Search Unity

Unity Rich Chat Application

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Enfusion, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Enfusion

Enfusion

Hello guys,

im used to work with unity in order to create easy games for mobile devices. The simplicity is pretty awesome and thats the main reason why I would like to build my next project with unity also even if its not game.

I would like to develop a crossplattform online chat for mobile devices. There are tons of messangers out there but no real channel based chat plattforms which are kind of good.

The idea is not to just hand out ids so that users are able to add each other and private chat ( like whatsapp, viber and co ) but instead create free channels with topics where you can talk with new people related to the given channel topic.

I saw alot of simple chats based on polling but thats not really what im looking for. I want to develop something like a full socket based chat with registrated channels and live users who can interact with each other.

I did some simple games with unet before but i dont want matchmaking, a foreign master server or fees ( i wont make profit like with a game thereforce thousand paid slots are not a option ).

I also developed some standalone multi threading client/servers in #c before but I wonder if there are some stable networking soulutions out there which fits my needs and which are optimized for working with unity.

It would be great if you can give me some tips.

Thanks! :)

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity can certainly do this, but I wouldn't use Unet of course. Stick with something low level or the Socket class. The higher level networking API's are generally about syncing objects and the game scene, but that's not something you're going to need or even want. You could also consider using a database as a service instead, or rolling your own database solution.

3. g_a_p

g_a_p

You may want to take a look at our SmartFoxServer 2X, which has a number of useful chat-related features, like room management, buddy lists, moderators, kick&ban, word filters (both blacklist & whitelist), flood filters, user profiles, invitations and more.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. ddalacu

ddalacu

Hello, i would suggest using aws functions and aws web sockets for this because you will get a scalable product and you will pay only for what you use.