Search Unity

1. All Pro and Enterprise subscribers: find helpful & inspiring creative, tech, and business know-how in the new Unity Success Hub. Sign in to stay up to date.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Unity RTS Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Feb 7, 2017.

1. OussamaB

OussamaB

Current progress regarding the RTS Engine 2.0 can be found at #rts-engine-2-updates channel in the Discord server.

I now have a private repository where 5 users, whose time is very appreciated, are testing the new engine. I will probably be taking in 2-3 more testers, at least for the near future. All code has been or will be rewritten from scratch with emphasis on performance and scalability with ease.

I am taking my time working on this major upgrade mainly due to the fact that I am trying to build a framework and not just an asset that you can reskin. The goal is to open up customization through a comprehensible API and allow the community to submit their modifications and mods built on top of the framework. I have came to realize that this is the best way to allow everyone to really customize the asset to their liking and the best way to proceed about it is to have a feature-rich framework instead of attempting to build all possible features that a RTS game might include by myself. If you are not a coder and but still like to implement custom behavior then this upgrade would allow the community who wish to mod the engine to share their work. So the goal is to provide community-created solutions to the custom behavior you are looking for. I will be also actively working closely with users who wish to create these custom solutions.

A patch for V1 will hit the asset store by next week when some requests and bug fixes will be submitted.

Thank you for your continuous support!

2. koremeltdown

koremeltdown

Hello, I am having trouble making multiplayer function following directions in the documentation using rts_engine provided assets/demo scene.

Steps to recreate problem:
    1 - Import RTS_Engine from Asset Store
    2 - Import Mirror from Asset Store
    3 - Add “RTSENGINE_MIRROR” to configurations
    4 - Download & import RTS Engine Mirror Integration Package @ http://soumidelrio.com/docs/unity-rts-engine/multiplayer-mirror/
    5 - Create Multiplayer menu scene as per instructions (uses demo map by default)
    6 - Create build .exe for client PC (PC-2)
    7 - Run game on client PC (PC-2), Run game (multiplayer menu scene) from editor on host PC (PC-1)
    8 - Host from editor (PC-1), join from client PC with built .exe (PC-2)
    9 - Check Ready on both PCs and start game

I get the following errors.

screen_error.PNG
    errors.PNG

Am I missing a step in getting this set up correctly? Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, thanks.

3. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks a lot for reporting this issue. This is most probably due to an update in Mirror that I have to account for in the integration package.

A patch will be submitted tomorrow where a fix will be provided.

4. OussamaB

OussamaB

Just submitted a small patch which includes some necessary bug fixes. Here's the update list for 1.5.9:
    • Removed deprecated GUI Layer from the main cameras in the demo scenes.
    • Fixed refreshing LOS obstacle detection.
    • Fixed an issue with deselecting a group of selected entities of the same type when holding down the multiple selection key.
    • Fixed resetting animator parameters when the override controller is changed.
    • Fixed a bug where local audio sources are not properly tracked and their volume is not correctly set when they are initiated.
    • Fixed error message in multiplayer lobby menu that is triggered when the minimum amount of factions is not met.
    • Updated Mirror to latest version and fixed the integration package.
    • Added option to toggle zooming in and out with the main camera when the player is placing a building.
    V2.0 is coming a long way, make sure to visit our Discord server and check the updates posted there!

5. OussamaB

OussamaB

I have been posting RTS Engine V2 related updates in the discord server but since we are near the finish line, I'll be also posting updates here since not everyone is on the Discord server.

So I really wanted to release the upgrade on the 1st of November but it is unfortunately not looking like that. I have been working hard in the past month to mainly finalize multiplayer and custom time handling and I am really happy with the results.

I have added/fixed a lot of things in the last weeks but here are the main changes:
    • You no longer need to bother with scripting define symbols for the multiplayer (and all future RTS Engine extensions) as it is now a plug and play extension.
    • You can now pick initial resources from the single player or multiplayer lobbies.
    • - Multiplayer packages are now shipped with a unique identifier allowing the server and each client to be 100% about running the same commands in the same order.
    • Handling of player disconnection during a multiplayer game with host migration.
    • Added the TimeModifier service which handles timers and time modified values (movement speed, task reload time, cooldowns, etc..) allowing to pause a multiplayer game without messing with Unity's time and allowing to speed up/down or pause the game easily.
    • Added TerrainAreaType as a new data type that defines terrain areas besides the pathfinding system that is used. This allows to have different areas within the same navigation area and makes restrictions (such as placing buildings in certain areas of the terrain) easier to handle.
    • Added search obstacles that act as additional pathfinding obstacles but they can be used and considered on player commands only (or on all commands) and/or on specific terrain area types.
    • Removed GodMode and replaced it with DevTools services where each tool can be activated/deactivated independently.
    • UnitCarrier component now allows to stay active without movement when they are stored inside it.
    • Each task can now have its own cursor sprite and hotspot defined in case it is associated to an awaited task.
    • All UI components are now optional, meaning that they can be removed and the game runs fine. This allows you to either extend them or build your own UI from scratch since all UI components rely on global events to know what to display at any given moment.
    • The minimap camera can now use a Render Texture. All minimap related components are also now optional.

6. Shadowing

Shadowing

What does "we are getting near the finish line" mean?
    Is a save mode not going to be added?
    Only reason I stop working on my RTS cause there is no save mode.
    Thats even more important than multi player.

7. OussamaB

OussamaB

Not in in the initial release of V2.

8. OussamaB

OussamaB

And here is a video of the new Barracks building in action.

This video showcases how tasks and their UI is now handled, the new UnitCarrier component that allows units to remain active when they are stored, Healer component on a building that exclusively heals stored units and finally entity upgrades (notice how stored units remain in the barracks when it is upgraded and how a new unit carrier slot is available post the upgrade).

9. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ahh ok you had me worried there lol.

10. RJP3

RJP3

I know it has been asked before in he past...now that version 2.0 is close to being out...is there plans to add mobile touch support in the future ?

Thank you for the great asset!!!!

11. OussamaB

OussamaB

While mobile touch support will not be available in the initial release. I do not see why that would not be added as future extension. There is a default service that handles selection in the RTS Engine (selection service) and a new selection service can implement the same interface and replace it by adding functionality for mobile controls. So this is definitely possible but I would not give any time estimates, at least not before the upgrade is released.

12. RJP3

RJP3

thank you for the update!!

13. OussamaB

OussamaB

RTS Engine 2.0 is currently in BETA which will continue until the beginning of the next year (2021). With the help of testers, we are able to test the new systems, fix issues that may arise and continue working on adding the final batch of features. In addition, a comprehensible API and beginner video tutorials will be available as part of the documentation when the upgrade is released.

Request Access to RTS Engine 2.0 BETA:

Please submit this form and you should have access to the beta GitHub repository in 24 hours. Make sure to enter your GitHub email address and RTS Engine invoice number.

And here are a few screenshots I took of the new demo map while testing today:

TIMTAN_DRM likes this.
  14. viktorkadza

viktorkadza

Hello , just installed RTS Engine. Got this errors: upload_2020-11-18_21-7-36.png
    Unity 2020.1.13f1

[Solved]
    it was because name conflicts

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  15. OussamaB

OussamaB

Glad you solved it!
    By the way, if you were the user who posted a review to report this issue on the Asset Store, I would appreciate if you could update your review. Thank you!

You can also start using RTS Engine 2.0 directly, you can apply for the BETA using this form.

16. viktorkadza

viktorkadza

17. TIMTAN_DRM

TIMTAN_DRM

@OussamaB
    I'm one of your fans who bought the asset several years ago, LOL, and may I ask when will we have mobile version for this RTS engine, do you have any plan? I remembered I asked this before, several years ago,,LOL.. I really like your asset but I really like a mobile one. And Most of players are mobile players, I suggest we can develop the mobile version. Thx & have a good day.

18. OussamaB

OussamaB

While it is planned, It currently does not have the highest priority. I would like to have the initial release of RTS Engine 2.0 sorted out first and then will have better estimations for other features.

19. TIMTAN_DRM

TIMTAN_DRM

Got it, thanks.

20. OussamaB

OussamaB

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone here! Thanks for your support and assistance to make the RTS Engine a framework that accelerates the development of your RTS games!

The asset is currently at 40% OFF to celebrate the new year so if you missed the last sale, this is your chance to get the asset at a discounted price!

I have recently completed working on the new NPC system and other new features for RTS Engine V2. Be sure to check the Discord server for the latest development updates for V2!

MegaCo likes this.
  21. plufz

plufz

Hi!

I bought your rts asset during sunday and at the same time filled in the beta request form. I have not received anything on github from what I can see. I could not find any "invoice number" on the asset store, only "order #" which is what I filled in the form. Was that not correct or have I done something else wrong since I have not received a link? When I tried to use your contact form on the website it just says that it can't connect to the recaptcha server.

Edit: Now I see that this seems to be an asset store bug. I'll try again when I have gotten the invoice number from unity support.

Regards, Emil

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  22. plufz

plufz

Also, does RTS Engine work with URP? I kinda guessed it would but I'm having a little trouble setting it up in URP, the units, buildings and terrain doesnt seem to show. If it does not work now how far away is support for that?

All the best!

23. OussamaB

OussamaB

The RTS Engine is supposed to work with different pipelines since it does not provide with rendering-related components but things like selection textures, cameras and visual elements need to be fitted differently for each rendering pipeline. By the release of V2, I am planning to make the demo game work with different pipelines and I'll then have a basic understanding of what needs to be changed/converted for each pipeline.

MegaCo likes this.
  24. ALmordor

ALmordor

Rts engine supports localization of names factions, units,buildings etc. to other languages? Or only one language?

TH3UNKN0WN_1337 likes this.
  25. angelina_amsterdam

angelina_amsterdam

Dear all, maybe someone can help.. No matter what I do I cannot open RTS engine in Unity. It doesn't appear in Package manager, I cannot open it through Open in Unity button... How do I open it? Thanks )

26. OussamaB

OussamaB

If you have access to V2, there is a component called GameUITextDisplayManager which all UI components refer to when they want to display any text. That is the gateway I am going to use to create a localization module later on for V2 so yeah the base is there but since there are more urgent things I need to work on first, this is going to have wait a bit.

27. OussamaB

OussamaB

I am not entirely sure here. Is this happening with other assets other than the RTS Engine or not? Maybe it is a Unity package manager related bug? If you do not have other assets just grab a free one from the store and try to import it.

28. mathonmichael

mathonmichael

Good morning ! I'm new to Rts Engine. I learn basic stuff like placing map, units for factions, and run game on network lan.

Trouble comes when I turn the project for android mobile platform.
    I got errors from NetworkLobby_Mirror.cs claiming that "FactionSlot" does not contain a definition for "ConnID_Mirror" accepting a first argument of type "FactionSlot" could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference ? )

29. T_Slothrop

T_Slothrop

I've been working through the intro tutorial, and have a simple new structure prefab I want to have stand in as my player Capital for now. It works in my test map except for its health bar not appearing on mouse hover. I do see the health bar object working on the default demo objects in the map.

30. OussamaB

OussamaB

The RTS Engine does not work out of the box for Android or any other mobile platform (you would be able to make an Android build but there are no native mobile controls at the moment) but I do not think this error is related to the platform.

Does this also occur on the editor or a standalone build?

31. OussamaB

OussamaB

Maybe it has to do with the health bar height that is too low for your building's model? Check the BuildingHealth component inspector and play with the "Hover Health Bar Y" field to get it to a visible height.

32. photosho

photosho

Hello. Can I access RTS Engine 2 beta testing? Yesterday sent a form, but nothing came.

33. OussamaB

OussamaB

You should have received an invitation by now in your inbox (or a failure notification in case you submitted a wrong invoice number).

34. photosho

photosho

Thank you, I got access to the repository. I am very grateful!

35. chaenator

chaenator

Hi, I submitted the form yesterday for beta access and have yet to receive anything. Let me know what to do next

36. Karifan

Karifan

Hi OussamaB,
    Thank you for the asset. Slowly grinding v1.x ..
    I've sent a request to authorise me in Discord (elevate me from the read-only mode) as well as for access to Engine V2 somewhat a week ago (invoice number included). Could you look into this, please?
    Thanks!

37. Sheepa

Sheepa

I also sent a request, I hope it arrived. Thank you.

38. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello, sorry for the late responses. You should have now either received an invitation to the private repository or a failure e-mail if you have entered incorrect information. Please check your inboxes!

39. OussamaB

OussamaB

The RTS Engine is part of the Asset Store's spring sale event and it is currently available for 50% OFF!
    You can grab the RTS Engine now and request access to the V2 private repository!

As some of you might already know, I've been busy with working on my thesis for the last couple months and I am currently in the final stages of writing it so I will be able to put that behind me soon and therefore dedicate more time to the asset development. Here are the highlights of what happened since the last update:

- Fixed an issue that re-initialized the health component of a faction entity when it is converted to a new faction.
    - Fixed placing buildings by clients in multiplayer games
    - Fixed sending selected units to construct a building that is placed by the client in a multiplayer game
    - Fixed sending faction defeat commands when a client times out in an active game
    - Fixed cancelling a pending "lobby join" request
    - Fixed reloading the main multiplayer menu when leaving an active game
    - Updated unit and resource creation to be game master only inputs
    - Fixed enforcing the attack range for attack units who can attack while moving
    - Added effect object for move-attack commands that appears on the target movement position when the move-attack key is held by the local player when initiating a movement command.
    - Removed handling resource UI in the ResourceManager and created dedicated UI components for it
    - Fixed collecting resources outside the player's territory when the target resource allow it
    - Added the ability for Border component to scan already spawned resources when it is initiated so that it can see what already spawned resources are inside its defined territory
    - Enabled mouse hover on resource tasks in demo map and added brief descriptions for resource types to be displayed on resource tasks tooltips
    - Removed debug print statement
    - Fixed re-triggering progress animation when a unit is actively working and it is commanded to work on the same target
    - Added camera follow addon component for selected entities
    - Added PlayerMessageHandler manager component that receives error messages, interprets them and redirect them to the player
    - Added audio management and player message management services to local and multiplayer lobbies
    - Fixed adding carriable units to a valid unit carrier of a free faction
    - Fixed NPCUnitCreator to check for capacity of population resource only when population resource is valid
    - Fixed static worker positions getting stuck by adding a terrain area checker in initialization
    - Added the option to specify horizontal or vertical spacing separately for the row movement formation with the option to use "spacing" property for both.
    - "soft" Fix for NPCUnitBehaviourManager keeping track of "dead" NPC units which causes issues in the NPC manager since it validates all syncable actions and it is not finding record of the dead units
    - Added local event raised when a faction entity faction update is complete
    Added checks for initialization for entity faction target and health components
    - Fixed checking for target interactiblity when target is not assigned (terrain attack case for attack faction entities)

Besides that, I have added support for A* Pathfinding Project which is currently in a separate branch here: https://github.com/unity-rts-engine...Assets/RTS Engine/Extensions/AStarPathfinding
    The extension allow to make use of both Grid and Navmesh graphs in addition to directly plugging and using the asset's AIPath and RichAI components. There is some refactoring still left to do involving merging some logic to avoid repetition but it is currently 100% functional. You can test the demo scenes in that branch and make sure to read the README file in the above link when setting up the extension in your project.
    Message #rts-engine-2-updates

40. wdt

wdt

Hi there. I sent a request for access to v2 Beta yesterday (had to resend as I didn't include IN in front of the invoice number. Not received anything yet, is it possible to send me link for acess? Many thanks.

41. grionseengel

grionseengel

Hello, when will there be an extension with save and load?

Shadowing likes this.
  42. Shadowing

Shadowing

I agree only reason i stop working on my project a year ago cause of no load and save.
    I've been using the EasySave asset works really well never had any problems with it.
    I say just integrate it with that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  43. OussamaB

OussamaB

You should have received an invitation by now, if not, please let me know.

44. OussamaB

OussamaB

Saving and loading is coming to V2 but that is gonna be after the release.

45. Shadowing

Shadowing

I really appreciate it man. I dont mind buying version 2 but was curious if its gonna be a asset that replaces this asset or what.

Ever since I saw how good of a coder you were I have so much faith in your abilities.
    I still think you should upgrade the graphics of the asset.
    I make good money as a game developer and I know how important graphics are.

46. OussamaB

OussamaB

You won't have to. If you own V1 now, you will be able to upgrade to V2 for free as a thank you for supporting the development of V2. V2 is a complete re-write of the asset to allow it to be more scalable in the long run.

True. I think having a better demo to showcase the features of the asset can only help me and help potential customers discover what the asset can offer them. I will be working on this before V2 is released.

Ne0mega likes this.
  47. wdt

wdt

Got it thanks.

48. hamilta

hamilta

I have had a chance to look at V2 and is looking good. Just wondered on possible release date as really looking forward to the tutorial videos mentioned as feel that would really help ?

gubbi likes this.
  49. mochenghh

mochenghh

Is V2 released now? Or just be able to read the source code in github?

50. RelitNadami

RelitNadami

Hi ! I was stuck in the creation of my game where humans clash and where the player embodies nature! But I was interested in the possibilities of V2 and then all become possible I will be able to plant trees and let the NPC factions harvest them! I wait impatiently for beta access! Thank you for your work !

unityunity