Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eco-Editor

Eco-Editor

He all,
    I'm using Unity 2018.1.2 and get this error which was previously discussed here but no answer was found:
    Error in VideoMediaEncoder::Create create and setting attributes in...

The recording will stop after 1 second and this error appears. this is my configuration:
    upload_2019-4-16_15-45-22.png

2. LukeBryan93

LukeBryan93

Hi

Im having some issues with the recorder. No matter what type of recorder i choose or capture type i pick, the frames always come out black.

I have one camera in my scene that is set to MainCamera and the target display is 'Display 1' and also Target Eye is set to None (Main Display)

Not quite sure what this error could be.

Would really appreciate some help

Thanks

3. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @mohamedomran838 and @Eco-Editor !
    Looks like you are using an old version of Recorder.
    If you are using 2018.3 and +, I would suggest to use the Package manager version.
    If you are < 2018.3, install last version of Recorder from the Asset Store (it does not have the last updates though)

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  4. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @LukeBryan93 ,

Would you mind opening a new thread and add the "recorder" tag on it so we can discuss this more efficiently ?

Please also provide those informations :
    - Unity version
    - OS version
    - Recorder version

And answers to those questions :
    Are they some errors in the console ?
    Does this happens in a very simple project (a cube for example) ?

Thanks a bunch !

5. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @shacharoz and @WithQuietIntentions !
    Recorder is Editor only so it will not work in a build (so not directly in SteamVR).

Being able to Record in runtime is something we want to add at some point. Possible it will not be via Recorder though.

Sorry about that.

6. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @hedgefield !

Thanks for you kind words.

Will need more context in order to answer you. So Would you mind opening a new thread and add the "recorder" tag on it so we can discuss this more efficiently ?

First question I would have is : are you using a Recorder Clip ?

Good information to also include in your answer :
    * Unity version
    * Recorder version
    * OS version
    * Screenshot of your Recorder settings

Thanks !

7. Chimpien

Chimpien

Hi,

This asset worked great until I updated Unity to 2019.1, now the version from the asset store has errors when imported of the form:
    The type or namespace name 'UIElements' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine.Experimental' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    and I can not see it in the package manager.

8. kilik128

kilik128

same here waiting 2019.1 update all of us

9. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

10. zombieguy

zombieguy

Is there any way to control the bitrate in the latest package? All my exports have severe banding and very low bitrates and I can't find a way around this.

11. AleksZotov

AleksZotov

Hello, please update unity recorder to 2019 version! Errors when opening and i can't find it in the package manager. :(

12. captnhanky

captnhanky

unity 2018.3.6f1

Hi!

I have the following issues with the recorder:
    There is no sound when recording..
    And the playback of the video is too fast, the audio is ok.
    I suppose that my machine could be too slow
    Is there an easy fix for this? Changing frame rate and quality to bad for example does not help much

thanks
    Andy

13. andreaaniceto

andreaaniceto

Hi,

Unity Version: 2019.1.0f2
    Issue Title: Recorder produces empty video file when Timeline is focused.
    Description:
    When the timeline is focused, the recorder produces a video file of only 65 KB and generates 300+ errors in the console (log file: https://pastebin.com/eshhbeE1 ).
    If the console tab is focused, then no errors are thrown and the video file is generated as expected.

14. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

15. MstislavPavlov

MstislavPavlov

Hi, Marief.

Is there any way to setup bitrate in recorder 2.0?

zombieguy likes this.
  16. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

17. racarate

racarate

hey gang! i am starting to use the new unity recorder (in package manager) to put together some educational materials and i have two simple questions:

1. is there anything special to get EXR working on mac? i get an error about "encodeToEXR" having an "unsupported texture format"

2. does the image data come out gamma-corrected or straight linear? i was surprised that i didn't have to apply a gamma curve in blackmagic fusion when i was turning the image sequence into a movie. my lighting in the unity project is set to linear btw and i am not using a post stack.

setup: 2018.3.12f1, mojave 10.14.2, metal backend

18. kilik128

kilik128

got this
    Context: IMFSinkWriter::SetInputMediaType (audio, some AAC parameters may be unsupported)
    Error details: Les donn맳 sp룩fi맳 pour le type de m맩a ne sont pas valides, sont incoh볥ntes ou ne sont pas prises en charge par cet objet.
    Track types:

on audio

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    RobbyZ likes this.
  19. Milan-Sadariya

Milan-Sadariya

Same issue

20. Milan-Sadariya

Milan-Sadariya

Hi I same having same issue Do you find any solution?

21. Wreckertike

Wreckertike

Hi I am facing this same issue with Stereo 360 capture. It only happens on certain things. I can replicate it when using bloom in Post Processing. If I turn bloom on, I can clearly see the cubemap box in the rendered images, turn bloom off, works okay.

Also had the same issue when bringing in a fbx of smoke that was created in tilt brush. Makes me think it doesnt like bright lighting on a stitch...

EDIT: I have closed in on the bloom issue relating to the diffuse, if you take that to 1 it removes the stitch line (but diffuse is the goodness we seek so not a fiX)

Anyone found a workaround?

Below images clearly show (with and without bloom)

bloomnone.PNG bloom.PNG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  22. apuyanam

apuyanam

I am having the same problem, did you find a fix?

23. Milan-Sadariya

Milan-Sadariya

Hi WOR,
    I have an issue in the smoke particle only see the image. And i did not find any solution yet i try with 4 to 5 360 recorders but all have the same problem because at the base they all using the same method see the link attached.
    https://blog.google/products/google-ar-vr/bringing-pixels-front-and-center-vr-video/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Wreckertike likes this.
  24. racarate

racarate

hey all, i decided to stop using mac because of the EXR output bug but was wondering if anybody could answer my question about linear:

does the image data come out gamma-corrected or straight linear? i was surprised that i didn't have to apply a gamma curve in blackmagic fusion when i was turning the image sequence into a movie. my lighting in the unity project is set to linear btw and i am not using a post stack.

25. etopsirhc

etopsirhc

So i'm using this to record frame by frame a video, via img record and render textures, but it seems like the post processing isnt getting applied, particularly the motion blur. is there any way to fix this?
    note: i need all the cameras synced, so i cant do game view, or 360 view, and i need the quality from the hdrp.

26. poulskrae

poulskrae

I'm getting the following error, when trying to import the version 2.0.0 package through the Package Manager:

Package has invalid dependencies:
    com.unity.timeline: Package [com.unity.timeline@1.0.0] cannot be foun
    d

Any ideas?

I'm using Unity version 2018.3.0f2

27. AlessandroElifani

AlessandroElifani

Hi all, I'm having trouble recording a 360 Stereo movie capture from the editor.
    It report this error:
    InvalidOperationException: Cannot access the data as it is not available
    UnityEngine.Rendering.AsyncGPUReadbackRequest.GetData[T] (System.Int32 layer) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/AsyncGPUReadback.bindings.cs:26)
    UnityEditor.Recorder.BaseTextureRecorder`1[T].WriteFrame (UnityEngine.Rendering.AsyncGPUReadbackRequest r) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.recorder@2.0.0-preview.6/Editor/Sources/BaseTextureRecorder.cs:90)
    UnityEditor.Recorder.BaseTextureRecorder`1[T].ReadbackDone (UnityEngine.Rendering.AsyncGPUReadbackRequest r) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.recorder@2.0.0-preview.6/Editor/Sources/BaseTextureRecorder.cs:64)

Using unity 2018.3.13f1
    Unity Recorder from package manager, last version.
    Capture Settings:
    Also tried with timeline capture, same settings, same result:
    The result is that a movie file is saved with 0kb size and can't open as it show as a corrupted file.

Any advice on this or an alternative soultion?
    I'm targeting Oculus Go for viewing the video

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  28. racarate

racarate

how hard would it be to extend screen recorder to use a trigger collider to stop recording? i am making some procedural animations and it would be cool to by-script tell it to record ten runs with random seeds but STOP when the thing my camera is focused on gets to the goal

29. I33N

I33N

Hi!

I have exactly the same issue.

My setup is a bit complex, I am trying to do 3D post processing / VFX on 360 stereo footage.
    To do so I use the 360 stereo player to display my footage in VR (with fixed camera position) and I place my objects in my scene using real measured distance from the camera in the real scene. I then fine tune my object placement in VR using stereoscopy cues. This works really fine and when I end up being happy with the placement in VR it's most of the time quite coherent with the 3D scene.

The main problem arises when I try to re-render my VFX layer in stereo 360. I use the same IPD then the one used for footage stitching but when I overlay my computed equirectangular image to the footage it looks like some objects appears way closer in terms of stereoscopy than what they are supposed to be, but their sizes are coherent with their position in the 3D scene (objects supposed to be closer are smaller than object supposed to be far in my 3D scene).

It really looks like a FOV or focal issue but it makes no sense in 360 images? And playing with camera FOV doesn't change a thing...

If I try to re-render the original image I have a strong offset in the final render only in one eye.

I have been trying many things but no luck so far in rendering something coherent...

Any clue?

@ShervinVR Did you end up finding a solution?

Thanks,

Ben

30. Wreckertike

Wreckertike

Yup have also tried multiple recorders and seems like the same issue. Lets hope their is a fix in the future, for now, no nice Post Processing and environmental effects :(

Milan-Sadariya likes this.
  31. keinart

keinart

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the recorder since I got the new version from the package. I've loved this asset since day one and in fact, if I download the old version from the Asset store and use it in any 2018 unity version it works nicely, but for 2019 unity there seem to be a few bugs. Hope this helps to fix them.

For my project, if I record video in 30 fps music will double its speed and go all over the place. If I record in 60 fps this gets fixed, but if the video is long (just like over a minute or so) it will fail and display the following error:

VideoMediaEncoder::~VideoMediaEncoder 764 encoding errors. UnityEditor.Recorder.BaseTextureRecorder`1:ReadbackDone(AsyncGPUReadbackRequest)

Even after this error, I will get a video out of it, but the sound will stop abruptly after a few seconds. So basically I think that the sound part of the video recording seems to be malfunctioning. This happens no matter what kind of settings beyond the fps part.

Please keep in mind, as I mentioned before, that with the exact same project but in a 2018 Unity version and using the asset version nothing of this happens, so I doubt it has anything to do with my project.

Thanks.

32. scarffy

scarffy

Hi,

I'm facing similar issue. Have you found any solution or workaround for this?

Thanks!

33. unity_CESktLdPc_8Szw

unity_CESktLdPc_8Szw

Dear,
    I would like to record 2 separate scenes. When the fist one will be finished, i want to (open) record the second.
    On the description on the asset store it said that "Record across multiple scenes" is possible.
    How can i do that ?
    Best,

34. YuriyVotintsev

YuriyVotintsev

Hi,
    I'm trying to record 360 stereo video in HDRP. But get bugged image:
    image.png
    How to fix this? Or this is not supported for now?

Milan-Sadariya likes this.
  35. moliminous

moliminous

hey, this is causing everything to speed up by 50% I see you told someone to make another thread (they didn't) but I think an answer here would help everyone more.

36. radiantboy

radiantboy

I cant even work out how to get this can someone help? cant find on package manager either.

37. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Multiple recorder renders output from multiple cameras at once is essential for film work.

I'm running into the same issue with multiple recorders / multiple cameras running in Timeline.

One workaround that briefly worked: Have a separate Game View open for each camera set to a different display and pray it works. Sometimes it does, most of the time one renders as a composite of the two, or it renders black.

Any timeline on being able to accomplish simultaneous multi-camera & recorder outputs? I'm working on some Made With Unity films and this is a showstopper.

38. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey there,

Recorder 2.0.1-preview.1 has been released.
    Here's the change log :
    - Add first version of AudioRecorder in the package
    - Fixed Recorder labels that were not editable anymore
    - Fixed Recorder List presets that were reloaded with an empty name
    - Clean UIElements warning in 2019.2

It is still in preview so you need the "Show preview packages" option in Advanced section of Package Manager window checked (<--- that might help you @radiantboy)

2.0.2-preview.1 should follow soon with more bug fixes.

Thanks for you patience !

39. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @moliminous,

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-recorder-speeding-up-video-in-my-scene.663370/ may-be ?
    Summary of what is in the above thread : It is a know issue, not easily fixable.
    The underlying issue is that right now Video Player is following the system time and not the game time. We would need Video Player to detect a Recording is happening and switch playback variant.

Let me know if this answers your question.

40. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Elliott-Mitchell !

The answer you are quoting is a little bit old, since then we actually added to possibility to output several cameras.
    That said we are in a stabilization phase, Unity is evolving pretty fast, so there are bugs to be fixed.

So how about opening a new thread with Recorder tag so you can share more precisely your set-up :
    - Unity version
    - OS
    - Recorder version
    - Other plugins (HDRP ?)
    - for each Recorder you are using, their settings (especially the sources)

There might be a fine tune that would allow you to get what you need.

Anyways thanks for the feedback and the patience !

41. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @poulskrae,

Packaged Recorder requires at least 2018.3.4f1.

poulskrae likes this.
  42. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @keinart,

In 2019.1, Recorder tries to take advantage of asynchronous readback to improve preformance. Seems that your issue is related to this.
    That said, I lack information to be able to reproduce.

Would you mind opening a new thread with recorder tag and precise :
    - Unity version
    - OS
    - Recorder version
    - Other plugins (HDRP ?)
    - Complete log of the error
    - Ideally, a sample project that demos the issue

Thanks for reporting this !

43. TimNick151297

TimNick151297

Short question, haven't tried out the new recorder yet, but is it possible now to record offline like in Unreal, where every image is rendered framerate independently?

44. YuriyVotintsev

YuriyVotintsev

Can any one help with my issue? Can any one try unity recorder with hdrp and say if this is unsupported, or i am doing something wrong? @marief_unity, can you help me?

45. normanmontillano

normanmontillano

Is there a Standalone player in unity recorder?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  46. DanielAtLevelEx

DanielAtLevelEx

Hey I have a big issues i'm trying to figure out if is bug or not.

I'm using a HDRP project to create a VFX with the VFX graph.

Then i'm recording with the Unity's Recorder tool to export out to a flipbook so I can use this fx in my standard pipeline project.

The issue i'm having is that I can't get the alpha to export!

Set up so far.

1 camera
    -Background type (Color-Black-Alpha:0)

2.Exporter
    -Image Sequence
    -Format PNG
    -Capture alpha:true

Capture :Target Camera
    Source: Main Camera

Reading the documentation this should work...Much appreciated! upload_2019-6-10_12-54-35.png

upload_2019-6-10_12-56-14.png

47. moliminous

moliminous

this doesn't work btw the code provided seems to be bugged. can we get any other actual solution?

48. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi, unfortunately this is currently not supported by HDRP. We are aware of the limitation, it is something that we have on our radar to provide a solution.

Regards,
    Jean

49. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @YuriyVotintsev,

I was able to reproduce your issue. I can "workaround" the artefact by desactivating Shadows and Volumetric Fogs in the Rendering Settings. So the assumption here is that the implementation of the Stereo camera mode (that is used under the hood in 360 Recorder input) is not fully implemented in HDRP yet. I poked the graphics team to confirm this and get more information.

Thanks for you patience !

Edit: adding other users that reported the issue : @WOR @I33N @Milan-Sadariya @unity_p_JRNrW0eMKYVQ
    A internal bug case has been created. Will let you know when fixed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  50. Spierek

Spierek

@marief_unity The "fccore" bug has been present in the plugin for over a year now and it makes it impossible to upload iOS builds from XCode to App Store if the package is linked to the project. It's even been mentioned on this very page.

Previously this could be patched by changing fccore.dlls platform definitions to be included in "Editor" only (or at the very least excluded on iOS), but with the package switching over to Package Manager, all of these files are read-only and cannot be transferred between devices using version control. Currently, the only solution seems to be removing the Recorder every time a build is being made and re-adding it afterwards.

Do you have any fixes planned for this problem? This plugin is extremely useful for recording gameplay videos and making screenshots, but for mobile developers it's a huge pain to use, and honestly it shouldn't be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.