Search Unity

Unity remote 5 not working !!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jqob, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Jqob

Jqob

Hi I've been trying to get unity remote 5 working for the past 2 hours or so. I did all the steps I could find on the internet.

- I installed android studio with sdk,
    - I installed JDK
    - I put the SDK,JDK inside unity external tools
    - I've setup Android settings in unity
    - I installed ADB drivers for my samsung phone (as you can see in the atached image)
    - I checked "adb devices" command in cmd and it shows my phone as connected
    - I have USB debugging enabled on my phone
    - I have restarted both my pc and phone multiple times

I still can't get the app to work. It just doesn't show anything when I press play!!

Any ideas what to do are appreciated!

Attached Files:

• adb.png
      adb.png
      File size:
      25.8 KB
      Views:
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

3. Jqob

Jqob

Yeah i've tried everything.

I just see the instruction page that says "select a device to use in: Edit > Project Settings > Editor". Nothing happens when I click play tho...

Edit: I'm working on a laptop. I saw there were people saying that it only worked for them when attached to motherboard USB, so idk if that is the issue...

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I just installed Unity Remote 5, first time using it, and it worked perfectly first time from my laptop. What did you select in Project Settings? I chose "Any Android Device". I had the app running on the device, then pressed Play in the Editor, and the UI "sort of" displayed on the device, but at a much lower resolution. I wonder about the value of this app? What is your goal? Seems to me it would be much preferred to just install the app on the device and test directly.

5. Jqob

Jqob

Hey. I woke up today and tried it again and it is working! It's weird, cause I didn't change anything. But I'm not complaining :D

Deleted User and Sewmina7 like this.
  6. kirill-codecombat

kirill-codecombat

Yes, same here, really strange

7. Smireles

Smireles

Well.. hope i get the same luck cuz I'm about to destroy my monitor.

8. mranger

mranger

I can't get it to work.

9. Moonjump

Moonjump

Unity Remote 5 can be a bit tricky at times (I use it most with a Mac / iOS combo). The most common problem I have found is if I start the game in the editor, then start Unity Remote, the remote device will not be found, and often cannot be found until both the computer and device are rebooted.

But start the remote first, then press play in the editor, I am mostly OK. I will just occasionally have to reselect the device in settings (do it while neither the game nor remote are playing).

The only other issue has always been there with Unity Remote 5 (Unity Remote 4 had no problem, I wish it still worked as an alternative). It takes a long time before the remote does anything, so I cannot test anything early in the game (a workaround for some situations is to build a big delay into the opening for testing so anything afterwards happens after the remote starts, but that is not suitable for all bugs).

10. VeggieVampire

VeggieVampire

namseok0920 and mickeyband like this.
  11. Sewmina7

Sewmina7

I'm having the same issue, Look like I have to sleep and wake up to resolve this... haha

12. Hamburgert

Hamburgert

I've struggled for 2 hours or so now and this stupid app is still just showing the pretty background without doing anything at all.

What I've tried:
    - Updated Unity to 2019.3.0f6
    - Made sure to install the modules for Android build with the SDK and the JDK selected
    - I'm unable to find "OEM drivers" or "Google Usb drivers" for OnePlus phones specifically. I AM however fully able to debug in chrome on this phone so I'm guessing the usb drivers are good to go.
    - My OnePlus5T shows up in adb devices (it's authorized)
    - My phone is in USB debugging mode
    - The app shows "Select a device, Edit > Project settings > Editor". It never shows anything else.
    - In the Unity editor I can only select "None" or "Any Android Device". I left it on the latter.
    - Restarted Unity and pressed play
    - Restarted the App and pressed play
    - Restarted my computer and tried every combination of unplugging, replugging, restarting the app and restarting unity before pressing play.
    - Tried different usb slots.
    - Updated windows, another restart.
    - Tried every USB mode on the phone, PTP, File transfer, Midi, USB Tethering, "No file transfer"
    - Created a fresh empty project, did literally nothing except the project setting for remote devices "Any Android device".

I'm getting annoyed and frustrated so I'm going to try the sleeping-and-hope-it-randomly-works-tomorrow tactic reported by someone else. Maybe I should try spinning three times in the direction of the sun on the brightest moon of the month and chant frantically while dressed in feathers wearing a green sandal on my head.

I can't find anything more to try, Google is running out of suggestions, except showing me all the other people who were equally struggling.

13. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

In my case it only works if I launch Unity with the android device previously connected to the pc. If I connect it when Unity is already running it does not work.

Pretty buggie, I have had issues with it for the last, 5 years?

14. ndifrekeumoh789

ndifrekeumoh789

When there is a will, there is a way. You would surely figure it somehow. And when you do.... Lemme know :)

15. Hamburgert

Hamburgert

Slight update, some more things I tried that didn't work:
    - Made sure the editor was allowed through windows firewall (no change)
    - Disabled the Windows Firewall completely (no change)
    - Tried installing different (?) usb drivers but windows refuses as "you have the best driver already"
    - Noticed the build settings can PERFECTLY FINE detect my device and load the game if I build
    - Found a post that said to disable arm64 from the target architecture settings (edit->project settings ->Player->"other settings"-> "Configuration" somewhere near that). No change.
    - Fiddled with different settings, like changing Scripting Backend to IL2CPP (no change), switching API compability level (no change), switching the android minimum/target API level (no change).
    - Tried switching the priority thingy for Graphics API to OpenGLES3, no change.
    - In the "Game" tab, up top left, there is a choice "Aspect free", click that and select "Remote (Not Connected)". No change.
    - Tried uninstalling Java (that one obscure stackoverflow answer). No change.

Sometimes I stop and stare into the air, then I remember that this is a quest for simplicity. Not sure why simplicity is so hard.

M_R_M likes this.
  16. jc-drile77

jc-drile77

There is something else yet to try , another Android device. :S

17. Drakonhawk

Drakonhawk

18. rraayy789

rraayy789

Hey! I don't know if you fixed your issue by now, but i managed to get it to work by mixing a bunch of stuff i found :
    • First i had to uncheck the "Android SDK Tools Installed with Unity", and then browse for the SDK folder (the default path is "C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/YOUR UNITY VERSION/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/SDK" if you downloaded the sdk through Unity Hub, else it can be where you put it when installing it).
    • Ounce that done, save your project and leave unity.
    • Now go through your file explorer and browse to the previous path (C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/YOUR UNITY VERSION/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/SDK), then go into "tools", now copy the file "zipalign.exe", and paste it into the "build-tools" folder, which is located in the previous folder.
    • Finally launch Unity remote (still in debugging mode), plug your phone, and launch unity. Hitting play will now display your project on your phone.
    I don't know what role that "zipalign" file has, but i guess it's very important haha!
    Hope it helped !

19. rafayel_zealous

rafayel_zealous

Hey!
    I fixed same issue after struggling 2 days.
    I'm not sure if it need's all the chain but that's what I've done.
    Disable all the checkboxes of preferances/external tools(sdk,ndk,gradle), enable back, restart the workstation.
    Hope this will help you all

ATate, attria, losporkos and 2 others like this.
  20. vizet_78

vizet_78

Dear rafayel_v_unity, your approach (disable-enable the checkboxes) fixed the issue for me. Thank you very much!

21. vedraan

vedraan

@rraya I think just the first two steps were needed to make it work (copying the file wasn't required for me).
    So it's like @rafayel_v_unity said:

- toggle this checkbox off:
    Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 14.55.49.png

- restart Unity

- Remote works, you can then toggle the checkbox back on so it doesn't complain about not using Unity supported SDK

- it keeps working

I think there is a bug somewhere in unity where it doesn't copy this path to remote support on Unity install, you need to force it by switching to "manual" path even though it's the same exact path again.

On my older Macbook I didn't have to do this since I was using Andoid SDK I had installed before Unity, I was close to doing it again installing Android Studio thinking the Unity SDK just won't work with my phone, but then I found this answer.

Many thanks to both of you :)

hLLwx, attria and alierdogan7 like this.
  22. ponponboy

ponponboy

thanks! works perfect!

23. nrepesh

nrepesh

This video helped me.

xiongv13 and bruceweir1 like this.
  24. OussamaRip

OussamaRip

It FINALLY works .. Thank you guys :D

25. Duckocide

Duckocide

I'm using 2020.1 beta. So to get mine to work, I had to uncheck the installed with unity Android SDK and use the one installed with Android Studio (on Windows) so installs in to (drive):\Users\(your user)\AppData\Android\Sdk. I also made sure the right tooling (sdk) etc was installed by running up a basic project in Android dev studio (which triggered various SDK tool installs for my device - Sony xz3). That seemed to sort everything out. Not obvious at all and the posts and videos above lead me to this.

Dev20tx likes this.
  26. fightzuzak

fightzuzak

Thanks. I found that my problem is preference setting! Really thanks!

27. vet-cat

vet-cat

I had the same problem (MacBook + android device) - helped change the path to the SDK installed by Android studio and restart unity3d (there was no problem connecting the iphone)

Attached Files:

28. Peelark

Peelark

This worked for me too! After almost 3 hours of faff!!! <3

29. pansoul

pansoul

After a couple of days I was able to run this S***.

So, what need to do:

1. Close Unity if it's running
    2. Connect your phone to computer
    3. Change "Use USB" to "Transfer files" (I have "Charge only" selected by default)
    4. Enable Developers mode and switch on USB debugging
    5. Open Unity
    5.1 Be sure that you have no warnings and errors in External Tools (Edit > Preferences > External Tools)
    5.2 Be sure that you have selected Device in Unity Remote group in Project Settings (Edit > Project Settings. I've selected "Any Android Device")
    5.3 If you have made some changes in 5.1-5.2, start with item 1.​
    6. Open Unity Remote 5 App on your mobile
    7. Press Play in the Unity Editor

If it still doesn't work then you can try to update USB Cabel driver (from your phone vendor) and/or install SDK/NDK/JDK and configure the SDK/NDK/JDK paths in Unity and start with item 1.

I hope it will help someone :)

My phone: Honor 9, Android v9
    Tested in Unity v2018.4.15f1, v2019.8.17f1 and v2019.3.14f1 (were used with built-in SDK/NDK/JDK)

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    annane likes this.
  30. BNJMO

BNJMO

Please Unity, for god sake, when are you finally going to update this app and give it a little bit more love?
    It has never been a smooth experience using it and lately since Unity 2019, for some reason, it would simply not work anymore on my pc, even though when I build the app, Unity directly finds my connected android. Even sleeping and waking up again didn't help :(

M_R_M and SoftwareGeezers like this.
  31. iliyano

iliyano

im going insane dude

32. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

The key here is that the paths Unity provide are using forward slashes '/' while Windows requires backslashes '\'. Simply provide the same paths for SDK, NDK, JDK, but change all the slashes so they are backslashes and it will solve the issue. Be sure to restart Unity after the change.

ishan711997 likes this.
  33. ishan711997

ishan711997

34. ishan711997

ishan711997

yaaa it's very helpful, i tried all the things but this little things solve my problem. thanku very much

35. alierdogan7

alierdogan7

This is the only solution worked for me after days of struggling. Thanks for advice.

36. ZoidbergForPresident

ZoidbergForPresident

I can't believe there are so many issues with this. Unity is a despicable IDE for mobile dev. :(

zeropointblack likes this.
  37. mastergamebuilders

mastergamebuilders

Well said

38. mastergamebuilders

mastergamebuilders

Unity is a piece of Crap, with alottttttttttt of issues

zeropointblack likes this.
  39. ZoidbergForPresident

ZoidbergForPresident

Eventually made it work but I wouldn't be able to tell you what exactly allowed me to.

Try changing the folders of the different sdks to exactly what they are when checked but do the browse yourself then quit Unity, plug in your device, launche Remote THEN launch Unity and switch to mobile.

Marrt likes this.
  40. gaganbindoria

gaganbindoria

After like bursting my mind for about 3 hours i got it to work, this solution is for those who don't have any errors in their preferences>External_Tools ^ Android.
    • So i had all things JDK,NDK,Gradle everything recommended by unity and i can build and run the games too but when it comes to the remote it doesn't work.
    • If you relate with me then this will work for you-:
    • Solution : So what i did was unchecked all the JDK,NDK,Gradle and closed unity editor and then after starting unity again it didn't work the first time then i checked at the ProjectSettings>Editor^UnityRemote the default setting was Device=None then i changed it too Device=Any Android Device.
    Suddenly out of the air my android screen got blue the default background for my project and it fword+ing worked.
    I hope this helps cause i know the struggle.
    PS: The Unity Remote was running the whole time i didn't restarted it or anything it just worked .
    (Pardon my English)

Marrt likes this.
  41. OvnaCompany

OvnaCompany

Thanks !!

MHerrmann likes this.
  42. datscharf

datscharf

This adviced solved it for me. I looked at the path set by Unity and the Android SDK tools path is using mostly forward slashes, except the last part which has a backslash. Just change this from
    C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.5f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer\SDK
    to
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2019.4.5f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\AndroidPlayer\SDK

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  43. Geogalion

Geogalion

You save my life datscharf! I'm under Windows, and it uses backslashes for the path.
    It works!

44. Marrt

Marrt

This helped me, i just:
    • pressed copy path on each item in Preferences>ExternalTools
    • removed the checkmark
    • pasted the path in again
    Looks like this now:
    upload_2020-8-23_21-12-38.png

BAEKBROS likes this.
  45. Bruno_100

Bruno_100

Thank you so much men you helped finally it worked!!!
    I am going to say how i did to manage to work:
    I saw that i didnt had the "zipalign.exe" in my tools folder but i had in my "build-tools" so i copied from that folder and paste in. The rest i did it like you said and worked fine! :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  46. kthrose

kthrose

In my case, changing Preferences -> External Tools -> SDK Tools to
    /Users/{USER}/Library/Android/sdk AND fully quitting Unity (2019.4 LTS) worked. It did not work until restarting Unity.

What a nightmare :D it worked fine for iPhone without any issue, but Android was a real headache. I wonder what is wrong with Unity's 2019 LTS bundled SDK tools that prevents it from working? In my case I am using a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

47. _Vaclav_

_Vaclav_

I tried everything that was online to fix it and nothing worked. But I finally found a clear path that fixed it for me!!

(after trying all else, I did the below steps)
    1. Install Android studio and it's own SDK
    2. Open Android studio --> Configure --> SDK Manager
    3. Choose the SDK Tools tab and install "Google USB Driver"
    4. Close everything after it finishes
    5. Open Unity --> Edit --> Preferences --> External Tools
    6. Here Change the Android SDK to the one you installed with Android studio (and has the USB driver)
    7. Hook up the phone with the app opened and run the app in Unity and now suddenly it shows up on my phone!!

Alternate idea tried... but failed
    1. Install android studio
    2. link it to the Unity SDK
    3. in Android studio edit the Unity SDK to include the USB driver
    4. Failed to install
    Must just use the Android studio SDK....

xiongv13 likes this.
  48. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

That's a crazy statement from an Unity Engineer! It takes a relative age to build and run a test app. Remote control allows the same code changes to be tested in Editor without this lengthy build process. For cross platform development, by far the fastest development cycles are achieved targeting PC and Android, and then on to other devices like console and test apps with lengthy buid processes.

The Unity Remote is a key part of development optimisations, saving countless hours.

M_R_M, paulyp1 and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  49. arkantos798

arkantos798

Ok so I had a lot of trouble with this so adding my case in case it helps.

The default path was: ...PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer\SDK
    Changed to: PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/SDK

And works!

gooby429 likes this.
  50. gooby429

gooby429

dude...seriously... it works now ty lol