Search Unity

Unity Remote 4 not available on iTunes App Store

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Eliot_L, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Eliot_L

Eliot_L

When I click the link provided in the manual to download Unity Remote 4 on iOS, it pops open iTunes which says "The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." Also, searching for "Unity Remote 4" on the App Store on my device turns up nothing from Unity Technologies.

I'd build it myself, but I don't yet have an iOS Developer Account.

2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

We are aware of this issue and it will be back soon. Please be patient, I will reply here as soon as it is available again.

Apple have taken the remote down, and we're trying to find out why. In the meantime:
    1. You can still deploy your Unity game to your iOS device. The Remote isn't needed for this.
    2. You can download the source code for the Remote app from Asset Store here. Build that in Xcode and deploy that to your iOS device.
    If you are not signed up with Apple to do iOS development, then the disappearance of the Remote app from the App Store is acknowledged to be frustrating.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    Eliot_L likes this.
  3. cdutoit

cdutoit

Any updates here? Still not available in the US store... :(

4. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the inconveniences but obviously Unity Remote is still not back in the app stores. I'll come back here, once the app is available again!

5. JayCally80

JayCally80

Is it available in another country app store besides the US?

6. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

No sorry, the app is currently unavailable in all app stores, but we work on the problem.

7. n8

n8

Does anybody have just the xcode project? the Unity project requires pro

8. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

9. n8

n8

Thank you for this! It is really weird for apple to yank an app so completely from the store. For instance I can still access apps from my purchased list that have been taken down from the app store, but not the Unity remote. This is really strange.

10. jashan

jashan

Wow, Apple is really losing it. I'm pretty sure I've had Unity Remote 4 from the App Store on my device. Now it's gone. Then I looked in the store - there is an app called Unity|Remote (Unity (pipe) Remote) that I'm not interested in. Are they f'in crazy?

It would be really nice if Apple could stop being annoying.

Do you have any news on this? Are they at least telling you what their problem is?

Are there any other apps from UT available on the App Store? When I look for "Unity Technologies", all I find is some really weird video from SecondLife (which is about Unity, though, as it seems), and some podcasts and tutorials.

11. jashan

jashan

Ooops, I was wrong: Actually, Unity Remote 4 was and still is available on my phone. It just didn't show up in the search for some weird reason.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

regarding apple, iWatch this space :p

Seems incredibly excessive indeed to just yank what is obviously harmless.

13. jashan

jashan

Indeed. I was actually considering buying the iPhone 6 and Apple Watch until I ran into this. Hopefully they'll deliver a reasonable apology and allow UT to publish it to this forum thread. Then I might consider it again ;-)

14. Moonjump

Moonjump

We don't know the full story yet. I doubt it is a case of Unity forgetting to renew their App Store account, but that kind of thing happens. Sony Online forgot to renew a domain used for their servers, causing their games to go offline.

15. jashan

jashan

That would be kind of embarrassing ... but on the other hand: S*** happens ;-) ... that's a good point - better not make assumptions until we know for sure. @David: Any news you could share?

16. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

@jashan Sorry, there is still no updated information available. We hope of course that Unity Remote will be back shortly. It's a very unusual technical problem in licensing, but technicians on both sites work on a solution to solve the problem as soon as possible so we can go back to normal. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

hatake3 likes this.
  17. jashan

jashan

Thanks for the update - and good luck to you!

18. JayCally80

JayCally80

19. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

@JayCally80 is right! Unity Remote 4 and all other apps from Unity Technology are back again in all supported App Stores! We apologise for the inconvenience and hope you can continue with your great work now!

hatake3 likes this.
  20. jashan

jashan

Great! Thanks for fixing this and thanks for the update!!! Now I can preorder my iPhone 6 and reconsider getting one of those fancy Apple Watches once they become available ;-)

David-Berger likes this.
  21. JayCally80

JayCally80

@jashan I'm waiting to hear if Unity will support the Apple Watch. I'm already thinking of ideas on how you could interact with your game by using the "Jetsons" watch.

22. jashan

jashan

Yeah, support for Apple Watch would certainly be awesome ... let's see what the Apple Watch offers in that respect - but it could certainly be a lot of fun when that device does get support!