Search Unity

Unity Resources and Live Demos Updates!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Jul 16, 2009.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I wanted to take a quick moment and point folks to a pair of recent additions to our website, notably one new Resource posting and one new Live Demo you can view.

Example Project: Head Look Controller
    Make characters dynamically turn their heads to look at any point in space.

Live Demo: Butterfly Demo
    Explore a lazy summer day in this outdoor environment. Features soft shadows and depth of field. Use space to flap wings, arrows for direction and mouse to steer.

The above come courtesy of Rune as well as our Demo Team. As always there's lots more on the way so stay tuned. In the meantime, check out both of the above and have fun!

2. Discord

Discord

The butterfly live demo is beautiful! Although it was a little hard to control.

3. Alec

Alec

I am impressed, however my butterfly unfortunately got impaled on one of the tree branches and I wasn't able to move :p

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I mentioned internally that I was waiting for a bird to swoop down out of nowhere and just eat up the butterfly... :)

5. n0mad

n0mad

LOL, would be funny !

Although, this butterfly demo is indeed incredibly beautiful.

6. jakkovanhunen

jakkovanhunen

"Use space to flap wings, arrows for direction and mouse to steer."

Missing an additional hand to control the butterfly. Tried using my nose to press the spacebar, but I keep missing the stunning visuals this way :D

gr.jakko

7. polytropoi

polytropoi

mmm delicious! very useful, too... nice flight controls, camera mgmt, and practical DOF setup. And Rune's stuff just keeps getting more awesome. Thanks y'all!

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Nice Butterfly and scene but the blur is way too strong. Really hurts my eyes after 2 minutes. A more subtle blur would work better (just my artistic point of view) ;)

Thomas

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hmm, yeah, we've gotten a lot of feedback on this. I thought we toned down the blur quite a bit, but maybe a little more :p

I'm still not happy with the controls either so we'll be tweaking them. Glad you guys like it though for the most part ;)

10. Alec

Alec

the blur was awfully distracting since the environment was beautiful, (i actually felt like a senile old man aimlessly stumbling through a garden (if that wasn't what you were going for then yes change it!))

11. jkoh005

jkoh005

The butterfly's colours contrast very nicely with the greenery. It's very beautiful. Good job!

Any chance this will be released as a demo project later on?

12. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah, we'll put out the project folder in the not too distant future ;)

13. beezir

beezir

Beautiful demo. Though I'm not a fan of the default moving with the mouse no matter what. Makes me feel crazy when I go to hit buttons on the browser and the world spins around. :D

14. RHD

RHD

The Butterfly is beautiful!

The blur is a bit strong but I didn't find him hard to steer once I got the hang of it.

I can spacebar and arrow key with one hand.

I thought it was great you could fly him through the hollow log!

15. Hermit

Hermit

Crashed my firefox browser (win xp) when exiting the butterfly demo.

:(

Then did it again.

And a third time.

I don't think I'll play with that little flutterby any more.

Otherwise, all is good... so far.

16. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It crashed when exiting fullscreen or when closing the tab/window? What type of GFX card do you have?

17. Hermit

Hermit

Crashed closing the tab, not full screen.

Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT and I'm using two monitors.

No problems at all with Unity, no matter what I've opened until I updated this morning to 2.51.

18. terransage

terransage

I tried to shoot laser beams out of my antennae and drop incendiary bombs on a few lady bugs, but nothing worked. In the end, my butterfly got eaten by a tarantula hawk wasp. Otherwise, it was beautiful and relaxing.

19. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

is it possible to download the source code?, or at least, the shader :wink:

20. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

For now, no, we don't have the source project posted. I just asked the demo team guys if we were planning to post it and so far the plan hasn't included that, but they're also not set against it in any way. They're going to give the project a look and possibly post it in a future Resources area update.

As to the shader (as it's not the same depth of field shader found in the Shader Replacement demo), here ya go! (attached to my post)

Attached Files:

21. larsjessen

larsjessen

I get compile errors when trying to use the DOF.cs:

`DepthTextureMode' does not exist in the current context
    `UnityEngine.Graphics' does not contain a definition for `BlitMultiTap'
    `UnityEngine.Graphics' does not contain a definition for `Blit'

have I missed something?

22. Jeff Aydelotte

Jeff Aydelotte

Ok guys, this was my bad. I gave Tom a new version of the DOF which we were testing for our new demo. It uses some graphics features which are in Unity 2.6. I've included a DOF shader which will work with 2.5, and then when 2.6 comes out I recommend you switch to the shader Tom gave out before.

Attached Files:

23. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

For some strange reason, the butterfly demo didn't work a few months ago, when I first tried it. Fired it up just now and I must say ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

I think people are wrong about the depth of field, it's spot on. If you've ever seen any high-speed photography focusing on insects "in the wild", it looks just like that. Also, subtlety is wasted on people, really. If you're going to do something, do it so people notice. Let others dial thing down to their personal preference, you're trying to show off a feature.

Controls are HORRIBLE. I'm confused why the choices were made for the current input. If you really want to stick with the mouse/keyboard action, why not have mouse click flap the wings?

Anyway, absolutely awesome demo. If you want to shut down people asking about, "k@n I makez teh Crysis or Unreal3 with Unity?! Iz it l33t nuf to makez teh g@m3z 4 me?", just show them the butterfly demo (coupled with Avert Fate).

24. larsjessen

larsjessen

@Jeff - sorry to be a pain but I am still having problems with the new version. I get an error in the DepthOfFieldEffect.js

"The name 'RenderWithShaderHelper' does not denote a valid type."

/lars

25. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

26. Scratchliquid

Scratchliquid

Very impressive. I really like the look of this. However the controls seemed to be a bit weird. Didn't give me the feeling of flying smoothly.

27. Windfeld

Windfeld

I just tried out the 2.6 version and it looks and works brilliantly!

Keep up the great work,
    /Windfeld

(@larzie: You get the "RenderWithShaderHelper" error if you are using the wrong dof version in 2.6 - I had the same problem until I reread Jeff's post)

28. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

Hello Higgy,

I have imported your DOF to my project (unity 2.6) . Works fine but the up-Side of the DOF Texture is down. What is wrong ? How can I fix this ?

I use no Image Effects and have reimported Pro Assets.

29. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Ask Jeff (Aydelotte), he's the man behind that shader, I just played the middle-man in posting it here. :)

30. Jeff Aydelotte

Jeff Aydelotte

Hey guys. I've gotten a few bug reports for the DOF shader and I'm going to take a look into fixing them. If you have a problem with the shader then submit a bug report inside of unity saying what your problems are, and inside of the report say "assign to Jeff Aydelotte". That way QA can send these reports to me and I get some extra information about your machine from the bug reporter.

Rest assured everybody, I'm working on fixing any bugs in this shader.

31. Jeff Aydelotte

Jeff Aydelotte

OK I made a mistake when I uploaded this the first time, and I forgot to include our helper files (that's why you guys kept seeing RenderWithShaderHelper missing). I'm including here the helper directory that we had in the project. I've also made a prefab out of the camera that we used in the butterfly demo and exported the package so that you can open up what we had and see how our camera was setup. I've left the SnapCamera and DOFAdjust scripts on there, even though they're not necessary for the DOF effect.

I'll continue looking into the other problems that people are reporting.

@Gaspedal - That's something that can happen when reading the render output with FSAA on D3D. There was actually an internal email addressing something like this where Aras suggested looking at http://unity3d.com/support/resources/example-projects/shader-replacement for an example of a workaround.

Attached Files:

32. immerhart

immerhart

hey,
    is there any chance to get the whole project file of the butterfly demo? its such a great demo and i love it...! :)
    i am just new in such nice fxs and not sure how this dof and soft shadows all works and the project would be very helpfull to me.
    would be so great
    (no problem if pro version is needed, its available on my school)
    thy
    greetings

33. immerhart

immerhart

i think thats a no. what a pitty...

34. sonicviz

sonicviz

+10
    Never seen this demo before. Should be a project download!