Search Unity

Unity Reflect Viewer - BIM Button function?

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by garrido86, Dec 1, 2020.

1. garrido86

garrido86

As the title says, on the right side is a "BIM" button which on press opens up a list-view. For me the list is always empty, on the other hand the category filter button works just fine.

So my question is, what is the list when clicking the BIM supposed to show and what is the requirements on the Revit file to get the data there.

2. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Hey Garrido,
    The BIM button will show BIM information on selected objects. Once activated, you can click on 3D objects in your scene to show its BIM info.

3. garrido86

garrido86

To be frank, this is a none answer for me and the question still stands

What is BIM information in that context? Is it another filter? Does is show some kind of relationship between things? I can't find an example and I don't have any Revit files at hand that show the BIM information panel with any content, despite the raw Revit file being full of information.

So as of now, the BIM button stays a mystery to me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  4. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

Sorry for not being clear - Each object in the scene has metadata attached to it, or BIM Information. This information is what is used to populate the filters you see on the right side. The trouble with the filters is that you cannot inspect the information that is tied to one specific object.
    The BIM Selection button on the left side allows you to do exactly that - to inspect the metadata tied explicitly to the selected object.
    This metadata is BIM Information/Properties if your file comes from Revit, but can be other types of Metadata if you files comes from Navisworks, Rhino, Sketchup, etc. In Revit, these are properties such as Family, Category, etc, but it can also be user-defined in the Revit file, so it can really be anything.
    If your scene is from Revit, every object in the scene will have some Metadata. You can then add to it by adding properties in Revit.

If you're in the Unity Editor and you import you data using Reflect, you will see that each object has a Metadata component on it - this information is what the BIM Selection tool will show you.

Have a look at the gif under "Improved Selection" here

garrido86 likes this.
  5. garrido86

garrido86

Ah now I get it, the BIM button changes the interaction state to allow the user to select and inspect objects!

Btw is there besides this forum section some other form of communication (like Slack or so)?

6. DavidMenard

DavidMenard

Unity Technologies

this is it at the moment! We have some Slack bots that ping us whenever someone posts on the forums, so there is visibility here :)
    We'll most likely setup some kind of formal feedback (beta) program for next year, to organize roundtables and feedback sessions

garrido86 likes this.
  7. garrido86

garrido86

Great to hear that! Although an official Unity Slack for all things non-gaming with developer interactions would be awesome ;)