Search Unity

Unity - render 10,000 objects at once using DrawMesh

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by theDawckta, Feb 7, 2015.

1. theDawckta

theDawckta

I have a performance problem I am working on and need some help. It's a very simple question really. With the attached script is Graphics.DrawMesh the fastest way for me to render the objects. If there is a faster way to do this I would love for someone to help out. I just need to get the meshes on the screen as quickly and efficiently as possible. Would there be a way to do this with a shader maybe? That is the only thing I could really think of that might help as it seems like it would offload the work to the gpu instead of being cpu bound. I just know nothing of shaders so can't really figure out if this is possible or not.

If anyone see's a way to improve my update function significantly I would love to hear about this as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Geometry, ie mesh data, is generally separate from what a shader does, although in modern shaders you can mess with geometry and modify it etc... but you still have to feed something in to get something out (i think). . probably combining some meshes will help cut down on overhead, e.g. objects that don't move and have the same materials.

3. theDawckta

theDawckta

Thanks for the reply,

That is just the thing though, they all have to move independently, I am starting to think this is the best way to do it. I wonder if there would be a way to combine all those meshes before hand and just use one draw mesh call considering that is the heaviest function in the algorithm.