Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Remote 5 preview

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by inkredibl, Apr 20, 2016.

1. inkredibl

inkredibl

Unity Technologies

Hello everybody,

Here's a preview version of the new Unity Remote 5. It is backwards compatible, so you can use it with older versions of Unity (some features do require Unity 5.4).

What's new
    • Supports joysticks connected to the remote device (requires Unity 5.4)
    • Supports new touch properties (requires Unity 5.4)
    • Supports tvOS devices (requires Unity 5.4)
    • Supports compass and location data
    Known issues
    • Joystick names on Windows aren't accessible at the moment, but the axes and buttons are working fine
    • Compass and location need to be enabled after the device is connected to editor
    Files

SAOTA, mimminito and rakkarage like this.
  2. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Do I need to connect the device before the first play mode for it to work? That one of the most annoying about the app

3. xCyborg

xCyborg

That's terrific, I'll try it right now, hope it works over Wifi.

rakkarage likes this.
  4. Player7

Player7

Oh damn why did I not know about this before :)

" hope it works over Wifi." ..I don't think it does?

5. inkredibl

inkredibl

Unity Technologies

@OPtimus_Maximus What do you mean before first play mode? Even when it's already playing you can switch the remote device and it will connect to it.
    @xCyborg It works over USB unless you do weird stuff. ;)
    @Player7 And now you know (totally get your sentiment there, happened for me too).

6. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

I mean if I hit play and then stop it will not connect until you restart Unity. At least that what happen with a few of my Android phone.

On Android Unity Remote just use normal adb connection, so just google "wifi adb"

7. inkredibl

inkredibl

Unity Technologies

@OPtimus_Maximus OK, so in my Unity 5.3.4p3 I select Any Android Device, I hit play, it connects, I stop it, I hit play again and it connects again. No such problems whatsoever. Could you file a bug report mentioning specific devices you use and what exactly happens? Sounds frustrating, we need to fix that! But I can't fix what I cannot see, so help me out a bit. Thanks!

Also yes, it does use adb so whatever you can do to make a device appear in adb should work.

8. Player7

Player7

Well I did test it.. and it didn't do anything.

Running Unity Remote 5 on device, in unity editor is set to 'use any android device' ... 'adb device' lists the usb connected device... so I dunno what's wrong with it.

9. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

What I do is not connect anything, select Any Android Device, I hit play, I stop, connect, hit play again.

10. mgear

mgear

Cannot install if remote 4 is installed - complained something about same id?

Should gyro/accel.meter be working? (trying to test cardboard app..but doesnt seem to move/turn)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  11. xCyborg

xCyborg

@mgear @OPtimus_Maximus @Player7 I fully concur, it looks like Unity is the culprit, I'm using beta 16 with both Unity Remote 4 and 5 and the right editor settings and adb connection but both are not working.
    @inkredibl after you fix the issue above, I'd like to request a few features:
    1- Exist dialog after pressing the back key.
    2- Support for debug over wifi, this is a nobrainer, adb takes care of everything already.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  12. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

As i recall wifi adb require root

13. xCyborg

xCyborg

I have a rooted device, as do most developers as I recall.

14. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

15. xCyborg

xCyborg

16. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

remote 4, unity 5.3, on my rooted galaxy note 2, yes

17. xCyborg

xCyborg

I tried it, it's great, I wish I could directly write "adb connect 192.168.1.x:5555" without the need to an app, maybe in the future.

18. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

you can do it manually: connect the phone via usb then type those to cmd with admin right
    Code (CSharp):
    1. adb kill-server
    2. adb tcpip 5555
    3. adb connect 192.168.1.x:5555
    might take a few time for it to work.

19. Player7

Player7

Finally got this S*** to work.. turns out you must have the android sdk setup in the preferences.. AND.. install the extra sdk packages starting with Android 4.0.3 .. (probably just that one actually but I installed the other higher versions aswel)

also the adb tcpip thing worked fine for wireless (yay no cable needed).... the real problem is the complete lack of effing information ie step by step on things to do to get this working properly. it's not just a case of making sure your phone(s) has drivers and adb is working, or doing some sort of voodoo setup of making sure unity is started up once, scene is played, scene is stopped, and phone cable is plugged in, but not before starting the remote unity app and the stars must align etc.

Testing this on my windows unity build setup didn't have the sdk preferences setup, and my unity android build hadn't been touched in a while.

So there hoped that fking helped someone.

20. xCyborg

xCyborg

I know but I need to plug the cable, that's the thing.
    What you mean? Do we need to install SDK platform 15 + target Android 4.0.3?
    Last time I checked SDK Manager API 15 is barely available on Windows.

21. Player7

Player7

"Do we need to install SDK platform 15 + target Android 4.0.3?"
    yes seems like it.

"Last time I checked SDK Manager API 15 is barely available on Windows"
    API 13 and below are not available for Windows.. the ones above it are though.

'adb kill-server'/adb start-server' or just 'adb usb' ... it should start the server again for usb...I was having a problem today with one device showing up as offline in the 'adb devices' even though it was connected, and usb debugging was on etc... so that set me off to find out wtf was going on. Which lead to updating android studio, which lead to just installing most of its extra S*** again,I've since removed the inbetween versions and its still working..

http://i.imgur.com/Sn4mLtK.jpg

I have no idea why this tool needs the SDK (for the android build compiles it makes sense) but would have thought working usb drivers with working adp, and the unity remote app on the device would be enough for just this setup.. but it seems unity needs the sdk for 'things' to work.
    Even the docs and various threads and search results make no mention of it http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityRemote4.html ..it was only one old blog post that made mention of the sdk needing to be added in the prefs, but no mention of platform stuff, I guess it was assumed by them from then that would be installed.. but S*** changes and android studio no longer uses that old a version to install by default.

.. just would have been nice to have not wasted so much time, I mean this thread is like 3weeks ago, only spent some more time on it today trying to find out why it wasn't working some more.

Now the Unity Remote image on the device is just a joke ....
    "Connect this device with a USB Cable to your computer." ?!?!?!?! "Press PLAY in the Unity Editor to test"...

Because ?!?!?!? is missing some pretty crucial info, and remote tool doesn't exactly provide any debugging info itself.. gj unity

on the plus side it is useful getting it working :)

22. EParent

EParent

Hi everyone,
    Sorry for my english.

First, I had Unity remote 4 on two devices and it work well
    • Galaxy Tab S with Android 5.0.2
    • Galaxy Tab 2 with Android 4.2.2
    Now, I have installed Unitye Remote 5 and nothing seems to work.
    I have a PC with Windows 10.
    I use Unity 5.4.0b21

And I see in my logchat : "Failure retrieving resources from com.unity3d.remote : Resource ID #0x0"

EDIT

OMG...finally find what's wrong...

I added 2 environment variable

TEMP C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp
    TMP C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp

Restart computer....and now works like a charm

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  23. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@inkredibl
    Sounds awesome! Is there some ETA already?
    Will it be published to the iOS App Store then?
    Also, will Unity Remote 4 remain in the iOS App Store once Unity Remote 5 is released?
    (Just making sure so that I still have access to Unity Remote 4, because it has been very stable as long as I worked with it. I don't want to run into any possible issues with the new version and be stuck with the new version only.)

24. inkredibl

inkredibl

Unity Technologies

@Shushustorm Unity Remote 5 is backwards compatible and will replace Unity Remote 4 and it's not that different from it so I can see no reason why it should be less stable, but if you do have any data points on that, please share!
    (Of course new features of Unity Remote 5 will only work with Unity 5.4+, but other than that it will work fine with earlier versions of Unity)

Shushustorm likes this.
  25. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

26. Griffo

Griffo

I get the error ..

GfxFramebufferGLES: An active RenderTargetSetup has dangling pointers.

All still seems to work ok, does anyone know what this means ?

Thanks.