Search Unity

Unity Render Pipeline Debug clashes with New Input System

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by castleofwarriors, Aug 27, 2019.

1. castleofwarriors

castleofwarriors

I recently upgraded to the Unity 2019.3 beta, and I found that I was immediately getting an error when I started my game;

InvalidOperationException: You are trying to read Input using the UnityEngine.Input class, but you have switched active Input handling to Input System package in Player Settings.
    UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.SampleAction (System.Int32 actionIndex) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@7.0.1/Runtime/Debugging/DebugManager.Actions.cs:111)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugManager.UpdateActions () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@7.0.1/Runtime/Debugging/DebugManager.Actions.cs:168)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.DebugUpdater.Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@7.0.1/Runtime/Debugging/DebugUpdater.cs:18)

I checked, and sure enough, right there in the DebugManager class, I found this:

foreach (var button in buttons)
    {
    allButtonPressed = Input.GetButton(button);
    if (!allButtonPressed)
    break;
    }

Given that this is an engine file, not one I made myself, I don't feel comfortable altering it. How would I fix this issue?

2. The-Oddler

The-Oddler

I noticed the same. Sadly I don't have a proper fix.

Commenting out the part in the debugmanager does seem to get rid of the error, but only locally and will be overwritten when updating/resetting the package, but has no other bad effects that I noticed.

This seems like an oversight (aka bug) in the Render Pipeline code, as the code shouldn't assume the usage of the old input system.

sunnivaaa likes this.
  3. T-Zee

T-Zee

I just encountered this while trying to convert over to the new input system package.

the only advice i have found for this is to enable both input systems in player settings till it gets fixed

4. KingRecycle

KingRecycle

Yeah, I got this issue in latest beta (2019.3b6). I thought maybe it was because I started with core RP and changed over to using URP, not sure if that is what anyone above did as well.

5. misterHallodri

misterHallodri

Any news on this?

6. Torgie

Torgie

Bumping for visibility.

gpsiGame likes this.
  7. nbelkin

nbelkin

the problem still exists =)

8. jesta

jesta

Also bumping. This is annoying and would be an easy fix.

JeffreyBennett likes this.
  9. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Robo_Gardener, iJuan and kavanavak like this.
  10. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

As stated in the issue tracker page, a workaround of this problem is to set the Active Input Handling to Both in the Player Settings of your project.

11. Jichaels

Jichaels

After more than 6 months for a really easy fix (like #if UNITY_INPUT_SYSTEM so it doesn"t spawn the DebugUpdater...) we're still supposed to hack/workaround it ?

Please consider doing something, it's really annoying and should at least be an option to use these "debug" features

12. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

We have a fix scheduled for upcoming 7.2.0 package.

13. Jichaels

Jichaels

Cool ! Looking forward to it :)

14. Jedyte28351

Jedyte28351

I have a similar stacktrace, but it does not seem to come from URP:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: You are trying to read Input using the UnityEngine.Input class, but you have switched active Input handling to Input System package in Player Settings.
    2. UnityEngine.Input.get_mousePosition () (at <2efdc780086b47f28399fd0ce7a4bfa4>:0)
    3. UnityEngine.UI.MultipleDisplayUtilities.GetMousePositionRelativeToMainDisplayResolution () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0f3/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI/Core/MultipleDisplayUtilities.cs:40)
    4. UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseInput.get_mousePosition () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0f3/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/InputModules/BaseInput.cs:75)
    5. UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.UpdateModule () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0f3/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/InputModules/StandaloneInputModule.cs:183)
    6. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.TickModules () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0f3/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:331)
    7. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.Update () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.3.0f3/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:344)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  15. stephanedupont

stephanedupont

Still happen on 7.2.1.

I see that the code is inside a
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if ENABLE_LEGACY_INPUT_MANAGER
    region, but it still crashes. The code in the region seems to be executed even when the active Input Handling is set to the new Input System Package.

Known problem? Am I missing something?

cxode likes this.
  16. cxode

cxode

I'm getting the same problem as you, @stephanedupont. ENABLE_LEGACY_INPUT_MANAGER is not in my project's Scripting Define Symbols.

PaintyWays likes this.
  17. cxode

cxode

@stephanedupont I figured it out! Unity's internal scripting define symbols do not get updated until the entire project is reimported. This is because the system was designed for platform dependent compilation, and when the editor switches platforms a reimport all is performed.

You can fix the issue with right click -> reimport all in the Project window or by deleting your project's Library folder.

18. stephanedupont

stephanedupont

Thank you!

cxode likes this.
  19. gegagome

gegagome

Deleting the Library folder didn't work for me

20. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

I can confirm that "Reimport All" cleared fixed things for me; after running "Reimport All" I can play my scene and not get the input related errors.

Thank you @JimmyCushnie!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    cxode likes this.
  21. Vojta_

Vojta_

Same problem, still not fixed...

SkrobieDev likes this.
  22. unity_-bMtscXP-akGzw

unity_-bMtscXP-akGzw

Same problem,
    reimporting didn't fix problem.

SkrobieDev likes this.
  23. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

The error is from having StandaloneInputModule in the scene, which is the UI input module for the old input system. If you select the EventSystem GameObject, you should see a "Replace with InputSystemUIInputModule" button in the inspector for the StandaloneInputModule component. Clicking that button and saving the scene should fix the error.

Hopefully we'll find a better way to make this visible/fixable.

24. MathieuTournadre

MathieuTournadre

Hi all,

I got the same issue on my project. I fixed it by reimporting the "Core RP Library" package from th eproject window (Right clic on "Packages>Core RP Library" then "Reimport") :)

warapuri likes this.
  25. amattdev

amattdev

This issue has me at my wits end.

Reimports do not work, updating Core RP to 7.2.1 does not work (Version 7.2.1 literally does not work, throwing errors immediately on import). I don't feel comfortable enabling both Input systems, that defeats the purpose of upgrading to the new one.

The only fix I could manage was physically commenting out every instance of Input._____ in DebugManger.Actions, which just feels messy and half-baked.

Edit: Resolved the problem by gutting the DebugUpdater as well. I'm not a fan of having objects that I didn't put into my hierarchy injected into my scene without warning, especially when those objects become the reason why my game no longer functions.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    tomachinz likes this.
  26. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

Are you sure about that? I don't have the StandaloneInputModule OR the InputSystemUIInputModule in the scene. But when I selected JUST the new Input System in the Player Settings, I got the spammed errors. Reimporting all DID fix the issue though.

27. venay0

venay0

Project Settings > Player > Active Input Handling change it to both

This fixed the issue for me.

28. angelsafor

angelsafor

Thanks. This works!!

29. tclancey

tclancey

Nope!

30. LordOlives

LordOlives

This fixed it for me. Thanks.

31. Shruzberry

Shruzberry

Simply update it using the inspector
    upload_2020-5-30_11-22-5.png

32. Alean909

Alean909

it work

33. FranekKimono

FranekKimono

For those that are still struggling with this, remember to implement this change in ALL the scenes in your project. Even ones you don't include in your build.

34. Vi-V-eK

Vi-V-eK

This Fixed my issues. Thanks a lot.

jmcusack likes this.
  35. altepTest

altepTest

I have no EventSystem GameObject in my scene but I have Cinemachine. It doesn't work, chaining to Both in player settings just throw errors saying that the input is not setup. Cinemachine tries to read the old input and doesn't find the values there. what do i do?

36. learntodevelopecom

learntodevelopecom

Reset the Player Setting

37. Jhakas_Keshav

Jhakas_Keshav

hey guys!!! please help me i am a newbie

InvalidOperationException: You are trying to read Input using the UnityEngine.Input class, but you have switched active Input handling to Input System package in Player Settings.

this thing is coming as error please please please solve this

38. MisterRogers

MisterRogers

I think this means the method of reading Inputs doesn't match the Input system you chose in the Player Settings. You can probably change this by choosing BOTH.
    If you want to use the new input system you should watch or do a tutorial on it.

Jhakas_Keshav likes this.
  39. andrmhndr11

andrmhndr11

yea me tooo

40. lcompton

lcompton

I just started seeing this when I upgraded to 2020.1.9f1. I did not see the error in previous versions of 2020...

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: You are trying to read Input using the UnityEngine.Input class, but you have switched active Input handling to Input System package in Player Settings.
    2. UnityEngine.Input.get_mousePosition () (at <5d1d5a0a7c19404a97ceefd28864629e>:0)
    3. UnityEngine.UI.MultipleDisplayUtilities.GetMousePositionRelativeToMainDisplayResolution () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.9f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI/Core/MultipleDisplayUtilities.cs:40)
    4. UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseInput.get_mousePosition () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.9f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/InputModules/BaseInput.cs:75)
    5. UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule.UpdateModule () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.9f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/InputModules/StandaloneInputModule.cs:175)
    6. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.TickModules () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.9f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:328)
    7. UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem.Update () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.9f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:343)

41. lcompton

lcompton

Quick update: Changing "Active Input Handling" to "Both" in "Player Settings" eliminated the error, as others have mentioned. However, I think it's odd that it just started happening for me. Seems like a bug.

SkrobieDev likes this.
  42. deex

deex

Worked for me too: Project Settings -> Player -> Active Input Handling : Both

43. zammle2009wtf

zammle2009wtf

It worked! Simple answer, straight and forward, 10/10!

44. shindy001

shindy001

For those that use Cinemachine (all of us), some cameras has default standard input values (did not try all of them). You need to remove them when using only the new input system or these errors occur. See screenshot bellow.

upload_2020-12-5_14-41-29.png

malohr, ideletemyself and Jeison_ like this.
  45. ChazBass

ChazBass

Unbelievable. Not just that it is still not fixed in the base build (meaning without having to swap out the script in the Event System and fix it everywhere else, or set input to both), but more importantly: How does something like this get out the door in the first place? Software companies of any size have regression test harness as part of their build processes. If Unity had such, the developer(s) creating the new input system would have seen it fail *immediately* when they checked in their code and merged their branch. There would be no possible way to ship this bug. Obviously that didn't happen. Makes me wonder what kind of QA Unity actually has in place.

unity_AKFX_BYPqggzNg likes this.
  46. marufdhaka

marufdhaka

When you migrate to new input system, you have to add InputSystemUIInputModule on your canvas element, pointer behavior: Single unified Pointer (optional)

Attached Files:

Kelos likes this.
  47. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Pretty disappointed this is still a thing, simply making a Canvas spams this error due to it not automatically having the InputSystemUIInputModule

48. PhilSA

PhilSA

Getting this even when having Active Input Handling set to "both" and replacing the StandaloneInputModule with InputSystemUIInputModule

2021.1b5, InputSystem 1.0.2, render-pipelines.core 11.0.0

RedHillbilly likes this.
  49. contact_unity857

contact_unity857

Will this be fixed someday ? This basic issue was repported more than a year ago... Always having to enable "both" then relaunch unity and wait all the time is getting very annoying.

50. sushil9394l

sushil9394l

Fixed The Problem By Upgrading URP to 7.4.3 .
    :)