Search Unity

Unity RTS Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Feb 7, 2017.

1. OussamaB

OussamaB

Have you been following the documentation in the order they're made in? It's all explained there.
    In the docs it clearly states that the faction name that you enter in the game manager will be simply shown in the UI to identify the faction, the faction type is used to refer to what unique buildings/units and tasks the faction can have. You simply define the faction types in the same component's inspector and that's it. This allows you to have 3 players who have the same faction type but they all have different names and colors to differentiate between each other.

It would also help to ask for specific questions so I would suggest you to attempt to do something like

jobo22 likes this.
  2. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks a lot for the bug report, will be fixed!

jobo22 likes this.
  3. OussamaB

OussamaB

You can definitely replace everything in the asset, all source code is available including the AI.
    However editing the AI would require you to know how all other components in the RTS Engine work.

Can you explain more what you mean by superweapon behaviors? Do you mean special abilities? If that's the case then yes. If the Attack component is not enough for you to create an ability for a unit then you could always rely on the custom delegate events that are Attack related and from there control what happens when the unit locks a target, gets in range of a target as well as when the unit is supposed to launch an attack on the target.

This is unfortunately not available, might be added in the future though.

4. Seling

Seling

Most RTS games have superweapons like nuclear missile, huge AoE from stellar ion cannon, etc...
    My main point was to know if your targeting system allows to add a weapon to a building which is not a turret and can manage a warhead through the map with a balistic trajectory to a strike point.

Thx for yours answers to my previous questions.

5. OussamaB

OussamaB

The RTS Engine doesn't directly support that, but I would say it's fairly easy to implement that behavior.

6. OussamaB

OussamaB

Just submitted a bug fixes update v1.2.3.5

- Fixed attack reload bug.
    - Updated map configuration prefab.
    - Fixed box selection for Unity 2017.4.
    - Fixed Game Manager inspector editor.

The planned big update will be available on 12th May. Thanks a lot for your patience!

Warspawn and jobo22 like this.
  7. Vulpine-Complex

Vulpine-Complex

I just have to say, thank you so much for this asset pack. I've got some hacking ahead of me as I wanna try and carve this into more of a Command & Conquer style RTS (which seems to be a reoccurring theme in the thread, but hey, I'm not gonna complain about more RTS games) but the framework is stellar. Looking forward to the new update!

8. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks a lot for your kind words, that's what keeps me motivated to work on this more!

As for the Command & Conquer style RTS, it has been indeed mentioned a couple of times in this thread. But the focus right now is on the core mechanics (mainly pathfinding and multiplayer) and once that's out of the way, the focus will be set on other highly requested features such as this one. Hope you understand!

Vulpine-Complex likes this.
  9. Seling

Seling

I have another question linked to your documentation and some reviews.

It is unclear how you manage the factions.
    Someone said in a review that everything is linked to each map.

Can you confirm that the maps and the faction manager are two different parts?
    So that we don't need to recreate everything for each map?

10. OussamaB

OussamaB

Well, in an attempt from me to bring more customization so that you can allow specific factions to play on certain maps and to have faction types have different unique buildings/units/tasks in different maps I separated.

However this will be changed due to the requests I got regarding this feature (will not be available in the next update though because that's already done, but will be available in the one after it).

11. WithinAmnesia

WithinAmnesia

Not to rush anything but if you where to give a rough estimate of when the demo version 2 is to be released when would you wager that to become? I want to test the new engine and see where I can tinker may game schematics into a game worth playing via this Real Time Strategy engine. I want to make a great game yet I need the tools and opportunity to do so. We all do.

Also what unit leveling / unit upgrade systems do you offer / plan to offer with the R.T.S. engine? Also I have worked a great deal on a six attribute system; I wish to have this be included for unit attributes as to how Warcraft III has Strength, Agility, Intellect I wish to have that system but with six attributes of my own design. There must be a way to implement this; attributes are a huge part in adding depth and player choice and repeatability into games and to plant seeds for future franchise iterations.

Also what are your plans for adding a hero system? Heroes add a focal point to drive campaigns and to give power to players with focusing effort into one or two heroes to drive a flank and or push an adjective. People have limited amounts of focus; heroes offer a player a strong point to exploit the map and give strong game play experience for not everyone is great a managing 50 units in real time; simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Heroes with cut-scenes offer a way to drive a story and expand the game's world and give meat to the bones of a game's experience. Look at Defense of the Ancients (D.o.t.A.), without the heroes system in Warcraft III that titanically successfully game series would not exist. Please add heroes; they are a major successful component to Warcraft III, a game which is still played and is getting a huge update after an astounding 15 years of play. People love heroes; please add heroes. Please look at these heroes for inspiration:
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/human/units/
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/orc/units/
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/nightelf/units/
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/neutral/

In Warcraft III there are items which heroes can add to a simplified inventory system to increase their combat attributes and even add additional clickable abilities to said hero unit which has the item equipped in their simplified inventory. Here are examples of items in Warcraft III (please study Warcraft III in general, birds of a feather flock together, light gets lighter, dark gets darker - if you hang around the barber shop long enough you will get your hair cut):
    Master link: http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/heroitems.shtml
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/heroitemspermanent.shtml
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/heroitemsartifact.shtml
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/heroitemsconsumed.shtml

Also with items please add a power up system like in Warcraft III where with a selected hero unit the player can click on a power up on the map and be it health or mana or a temporary buff of some-type empowerment place upon the hero unit and to mix things up a little. It adds depth and 'buff storage' and another simple yet effective way to plan and manage on-map resources. Here are Warcraft III hero powerups that drop off on enemies once slain, or are bought in shops (shops are a another huge feature for both single and multiplayer games) or are hidden in destructible on-map objects (Please study Warcraft III is is a literally gold mine for game design):
    - http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/heroitemspowerups.shtml

Items are an important game design feature for myself for they can be used as a long term way of adding content to my game world / franchise bit by bit and to feed off other games in the series over time. This strength can be found in many Blizzard franchises and game iterations. It allows for long term seeds to be planted and to give future games more character by paying homage to older games with similar item / content iterations that mimic content in the older games.

Items also offer player choice customization and above all else depth for items can be mixed and matched and optimized and give replay-ability. In multiplayer matches items give meaningful player choices to add another layer to counter and or exploit the opposition's strategies. Items are a fountain of youth in terms of keeping a game able to deliver to content; look at World of Warcraft as it adds content to keep the game active and relevant, maps, heroes and items, maps and items: Items, more items always more items.

Instead of a bland cookie cutter ways of playing the game with rigid character / unit types; items offer a way to mix up the game play and give tremendous depth and developer choice into creating new creative ways to achieve victory in a game. Be it in single player campaigns to collect relics and to open pathways (such as with these kinds of campaign items: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Category:Warcraft_III_campaign_items ) or in multiplayer to give diverse player options in how to counter and exploit tier opponent. Items offer a modular way to upgrade and challenge the player to find strategies that they enjoy and can replay to find and or to optimize and iterate on their path to become better a player.

Now I wish to thank you very much for taking the time thus far to read and consider these points. I have studied game design for a long time and all of these points are very critical in improving this Real Time Strategy engine into a platform to launch a game series into orbit. Many, many people cannot make the tools they need to thrive to save their life but like most great artists once given the proper tools and opportunities they can create great works of art and the world will never be the same again.

You have this opportunity to empower greatness in the world: here with this game engine. It can either be mediocre make a few bucks and fade away like all the rest; or you can want more from life and you can stand firm and offer above and beyond the call of duty. The world needs a great open R.T.S engine and you may be the only person to be able to deliver this golden opportunity unto the world.

We are all going to die, you never get yesterday back. Comfort or fulfillment, apathy and entropy or pain and progress. Effort is the difference maker, if one gives into life and says 'this is too hard, this is too much' and says to life's adversities 'I yield'; life will give to one: Nothing. Yet if one digs in, and fights back, pushes forward no matter what, goes down with the ship, and says to life 'this will never be enough to break my will, I will never yield'; only then when life throws everything at one's self: pain, failure, loss and frustration yet one keeps pushing onward, through and past the darkness and into the light; to believe in the dawn after the night and to finally through darkness become the light; to kill your weakness to birth your god given greatness and when one stands tall on the battlefield where their is nothing left but the broken who have fallen and the unyielding that stand - only then will life, battered, exhausted, depleted and wholly spent will bend to your will, then break to your will and then finally yield to your will: Everything.

cidiego and OussamaB like this.
  12. Seling

Seling

Good to read this.
    A faction manager with a tech level variable or something linked to each map to deny a unit or a building would do the job and it will be easier to modify the context of factions on each map.

Are you sure that you speak about an engine? :rolleyes:
    It seems that you wait a complete game with all of yours needs for some modding activities :D

jobo22 likes this.
  13. jstoeffler

jstoeffler

Hi !

The documentation is very useful (most assets don't have such a step by step tutorial) but I think it would be even better if some issues were fixed.

Ex the first paragraph of http://soumidelrio.com/docs/unity-rts-engine/units/general-units-components/ says :
    • to add the component to the main building when we're talking about the unit
    • to set "Is Trigger" to false, but the screen capture shows true

These pages are empty:
    Some pages have missing properties like the Border script is missing the "Spawn Border Obj" :
    Also the "Attack Building" script that this page says to add: http://soumidelrio.com/docs/unity-rts-engine/buildings/the-defense-component/ doesn't exist anymore as

Also I don't understand on this page: http://soumidelrio.com/docs/unity-rts-engine/units/units-main-component/ the difference between thos:
    • Unit Animator: Drag and drop the unit’s animator in this field (if the animator is placed on the main unit’s object then you can ignore this, it will be set automatically)
    • Main Animator Controller: Drag and drop here the main animator for this unit.
    Actually I think I know what the 1st one is (the animator of the unit), but I don't understand the 2nd one.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    jobo22 likes this.
  14. Vulpine-Complex

Vulpine-Complex

My apologies, I didn't want to insinuate a feature request. :) What you've made already is fantastic and I'm really looking forward to the new version on the 12th.

A question and an issue though:

Issue: Selection boundary seems to be acting up when clicking and dragging the mouse. It will bounce between originating at the center of the screen and originating where the mouse cursor is as you move the mouse.

Question: While thumbing through the code, it looks like AI players are specifically barred from any MP matches. Are there any plans to allow AIs into multiplayer matches, or is there an easy hack to allow them?

jobo22 likes this.
  15. OussamaB

OussamaB

Around the 12th of May, the demo will be available and the update will be submitted to the store and it's then upon to the asset store team to accept it.

Well you can upgrade units directly by replacing them with another unit prefab (if you are advancing from one age to another and you want to change the unit looks, this allows you to do that). However you can also upgrade one unit or a group of units' abilities (such as speed, unit/building damage, max health, etc..).
    So allowing the RTS Engine user to create attributes is a great suggestion but the problem is how useful are these abilities in terms of real combat in the game? I mean, Speed literally defines how fast the player can actually move in the game and you can see the player go faster when speed is increased but what would happen if Strength is increased? Or do you want the attributes to sit there as "stats" but you take care of changing the right variables for the unit?

The plan right now for the update that's coming after v1.3.0 is to focus down on the AI and build a mission/quest system so that you can make a single player campaign. Heroes is something that has been suggested in the past but it does seem way too specific to add for the asset as I try to stay away from game specific features but at the same time offer all the possibilities to allow the user to implement them on his own. In conclusion the hero system is unfortunately not a priority now.

In the sense of that you can only have one hero of each type at once and in the sense of that heroes often have multiple abilities, that is both achievable even in the current RTS Engine version. A little bit of coding for the first one and nothing but playing with the inspector for the second one would help achieve that.

I'm a huge fan of Warcraft III and it has been one of the main influences (along with the AoE series and RoN) that led me to create the RTS Engine. Yet I'm going to apologize again and let you know that the inventory system is not the priority right now. This might be available somewhere between Juin and July.

I now have the urge to jump into a Warcraft III game. Thank you haha. As I said above, items would have to wait a bit.
    However I can't thank you enough for taking the time to make this unbelievably detailed suggestions with all useful links and sources, I appreciate your intentions to help the asset grow!

This is one of the main reasons I'm doing this, I've been a big RTS fan since I was young and I'm seeing this genre go down nowadays in comparison to other genres in the industry and it certainly feels unfair because RTS games offer way much more: the dilemmas that the player has while in a game make the experience extremely exciting (thinking about managing your resources, balancing unit creation, defending your territory, expecting other factions to attack, planning an attack on another faction, falling into unexpected battles and way much more).

I really appreciate your words and I will try to play my part into bringing this genre back and I hope I will be able to contribute by bringing this RTS Engine to you developers and creative people. If I have one request for you and all other RTS Engine users, just keep suggesting features, this interest from you in the asset keeps pushing me forward.

cidiego likes this.
  16. OussamaB

OussamaB

I'm currently in the process of updating the documentation for the new update so during the next few days, you won't see any actual progress on your side but trust me it's getting fixed.

As for the Unit Animator and Main Animator Controller, I think I didn't name these attributes the best way I could have so that's where the confusion is coming from. The first attribute is simply the Animator component but the second one is an Animator Override Controller which has the main animations of your unit and it's only useful when you change the player resource collection animation depending on the resource type (and you use another a Animator Override Controller for that).

I will make sure to explain this better in the new docs.

17. OussamaB

OussamaB

Are you using 2017.4? If yes, a new update has been submitted like 6 days ago to fix that (it's still not approved tho).

I'm gradually attempting to integrate them into multiplayer, with the next update I started integrating free AI units and buildings into multiplayer and step by step the whole faction will be available in MP as well.

18. Alexandus

Alexandus

Hmm, what do you mean by free AI units? Unaffiliated with any faction, neutral?

19. OussamaB

OussamaB

Exactly.

20. WithinAmnesia

WithinAmnesia

OussamaB likes this.
  21. Seling

Seling

How do you deal in your asset with specific weapons and armors?

Can we set a weapon which is effective at 100% against a unit and only 20% against another?

I have seen in your documentation that we can set a unit to not be allowed to target another unit but this question linked to the paper scissor stone concept is not clear.

jobo22 likes this.
  22. OussamaB

OussamaB

The RTS Engine doesn't support applying different damage points based on the attack target but that's something that's already in my to-do list and it will be available by mid June.

23. JLMeador

JLMeador

I am trying to apply an attack effect to one of my characters, and was wondering why the effect shoots off like this. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

• 05.JPG
      05.JPG
      File size:
      115.3 KB
      Views:
  24. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hey, I can't really spot what's wrong when looking at the screenshot, can you explain more what you're trying to achieve with the attack effect and what exactly went wrong? (Video or a gif would be extremely helpful in this case).

25. JLMeador

JLMeador

I can try to get a video later today if you still don't understand what I mean, but what happens is the attack shoots and hits a target, then a stream of white shoots far off to the side for several seconds.

26. JLMeador

JLMeador

I actually just figured it out, I just had to change the attack duration, whoops! However, I am also having an issue placing buildings down in my game. Whenever I try to place a building for my workers to build, it takes the resources but the building doesn't stay, it just follows my cursor still and the workers try to follow it to build it. I noticed someone else had this problem in an earlier version, but the patch for that has already gone through and I am still having the problem.

OussamaB likes this.
  27. OussamaB

OussamaB

Do you have "Placed By Default" enabled on the building? If yes, disable that and see if the problem persists.

28. jobo22

jobo22

I was having that issue again recently, and I tried a multitude of different things. So when you have buildings inside borders set to true (which it is by default, can be found under the building manager), my buildings would just follow my mouse around, unless I had placed by default checked. Sometimes I could place my building, but I couldn't see it until I actually placed it. I finally got it working by making the building selection object a separate object. I was originally using the main building object collider for the selection, but I looked at the demo buildings and they all had it as a separate child object. So try doing that if you don't have it set up like that. The documentation says you must use a separate game object for the selection, but I think it used to say you could use the main building object for it. Anyways hopefully I didn't just confuse you even more. Bottom line, just make sure your selection object is a separate game object under your main building object.

29. JLMeador

JLMeador

I have tried checking and unchecking Place By Default and have made sure the selection object is a separate game object under the main building object, and I am still having this issue. Is there something else it might be?

30. jobo22

jobo22

Have you tried placing some of the demo buildings in your map? If they don't work either, then you will know it's not your buildings that are the problem. If they do work, then it's your building that has the problem. The other thing you could try is checking/unchecking the "Buildings in borders" checkbox in the Building Manager component. Sorry I don't have any thing else to try.

31. OussamaB

OussamaB

Yeah you're always supposed to have the selection object as a separate child object. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough in the documentation but it has been updated now. Thanks for pointing it out!

As @jobo22 mentioned, are buildings working for you correctly in the demo scene?
    Are you getting any kind of error while placing buildings?
    If buildings are working in the demo scene, try adding your building in the demo map and see if it can be placed there, this helps to determine if the problem lays within your building or something else set up in the scene.

jobo22 likes this.
  32. OussamaB

OussamaB

Happy to share with you the changelog for the next update which will be v1.3.0, this update will be submitted tomorrow!
    • Unit Movement:
      • Added OnMovementAttempt custom event.
      • Added Unit Target Collider: a child collider of each unit object that marks the unit’s target position in order to avoid units colliding with each other.
      • All unit movement is now managed by a new component: Movement Manager.
      • Unit groups now move in circle formations (more formations will be added in future updates).
      • Added a “Radius” field in both the Building and the Resource components: the radius of a defines the interaction positions that units will take when interacting with buildings/resources.
    • Unit/Building Faction Limits:
      • Added building/unit limits: You can now limit the amount of a builing or a unit type that a faction has spawned at the same time.
      • When attempting to create a unit/building that has reached its spawn limit, it will appear covered in red in the task panel.
    • Faction Border component:
      • You can assign the border’s object color transparency from the inspector.
      • You can assign the border’s object height from the inspector.
      • Required amount and maximum amount are now separated in the buildings list in the inspector:
        • Maximum Amount: it’s the maximum amount that the faction can have from the building type inside a border.
        • Required Amount: it’s the amount that a NPC faction must build from the building type inside each building center (a building with the Border component is considerd a building center).
    • Attack Warning Manager:
      • Show flashing attack warning icons in the minimap when player units/buildings are getting attacked.
      • Use custom art as the attack warning icon.
      • Pick how long these icons will stay in the minimap and the minimum distance from already existing warning icons required to draw a new icon.
      • Object pooling for attack warning icons.
    • Minimap Icons:
      • Icons for units, buildings and resources to be displayed on the minimap.
      • Faction units/buildings use the faction color and free units/building use a color for free factions only.
      • Each resource type can use a different color.
      • Object pooling for minimap icons.
    • Hover health bar:
      • Added hover health bars for units and buildings.
      • Enable/disable hover health bars from the UI manager.
      • Option to enable for all factions or for the player’s faction only.
      • The height of the health bar can be chosen individually for each unit/building type.
    • Treasures:
      • Treasures can be collected by units even if the treasure is outside the faction’s territory.
      • Treasures in the demo scene are now guarded by orcs (free units).
    • NPC Army Manager:
      • Added a field in the inspector to define the maximum amount of non attack units (civilians) ratio in relation to the population slots of a NPC faction.
      • Added a field in the inspector to define the maximum amount of non attack units amount that can’t be exceeded even if the above ratio has not been reached.
    • Camera:
      • Added panning.
      • Added UI Camera: A camera with a higher depth than the main camera that displays UI objects (hover health bars, unit target position markers, etc..).
    • Terrain Manager:
      • Added the Terrain Manager component.
      • You can now have multiple terrain tiles with different heights (hills & mountains) or simply use Unity’s terrain for the map.
      • Placing buildings on different heights of the map has been improved.
    • God Mode:
      • God mode allows to launch and finish tasks instantly and place buildings instantly without having to construct them + not lose resources, very useful for quick testing.
    • Multiplayer:
      • Added Input Manager: this component receives player input, collects them and send them to the host/server then collects all receiving commands from the server and executes them on each client’s game.
      • Improved custom input commands and seperated the pre-defined ones.
      • Added an Input Manager component which handles collecting input commands from the local player, receiving commands from the server/host and executing them. This component is separated from the UNET-related components which makes it extremely easy to add your own networking service without digging into the other components.
      • The Input Manager handles spawning factions, units, buildings and destroying them. Everything is now created locally and the Input Manager keeps track of each synced object and manages it.
      • Resources do not get destroyed and re-spawned at the start of a multiplayer game as the Input Manager now handles identifying and syncing them for all clients without having to re-create them.
      • Main components such as the Unit & Building components are no longer derived from the NetworkBehavior but rather the MonoBehavior, all RPC and Command calls in all components than the UNET-related components have been removed in order to separate completely the networking components and other components making it even easier to implement your own networking service for multiplayer.
      • Free units and free buildings can now be used in multiplayer games (as the server/host takes responsibility in administrating them and syncing them for all other clients).
      • The UNET multiplayer components (from the components that handle the multiplayer menu and the components that manage the game) have been refactored (some completely re-written) in order to improve performance.
      • Improved the UNET lockstep model that is being used for multiplayer.
      • A Sync Test feature has been added to the lockstep model: this allows the server/host to check if clients are now on the same lockstep turn to avoid any sync issues. As soon as a client syncs out, the game freezes and that client is given a specific time (can be chosen from the inspector) to catch up before getting kicked for timing out.
      • Clients will receive different messages when they disconnect, get kicked or time out from a multiplayer game.
      • Added a Game Version attribute for the UNET Network Manager component: In order to play together, two players must have the same game version in order to avoid two players getting into sync issues when playing with different versions of the game.
    • Resources will no longer be re-spawned at the beginning of a game in order to register them, a button in the Resource Manager component’s inspector has been added to register them.
    • Added a new field in the Unit component to make units non-convertable by other factions.
    • Escape on Attack:
      • Added Escape on Attack behavior for units:
      • When enabled, units will escape when getting attacked.
      • You can define both the escape range and speed from the inspector.
      • You can set an Animator Override Controller to have a different movement animation when escaping.
    • Wandering:
      • Added wandering behavior for units.
      • Toggle wandering behavior for units (using tasks in the task panel).
      • You can define the wandering settings from the Unit inspector: range, reload time, wandering center (and whether it’s fixed or not).
    • Attack component:
      • All attack behavior code has been refactorated for better performance.
      • Both units and buildings now use the same Attack component.
      • Added option to not deal damage directly from the attack component but rather trigger the custom delegate event only with reference to the victim that should receive the damage.
      • Added Basic Attack toggle filed in the Attack Component: When having more than one Attack component this represents the basic attack that the unit will use by default.
      • Updated the Multiple Attacks component and refactorated it for better performance.
      • Added attack cooldown: make the unit wait a certain amount of time before launching the attack one more time.
      • Added a field to enable/disable the player from switching a unit’s attack type.
      • Removed Attack Categories from the Attack component and replaced them with Attack Exceptions: You now have to fill the exceptions list with unit codes that the unit can’t attack if attacking all types is disabled.
      • Added new custom delgeate event that is triggered as soon as the attack target is inside the attacker’s range.
    • UI Manager:
      • Tooltip Manager: Easily added tooltips for any UI element so that when you hover on them a tooltip menu appear with the text that you want.
      • Added new game menus: Winning, Losing, Freeze and Pause menus.
    • Worker Manager:
      • Buildings/resources are now required to have the Worker Manager component so that units are able to construct/collect them.
      • Worker Manager allows to define static positions for construction/collection that the units will occupy when interacting with buildings/resources.
      • Assigning static interaction positions is not required. When not assigned, units will simply pick the closest position to the building/resource.
      • Buildings can now have a pre-defined resource drop off position. When not assigned, units will simply pick the closest position to the building for resource drop off.
    • APC:
      • Added Interaction Pos field in the APC inspector: a position that units need to reach in order to get in the APC.
      • APC component code has been refactorated and APC inspector has been improved.
    • New demo scene with new level design, UI, units and buildings.

jobo22 likes this.
  33. jobo22

jobo22

Awesome! I can't wait to use it! You are doing a fantastic job, keep up the good work! :)

34. Seling

Seling

Great news and change log ;)

Three more questions :
    - if we work with the new version 1.3 and if you change the way of management for factions and units in the next update, should we wait the next update or everything will be saved and applied to the new structure of your code?
    - How do you manage the multiple attack system on a unit which have several gun points? For example rapid machine gun, rockets and a big gun? you define in the unit manager each outlet of guns linked to each weapon?
    - Can your attack system handle an effect like a beam between the attacker and the target?

35. WithinAmnesia

WithinAmnesia

Is the new demo version out? If it gets released soon could you add a link to the new demo on your asset page to help people see what the engine is capable of. It would help people looking for a solid Real Time Strategy engine to see a really strong game engine with many impressive features as to what this engine is shaping up to become; I really want to test the new iteration when you feel it is ready to release:).

36. OussamaB

OussamaB

Don't worry about that, you keep working with the current version and when the new one comes out I will let you know how to correctly update everything so that you don't lose any progress you made.

Do you want to shoot from these attack sources in one attack? Or do you want to switch each time?

Could explain more please?

37. OussamaB

OussamaB

Yup, the demo is out, the update has been submitted and now awaiting the asset store team to accept it. Here are the new demo links:

WebGL Demo
    Standalone Download (Recommended)

I've also set up a new discord server, everyone is welcome to join here

And from now on the changelog and release notes for updates will be found here.

Warspawn likes this.
  38. OussamaB

OussamaB

Here's a small trailer I made for the new update:

and here are a couple of screenshots:

Warspawn, purnamasari and jobo22 like this.
  39. JLMeador

JLMeador

The demo buildings do not work in the scene either.

40. Seling

Seling

Depending ol target :
    - against aircraft : rocket or missile launcher
    - against tank and vehicles : rockets / missiles and machine gun at the same time
    For example.
    I don't really understand in your system if you define an outlet for each gun and a prefab for the warhead for each or if we need to define a special script not supported by the asset to fire all weapons depending of target.

A common example is the Terminator in Act of Agression.

Yes of course.
    For example the sonic tank of Dune 2000 or the radiation weapon of Forged Battalion.

I don't know if your weapon function supports a constant ray between the gun and the target or if we need to script this special weapon.

41. Alexandus

Alexandus

Update looks great! Awesome work

42. OussamaB

OussamaB

Picking an attack source (weapon) depending on the target is not supported in the RTS Engine but it can be done with some code modification (Let me know if you want to guide you through it).

Can be also done by digging into the code a little bit.

43. OussamaB

OussamaB

So there's definitely something wrong with the way you set up your scene?
    I would advise you to update to the newest version and use the RTS Engine menu editor which will set up the scene automatically for you.

44. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

---

So yeah, the update is out and I'd appreciate your opinions on the new features and changes.
    Feel free to rate/review the asset on the store, that will be much appreciated.

45. jobo22

jobo22

I would also like this for my game. Could we achieve this using the custom delegates instead of changing the actual code?

P.S. I just updated to the new version and I get this error:

Assets/RTS Engine/Multiplayer/Scripts/NetworkPrefabManager.cs(9,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `NetworkMapManager' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

How do I fix this? Thanks! :)

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  46. OussamaB

OussamaB

That component has been deprecated and has been replaced by the NetworkManager_UNET. That's why you are getting this error. I would advise to reload everything multiplayer related because a lot has changed.

Yes, there's a delegate event called when the attacker picks a target (OnAttackTargetLocked), you have access to both the attacker and the attacker target in that event, you just run a couple of conditions and set the attack source for the attacker depending on the target.

jobo22 likes this.
  47. jobo22

jobo22

Reloading the multiplayer folder fixed the error, thanks! And that's great that you have a delegate for what I want. :)

OussamaB likes this.
  48. trement

trement

May seem basic... but I still haven't figured out how to increase playable map size. Could you add the procedure to the terrain docs please? Thanks

49. mustafad

mustafad

Good Job for the new release mate everything is working perfectly except there are 2 bugs
    1- when you are in a multiplayer game and activate attack in range a weird sync issue happens to the soldiers and then the game crashes

2- in multiplayer game villagers can build buildings without checking if they are near the building they just start building from any distance they want

50. jobo22

jobo22

I made a new map but I'm having problems. When I build a unit, they move to their Go To position, but then when I select them I can't move them. And I can't select units with box select, I have to click on them directly. When I try to create a building, it doesn't follow my mouse. Also, the AI player will select a building to build, but they won't ever place it. I tried some of my units in the demo scene and they worked fine, so its the new map that has the issue. I compared it with the demo scene and found the new map didn't have a movement manager, and the "Flat Terrain" plane didn't have a box collider. I added those but that still didn't fix the problem. I deleted the whole RTS Engine from my project and re-imported it so as to not have problems with the old version, but that didn't fix the issue either. I don't get any errors, the units just don't move and the buildings don't follow my my mouse. The other thing that doesn't work is when I click on the minimap camera, it doesn't move the main camera to that position. Any help would be much appreciated! :) Does anyone else have this same problem?

Last edited: May 17, 2018