Search Unity

Unity remote virus rumor

Discussion in 'Android' started by artanist, Aug 20, 2019.

1. artanist

artanist

Hello, I was just wondering, I was going to install Unity Remote, but a lot of the reviews on google play seem to think that the app install virus that keep popping add. Any news on that ? It's kind of worry sum, but seeing that some of those comment come from people who are not developer, it seem like Unity is getting trolled or something.

2. kaarloew

kaarloew

3. artanist

artanist

Yup that one, sorry for answering that late (did'nt really need unity remote after all).

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@artanist

I think I can explain what's happened.

First of all, I'm pretty sure the Unity Remote app does not have any viruses. I'm 100% sure it does not have any ads in it. (If it did have ads, you would be able to see that in the Google Play listing.)

The Unity Ads SDK has a test mode that you can use during development. In order to function correctly, the test ads needed a link to the app store. The Ads engineering team chose the Unity Remote app since Unity owns the app and it's in both the iOS App Store and Google Play Store.

In addition, some apps are using Unity Ads inappropriately, by showing ads while the app is not in focus. If this is happening to you, please see our instructions to find which app is showing the ads. You should uninstall the app and report it to Google Play:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/random-unity-ads-from-background-apps.610777/

We have made changes that should have stopped those games from monetizing, but perhaps it still allows Test Mode to function. Or these reviews were from before we fixed this bug.

So you should be fine to use the Unity Remote app.

5. artanist

artanist

Ok thank you. Just to be clear though, unity ads randomly appearing when the app is off is due to the developer fault ( on purpose or not) or malicious ads who abused your system ?