildings or the Building icon itself. Even if I try to build workers I am only able to build the with the help of the Custom Panel (they're displayed there) but I can't build anything with them because there aren't any icons displayed.

Despite these Errors we've managed to accomplish so much thanks to you and your RTS Engine so we wanted to thank you and if it's okay to you we would like to credit you and the RTS Engine in our Game :)

Thanks for your kind support! Also left you a review on the Asset Store ;)

34. Nudge

Nudge

Hi

I found a bug.

When the spawn point is placed on a new construction or resource, it allows for more than the allowed workers or collectors and continues to allow it.

35. OussamaB

OussamaB

I didn't quite understand the second point. As for the others they are great suggestions, added to the to-do list.

This is probably because you forgot to set the Building upgrade's UI fields in the UI Manager inspector.

Will try to reproduce this and see what the problem is.

Have you changed anything regarding the code that handles the animation? Or did this issue start appearing after an update or something?

That's a weird one. No errors are given on building selection? Can you at least remember when did this start happening?

Just a piece of advice for everyone, when you make a change to the code, even if it's not a big modification. Attempt to play a game and see if anything else has been affected. You can even set the Time Scale from (Edit -> Project Settings -> Time) to something high so that you won't loose time doing so.

Your kind words and the awesome review keep me motivated to improve the asset even more! Thanks a lot.
    Feel free to credit me and the RTS Engine, that will be greatly appreciated.
    Also please do keep me updated about the development of your game, I am really interested to see your progress and how it works out. You can post regularly in the forum post, PM or e-mail me.

36. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for reporting this bug. Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce it. Can you explain it further more?

37. Delta5-1

Delta5-1

I think Areal Damage is the right term for it, my bad. The Capability (for Catapults/Artillery for example) to damage multiple units in the target area.

You are a real lifesaver! It worked, I guess I've been starring at Unity for too long now, so I didn't see the soloution right in front of me

Alright, please keep me updated on that one. I'll also try to find a soloution for this. Unity points out that the source could be the "Team1" Object in the Hierarchy but I'm not sure whats wrong with it.

I'm getting this error now, but I think I forgot to add something (again). I'll try to fix it tomorrow.

UIManager.UpdateUnitTasks () (at Assets/RTS Engine/UI/Scripts/UIManager.cs:734)
    UIManager.UpdateUnitUI (.Unit SelectedUnit) (at Assets/RTS Engine/UI/Scripts/UIManager.cs:655)
    SelectionManager.SelectUnit (.Unit Unit, Boolean Add) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Selection/Scripts/SelectionManager.cs:872)
    Unit.SelectUnit () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Units/Scripts/Unit.cs:320)
    SelectionManager.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Selection/Scripts/SelectionManager.cs:191)

No I tried to be as careful as possible about the code so I didn't touch it. Maybe there was an issue with the Unity Collab system? I think this happened 10 minutes after I collabed the Project Files and there weren't many changes in that period.

My Mistake. It worked after I added the Building Upgrade UI properly. Thanks again for that fix :)

Do you have any wishes on splash screen/logo etc.? I'll send you some Screenshots tomorrow ;)
    I will also post some Screenshots next week in the forum, also a highly detailed map which also serves as a stress test (may be interesting for Users who asked for the performance on large/detailed Maps :)). Works pretty well so far, even with many units!

38. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Iv seen it too.
    So when you set rally points for units. For example if you rally point is set to Get a resource at spawn it will automatically go there and do that like intended.

However if the limit is 3 units you can still build more units to do it than are set as the max.
    So it will actually be like 9/3 so 6 more than the max.
    This only happens on unit creation and not after.
    If needed i can try to get you a video of the bug he's talking about now that I'v gotten my recording software working properly

39. Nudge

Nudge

Yes what he said :) But even after the collector has taken the resource back to gather point, it goes back and collects more, however that could be that the other collectors were not actually collecting at the same time and the max was not reached, I don't remember.

Likewise, you can also send more than the max to build a structure if the rally point is set on that structure.

Hope that helps.

40. OussamaB

OussamaB

Ah yeah, thanks for the explanation!

Either in your "BuildingPlacement.cs" script, one of the "AllBuildings" array's fields is empty or a gameObject that does not have a "Building.cs" component. Or your task button does not have a UI Image component.

It can be because of Unity collab. But to be more sure, can anyone else confirm the existence of this bug?

Anything that matches the feel and the design in your game is good enough. I can send you the asset's logo without the grey background if you wish.
    Looking forward to see the progress in your game! The performance test is indeed interesting for everyone in this thread. Thank you!

41. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Bug identified and will be fixed in the next update!

42. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

I'm getting some odd errors.
    The DemoMap with your stuff seemed to work fine. So your vanilla setups are good

However when I try my own buildings I run into some issues.
    The Capital Buildings get generated like expected so I did that part correctly.

On my capital Building I have a resource Generator to that it builds one of my resources up.
    When my resources hit 150 I can afford a PowerPlant. This also seems to be functioning properly.

So I go to Place that PowerPlant [Problem 1] it doesn't show the building until I click again on the terrain. Your demo is butter smooth you click on the house and the cursor becomes the construction object right away.
    Mine's invisible till I left click again. I set my building up like you did. With construction object disabled and assigned.

It uses up the currency I accrued without actually placing the building. [Problem 2]
    [Observation]
    The building doesn't set into the ground it floats with the cursor. Iv noticed that the Unit behaves like its trying to build it. So If I hold my cursor close enough it will actually build my building, also during this state if i move it around the unit in a circle the unit rotates to face it. However as soon as I move the cursor away...or click off it. The building disappears.

I do receive this error:
    BuildingPlacement.PlaceBuilding () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Buildings/Scripts/BuildingPlacement.cs:183)
    BuildingPlacement.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Buildings/Scripts/BuildingPlacement.cs:105)

I was attempting something a bit unconventional with one of my factions units. For 1 of my factions the intention was to allow some of the Combat Infantry to also be able to build structures. So they have both Attack and Build scripts on them. I tried disabling the attack script from the unit as well and it still occurred.

I'm more than happy to provide anymore info on my woes, just let me know what you need :)
    I'm stuck, and quite certain it something I did incorrectly, but I'm just unable to ascertain what the heck it is.
    None of the scripts have been modified in anyway.
    I'm on 1.1.0 on Unity 5.6.1f1 Personal

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  43. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Nevermind...Well this is an example of what happens when your layers are not setup properly on the object LOL >_>;
    I am so sorry!!!!

OussamaB likes this.
  44. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

I was having the same issue till i notice all the HQ bordering building stuff was gone i was like "ohh thats why its not working" Also are you having a issue with your AI not being able to build from a Resource being generated like for a Example a Power Planet?

45. OussamaB

OussamaB

This issue has been reported. Working on a fix for the next update.

CPTEliteWarfare likes this.
  46. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Also wanted ask idk if it already there but is there support for 2 Different Capital Prefabs. For Example Faction 1 has a Space ship as a HQ then Faction 2 has a Normal Building HQ.

Because looks like there only for one HQ and the Factions types have to build around that one HQ
    Looking at this from the MFactionManager

47. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

I also notice with the new Update 1.1.0 , the Civilian units when playing multiplayer they take the resource to the HQ and wait there really close to it for 3 - 5 seconds then leave , When you have more Civilians they just get cramped together and stuck near the HQ trying to drop the resources off

48. OussamaB

OussamaB

In the Game Manager inspector, you can set custom capital buildings for the factions (look at the picture below).

Looking into it. Thanks for reporting.
    But is there no wait time for other movement orders? or is it considerably shorter?

49. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Than you for the HQ answer

Also idk if this helps or anything but when the unit is built in Multiplayer for Player 2 - 4 their units seem to spawn and given a Move command without even ordering them to by the Player. There is a wait time between Player move orders maybe like a half second delay

50. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Also other bug found while playing Multiplayer with the Team, When Units attack each other one of the player units still have health but the other Player unit has 0 health and still alive but on their screen it shows that their unit has health and the other player they against doesnt have health. Sync issues im guessing? , Also my unit had health on my screen and i ordered him to attack the HQ and he brought the health down to 0 and nothing happened but yet again my buddy which i was playing against said that i had 0 health on the Unit and that his HQ is on full health and not hurt , Also the error with the ResourcGenerator.cs script it seems like it only happens on Multiplayer and when it does it is when the building that has that script is attach to it doesnt build its actual building it just stays in Construction Model

We will try to get a recording of some of the issues so you can see whats happening. Ill also put the error logs we got

ERROR LOGS:

at ResourceGenerator.Start () [0x00001] in C:\Users\EliteWarfare\Documents\EliteAnimations-RTS\Assets\Code\RTS Engine\Buildings\Scripts\ResourceGenerator.cs:40

at ResourceGenerator.Update () [0x00001] in C:\Users\EliteWarfare\Documents\EliteAnimations-RTS\Assets\Code\RTS Engine\Buildings\Scripts\ResourceGenerator.cs:71