Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. On February 28th the Feedback website will shut down and be redirected to the Unity forums. See the full post for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity RTS Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Feb 7, 2017.

1. jobo22

jobo22

Hi, I'm having a problem with the minimap. I want to have a UI border around the minimap, but when I change the screen aspect ratio it doesn't stay inside the border. I have tried making it a child of the border, giving it a rect transform, and some other stuff but none of it has worked. If I display the minimap with a render texture and raw image, I can get it to stay inside the border because its a UI object, but clicking on the minimap to move the main camera doesn't work properly like that. I looked at your camera movement script and tried calling the minimap functions in one of my own scripts where I was detecting a click on the raw image, but I can't get that to work either. Is there some way you can make the minimap camera part of the UI so that it scales properly with different aspect ratios, and is still clickable? Thanks! :)

2. Kuoin

Kuoin

I've noticed on the demomap if the units are standing in a slope they wont / can't attack. Or is it just me?
    They also spasm out like crazy if standing on the edge going up \

3. Caruzo

Caruzo

Thank you for your quick response, @OussamaB

I was wondering how do you achieve perfect synchronization over the network with a navigation system (& pathfinding) such as the built-in Nav Mesh and Pathfinding of Unity as it is not deterministic?

4. OussamaB

OussamaB

I see the issue here. I would say that having the minimap be converted into a render texture permanently is the best solution but that will require quite some work and I'm trying to finish up the next two updates before December. So I'd ask for your patience for this one.

5. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hmm, I'm not sure how I can reproduce this issue. But have you tried increasing the movement stopping distance?

6. OussamaB

OussamaB

It's not really perfect. One trick is to disable collisions between all units, this would reproduce the same results since the local avoidance that the navigation system of Unity implements is so broken that it gets units stuck when moving and therefore will pose as a huge synchronization issue in multiplayer.

I have to admit, the multiplayer system right now is not really where I want to be. And with Unity deprecating UNET and still not offering an alternative solution yet, working on multiplayer has been put on hold and the focus right now is shifted over singeplayer.

7. OussamaB

OussamaB

So I just submitted v1.3.5, documentation will be updated over this weekend and the update will be available by early next week. Here are the main changes for this update:
    • Deprecated the old unit/building upgrade system.
    • Added a new unit/building upgrade system:
      • Added the Unit Upgrade component: must be attached to every unit that can be upgraded, it includes different upgrade settings such as the target unit to upgrade to and the new task info (description, icon, etc…) for the unit creation task.
      • Added the Building Upgrade component: must be attached to every building that can be upgraded, it includes different upgrade settings such as the target building to upgrade to and a field an upgrade effect object that appears when the upgrade is done.
      • Unit and building upgrades are now handled like regular tasks: they can launched from task launchers and they’re no longer treated as special types of tasks.
      • Added the Upgrade Manager component: handles all upgrade requests and syncs upgrades between different task launchers.
      • Added two new delegate events: one triggered when a unit is upgraded and the other is triggered when a building is upgraded. Both events provide references to the upgrade source and target.
      • Unit and building upgrades can be triggered by other unit and building upgrades and don’t have to be launched individually.
      • Unit/Building upgrades are now handled by separate NPC components which offer a couple of settings to define the behavior of a NPC faction in regards to upgrades.
    • Task Launcher now has a new toggle field called: “Use Once For All Instances” which is only visible when the toggle field Use Once is enabled. When both are enabled and the corresponding task is launched, the same task won’t be available to launch on other instances of the same task launcher.
    • Removed the “Faction Manager” field from the Game Manager component’s custom editor: You no longer have to pre-create the Faction Manager components for each faction in a map, they will be automatically created by the Game Manager.
    • Attackers that have “Attack In Range” enabled will now attack the closest unit in range instead of the first unit they find in range.
    • Added the Fire Archer unit in the demo scene that serves as an upgrade for the Archer unit.
    • Added the Tall Tower building for the demo scene which serves as an upgrade for the Small Tower building.
    • Added NPC Regulator components for the new units/buildings for the NPC factions in the demo scene
    • Fixed initializing the settings of free buildings that don’t belong to any faction.

Paul-Swanson likes this.
  8. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Super happy about this. That part was a huge pain. Thx!

OussamaB likes this.
  9. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I want to use only the building system for the game. Is that possible? Is the building system and the unit system well separated?

10. OussamaB

OussamaB

It is possible. You can buildings construct themselves automatically if you don't want to use units as builders.

11. Kuoin

Kuoin

So I want to upgrade a unit several times, let's say from level 1 - 5. Is there a way for the level 3 upgrade to appear only after level 2 has been purchased / upgraded?

12. OussamaB

OussamaB

This is unfortunately currently missing. I'll add this in a patch before the next update. I'll simply add an option where a task can be unavailable by default and is only unlocked when another task is completed.
    Expect a patch that will add this feature during this week.

meTonne likes this.
  13. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Hi,
    your asset looks great. Before buying and after playing the demo I have a few questions/concerns:

• if I select a group of workers and send them to a tree, only one starts chopping. The usual RTS way would be to just click on another ressource and the next worker keeps working and so on. In your demo you have to click and send them to the ressource one by one. Any chance to change that soon?
    • The second food pile in the demo cant be gathered. I built a city building and also can click on the pile (green frame) with my workers, they go there as well. But then they just stand there and dont start working. Seems like a bug, can you reproduce it and get rid of it soon?
    • Will there be an option to sell or destroy buildings?
    • Will there be an option to detect idle workers? Its hard like its now when they hide behind a building.
    • When I want to upgrade to fire archer it says I dont have enough ressources, but I do...
    • When I destroy an enemy city the game immidiatly hangs up/crashes. The crash only happens on invader mode.
    • converters get stuck and move one pixel after a while
    • converters dont convert the enemy party, enemy converters can convert mine though
    • after attacking and when the attack is over some of my units keep running towards the enemys base, even after I told them to move somewhere else
    Other than that it is a great asset and as long as its on sale I'll buy it as soon as you can tell me when and how these bugs will be tracked and even maybe that you implement some of the above features soon.

Thanks,

Hannes

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  14. OussamaB

OussamaB

This is because the maximum amount of resource collectors that a tree can have is 1. Therefore only one unit is sent to collect. That can be easily changed by increasing the maximum amount of resource collectors, which can be done straight form the inspector.

Just reproduced it and was able to fix it. The issue was the stopping distance was set to a very low value, that when a unit steps on a hill, the stopping distance value wasn't met. I increased it a little and it's now working like a charm.
    This is also the source of some other reported issues that happen when units are on a hill and they're supposed to execute something. Thanks a lot for pointing this out!

I'll update the demo ASAP and will include the fix in the next patch, which should be out this weekend.

An option for the player to destroy his own buildings you mean? If that's the case then yes, you can add a "Destroy" task for each building to make it self-destructible.

Added to my to-do list.

Fixed.

Fixed. This was caused because some of the NPC components were still active after the faction defeat.

I wasn't able to reproduce these two, I was able to use the converter to convert one of the enemy units.

Hmm, I guess these are Navmesh related issues. With the bugs you reported, I was able to tweak a lot of things and get way better results in terms of unit navigation. I'll update the demo and you let me know if this issue still persists since I couldn't really reproduce it.

15. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Wow, thanks for the fast and positive response. I just bought the asset. :)

About the workers: Its not exactly what I meant. It Would be cool, that if you have a group of lets say 4 workers chosen and click on a ressource that can be gatherd by 2, two of the 4 start working, theyre still all marked. If now I click on another ressource the remaining 2 start working there instead of reselecting them. Thats how it works in RTS gems usually. Not a big deal though.

Another thing I found: If you have a group selected with attackers, healers and converters and click on an enemy unit only the attackers start going there. It would be more helpful if they move there as a group IMO.

Talking about group selection: To save a group its conventional to press ctrl+number for example. Like you did it I have a group saved as #1 for example. If now I have another unit selected and want to quick load the group I have to deselect the unit and then click #1, because otherwise the selected unit becomes group #1. Thats a little confusing and not really intuitive.

Great you found and killed those bugs (maybe the convertes hget stuck thing was related to the navmesh as well, I think they stood on a hill).

Buildings: By selling I mean you sell it and get e.g 1/2 of the ressources back. But its fine for now if theyre destroyable.

Thanks for your work and fast fixes, looking forward to the next release.

Hannes

16. meTonne

meTonne

Hello,

I had the Fog of War and IA don't work ...
    Error :
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    RTSEngine.Building.CheckBuildingPos () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Buildings/Scripts/Building.cs:498)
    RTSEngine.NPCBuildingPlacer.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCBuildingPlacer.cs:124)

Maybe I make a mistake ...

I've a mistake on at the begining :
    RTS_FoWManager.Start () (at Assets/Integration Packs/Fog Of War/Scripts/RTS_FoWManager.cs:32)

I've got a FoW on the MainCam and the MinimapCam.

Thanks for your answers :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  17. OussamaB

OussamaB

Added to my to-do list, these are fairly easy to implement and will be added in the next update.

I've just submitted patch 1.3.5.1, here's the update list:
    • Tweaked movement settings for the demo scene's unit prefabs and re-baked the navigation mesh of the demo map with different settings to get better paths from units and avoid units getting stuck.
    • Added the option to make tasks available or not available to use by default.
    • Added the option to enable tasks when another task is completed.

18. OussamaB

OussamaB

You should have the "FogOfWarSecondary" component on the minimap camera and the "FogOfWar" component on the main camera. If you don't have those set up correctly, please do and let me know how it goes.

19. meTonne

meTonne

It's ok for the second ! Thank you ! :)

Building placement error are always here.

20. jobo22

jobo22

Hi, I have a question about the multiplayer. There is nothing in the docs about the Network Manager UNET Network Info section.

Network rts.PNG

Do you know what the process would be to use Steamworks matchmaking instead of UNET matchmaking and relay servers? I know you said we can use whatever servers/matchmaking service we want, with the networking being done with UNET. Is there some setting in the image above that we would have to change? Any info on this would be extremely helpful, thanks! :)

21. H3yPlaya

H3yPlaya

Hey, I have been trying to make my own RTS game, and I'm having a little trouble. I can't afford your RTS in the asset store, so I have been trying to figure this out on my own. When I click on my Temple(It's like that main base), I have a little icon spawn in the bottom right corner, but when I click on something else, that icon stays there. How do I get rid of the icon completely. I have tried LISTNAME.clear(), I have tried deleting the instantiated objects, but nothing is working.
    Please help me!

22. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Could you send the current version till it is released in the Store (I can Email my invoice number)?

23. OussamaB

OussamaB

I can reproduce that error when I don't have the "FogOfWar.cs" component attached to the main camera. Are you sure you have set up?

24. OussamaB

OussamaB

Some of the fields of the Network Lobby Manager are discussed here: http://soumidelrio.com/docs/unity-rts-engine/multiplayer-menu/default-network-lobby-manager/
    The rest (including the ones from the screenshot that you've posted) are discussed in Unity's manual here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-NetworkLobbyManager.html

Since that component wasn't created by me for the RTS Engine, I only discussed the most relevant fields, not all of them. I have now added a link to Unity's manual in the documentation to avoid future confusion.

jobo22 likes this.
  25. OussamaB

OussamaB

This forum thread is for RTS Engine support only. You'd have to post somewhere else (Unity answers, for example) to get help for this.

26. OussamaB

OussamaB

Unfortunately that's currently not possible for organizational reasons. Once the Asset Store approve the patch (which would happen in like 2 days max), that means it runs issue-free and a lot of issues can be avoided that way.

I'm thinking of allowing customers to a repository where they can get updates directly but still hasn't decided yet.

27. meTonne

meTonne

Hello,

I don't understand my problem, it is with lign :
    if (FogOfWar.GetFogOfWarTeam(FactionID).IsInFog(transform.position, 0.5f))

I checked all components, Fog of War is on Cam, Secondary on MinimapCam, All prefabs have RTS Hidden script on there selections obj, all prefabs have Fog of War Units. I make all verifications in documentation. I don't know where is the problem. :/

PS : all work for the human player, you can build all building and units. Problem is just with IA.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  28. Seling

Seling

After playing some months with your RTS engine, and finally getting stuck with the last update, by complexity of code and components also tired to recreate each time what I have coded to complete the functions, I have finally created from scratch my own version of an RTS environment.

Looking at the lastest concepts for Unity to do all things, I was really suprised to see how it was easy to create everything with the last tools of Unity and the most recent functions.

I think that you could really improved your engine by a huge cleaning of code and simplify a lot of things with the same result and better performances (pool are now useless, sound management, multi selection response, complexity of AI components).

29. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Hi,
    thanks for the update. I am getting this error:

RTSEngine.UpgradeManager.LaunchUpgrade (RTSEngine.UnitUpgrade unitUpgrade) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Upgrades/Scripts/UpgradeManager.cs:175)
    RTSEngine.TaskLauncher.OnTaskCompleted (Int32 taskID) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Tasks/Scripts/TaskLauncher.cs:355)
    RTSEngine.TaskLauncher.UpdateTasks () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Tasks/Scripts/TaskLauncher.cs:299)
    RTSEngine.TaskLauncher.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Tasks/Scripts/TaskLauncher.cs:235)

Also now and before the update the selection of multiple units is not really "smooth", it sometimes takes more than one try to select them.

And most importantly in my case: Is it possible to scale everything up easily? I need everything at a larger scale for my purpose, but selection, minimap etc. dont really work like supposed after doing so. Is there any easy workaround?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  30. OussamaB

OussamaB

I know recent updates haven't been easy for those who have been modifying the RTS Engine's code. But to be honest, there is no way to avoid that, I try to provide the delegate events and I advise everyone to use them on separate classes so that you don't modify anything in the main code but that is not an excuse. I'm attempting to clean a lot of complex code and have a solid base and as a cost, a lot of code is going to change. So sorry for that.

But it's nice that you have created your own version of an RTS environment from scratch, it's not an easy thing to do.

By latest concepts, can you give some examples? I would love to check them out.
    But if you're referring to features released in Unity 2018, I don't plan on using those yet because I still plan to support Unity 5.6.1f for a few more months. I don't remember where I saw this, but there was a chart released by Unity that shows that most Unity users currently use early versions of Unity 2017.

It's what the next update is for: cleaning up unit and building related components. And by that, clean up most of the code in the whole RTS Engine. In the updates that will follow, I'll still be able to cleanup the rest of the systems but that won't affect the RTS Engine users as they won't have to re-do anything. The next update will also include a tool that'll allow you to convert your unit and building prefabs into the new system.

Regarding "pools are now useless", what do you exactly mean by that?

I can understand your frustration regarding the complexity of some of the systems but all I can do is promise that it is going to change soon.

31. OussamaB

OussamaB

When does this exactly happen?

Can you let me know how much do you aim to scale everything up? I'd like to try that on the demo scene and see what's the easiest/quickest way to do so.

32. OussamaB

OussamaB

Oh okay, this narrows it down to an issue between the new AI system and the Fog Of War asset.
    I have successfully reproduced this issue and will provide you with a solution ASAP. Thanks for your patience!

33. meTonne

meTonne

Ok thank you for your fast answers ! :)

34. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Its caused by an object I created that can be updated. I set it up exactly like the tower but get this error. No clue whats going on, it is on line 56 when the code is being called.

Actually the scaling prob could be done by resizing my player to a smaller scale, so thats not a prob right now, the errors below are more significant IMO.

When I kill enemys in a custom way (shoot them with a FPS character), the object gets destroyed. However, the population counter doesnt change. Is there an easy to change that (if object gets destroyed, substract from counter)?

Theres more errors after the update (I only switched some models, not the scripts or anything):

RTSEngine.NPCBuildingUpgradeManager.IsUpgradeMatch (RTSEngine.TaskLauncher taskLauncher, Int32 taskID, RTSEngine.Upgrade`1 buildingUpgrade) (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCBuildingUpgradeManager.cs:41)
    RTSEngine.NPCUpgradeManager`1[T].UpdateUpgradeTasks (RTSEngine.TaskLauncher taskLauncher, Boolean add, RTSEngine.Upgrade`1 upgrade) (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCUpgradeManager.cs:115)
    RTSEngine.NPCBuildingUpgradeManager.OnBuildingUpgraded (RTSEngine.Upgrade`1 upgrade) (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCBuildingUpgradeManager.cs:30)
    RTSEngine.CustomEvents.OnBuildingUpgraded (RTSEngine.Upgrade`1 upgrade) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Scripting/Scripts/CustomEvents.cs:586)
    RTSEngine.UpgradeManager.LaunchUpgrade (RTSEngine.BuildingUpgrade buildingUpgrade) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Upgrades/Scripts/UpgradeManager.cs:64)
    RTSEngine.TaskLauncher.OnTaskCompleted (Int32 taskID) (at Assets/RTS Engine/Tasks/Scripts/TaskLauncher.cs:360)
    RTSEngine.TaskLauncher.UpdateTasks () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Tasks/Scripts/TaskLauncher.cs:299)
    RTSEngine.TaskLauncher.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/Tasks/Scripts/TaskLauncher.cs:235)

and

RTSEngine.NPCResourceCollector.GetTargetCollectorsAmount (RTSEngine.ResourceToCollectInfo rtc) (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCResourceCollector.cs:282)
    RTSEngine.NPCResourceCollector.Update () (at Assets/RTS Engine/AI/Scripts/NPCResourceCollector.cs:260)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  35. meTonne

meTonne

Hi,

I don't know if you know it but when you select an ennemi unit you can move it with right clic on minimap.

:)

36. unity_ElVfcy1GAoiN4A

unity_ElVfcy1GAoiN4A

Hey everyone! Could anyone explain me whats is wrong here? If im making default building vilagers building it and building apears!! , But this building checked ByDefault, and why Capital spawning anyways even if my building should spawn in Capital place...im rly confused.. Can't find any tutorials how to make it work...spent 3 days to trying make my own building to work!!

Attached Files:

37. OussamaB

OussamaB

I was able to find the issue. There's something that I forgot to modify when the NPC system was re-written.

Simple replace the line that's causing the null reference exception with the following line:

Code (csharp):
    2.             if (FactionID == GameManager.PlayerFactionID && FogOfWar.GetFogOfWarTeam(FactionID).IsInFog(transform.position, 0.5f))

38. OussamaB

OussamaB

When setting up the upgrade task, are you sure you've linked the prefab that will get upgraded to the task?
    For example, in the demo scene, the Small Tower building can be upgraded using a task that is managed by a task launcher attached to the building prefab's itself. But you still have to link it to the actual task like this:

This is required since upgrade tasks can be launched by task launchers that aren't necessarily attached to the unit/building that's getting upgraded.

It seems like those errors are linked to the upgrade issue you're having. The NPC faction is attempting to perform the upgrade but it can't find the prefab that is supposed to be upgraded.

39. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks a lot for reporting this. It has been fixed and the fix will be available in the next patch.

meTonne likes this.
  40. OussamaB

OussamaB

In your last e-mail, you mentioned that this issue was resolved. Let me know if you need anything else!

41. mcchief

mcchief

OussamaB,

You're doing a great job in your support of this asset. I'm VERY MUCH hoping you do step-by-step tutorials for setting new maps, units, buildings, etc. For noobs like me, that will be invaluable as I don't know Unity well enough to get a lot done without basic guidance.

Keep up the great work! I gave your Asset a 5-star review.

42. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks a lot for the kind words and for the review. I really appreciate the support.

I'll start putting step by step tutorial out on January. There's one update I need to finish up before.
    For now, I'd recommend the documentation on my website because everything is explained there. Even if there's step by step tutorials, I'd still recommend you to read the whole documentation at least once.

43. mcchief

mcchief

I have read quite a bit of the documentation, but I will continue to do so. Looking forward to your tutorials! Again, thanks for your hard work!

44. Kuoin

Kuoin

Another idea with the upgrade system, let's say a unit has two upgrades but you can only pick one of them. The upgrade that is not picked disappears for the rest of the game. This can be good if you want your units to have different upgrade paths, like one focuses on damage or HP.

45. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

Hi, no it is setup correctly, I double checked it.

46. meTonne

meTonne

Hello !

For your information, the Fog of War asset is update ! ^^

meTonne

47. OussamaB

OussamaB

Is the tower upgrade working for you? I just tested it and it's working issue-free here.
    There seem to be something missing in the configuration and I don't seem to know what it is.
    Can you please post screenshots of the task launcher that manages this upgrade task? And is it attached on the building prefab that's getting upgraded or not?

48. OussamaB

OussamaB

So you mean that one unit/building prefab can have multiple upgrades? Good suggestion, added to my todo-list.

49. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for the heads up, will check if the new update causes any issues in the integration pack. Did it cause any issue for you by any chance?

50. HanAusBerlin

HanAusBerlin

It was the unit prefab under custom settings which was empty. Now it works like a charm. No I am diving into the animation system - so far I must say your asset is well done, usability is great and almost anything is self explanatory. Rating follows soon! :)

OussamaB likes this.