Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. ivank

ivank

Hello @chafik_unity , when using Recorder to capture set of *.png images with transparency background for further processing in videoediting sw, the areas influended by ambient occlusion (applied using post-processing stack) seem to be transparent too. Is it a known issue or should it be considered as a bug?

To be specific:
    Win10, Unity 2018.3.b3, default empty scene, standard rendering pipeline (it means no LWRP or HDRP etc.).
    Skybox material removed; few boxes with default material, default light and camera.
    Apply Post-Processing stack 2.0.13, there apply Ambient Occlusion -> Scalable Ambient Obscurance.
    Use Recorder 1.0 installed from the Asset Store
    The results are in the attached pictures, as well as screenshots of camera and postprocessing settings plus recorder settins.

Attached Files:

2. optimise

optimise

The quality of the video does not looks good. Seems like it has a lot noise compare to original game view. Is that currently Video Unity Recorder didn't use GPU to do the recording?

Video
    upload_2018-10-4_20-29-16.png

Game View
    upload_2018-10-4_20-31-22.png

3. RobinHoodPT

RobinHoodPT

Thanks for this amazing tool.
    There are some issues with mp4 recordings however.
    If I try to record with mp4, there's no post-processing applied to the camera.
    While with webm there is post processing.
    MP4 Settings: https://i.imgur.com/P6pz8ml.png
    Webm settings: https://i.imgur.com/s3wMHKN.png

Any idea what could be causing this?

Also, not related to this.
    If I use the animation window to play an animation the recorder does not work well.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. any_user

any_user

Where to submit bug reports for this package (and packages in general)? In our case, having recorder included with the package manager breaks the build process, because the samples have editor references. Looks like the Unity.Recorder.Samples asmdef includes the editor things but it's not tagged as editor assembly definition.

The error message (on cloud build) is following (and other similar ones):
    /BUILD_PATH/Library/Unity/cache/packages/staging-packages.unity.com/com.unity.recorder@1.0.2-preview/Samples/Editor/RecorderEditorExample.cs(7,11): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MenuItem' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

5. ghtx1138

ghtx1138

I'm having trouble recording to an anim file from a Third Person runner game. I'm using Robot Kyle with a humanoid rig and the 3rd Person+ Fly asset but am getting errors when I try to play the anim file recorded with Unity Recorder. The Robot Kyle appears to move in world space but the running animations are not apprent. I have parented the 3rd person camera to Kyle and that appears to be moving OK. I'm also getting a "Binding Warning" in the Animator Inspector. I'm pretty much out of my depth here and would appreciate any pointers and am happy to provide any info.

Ultimately I want to record the third person character and camera and use the resulting animation of gameplay with Cinemachine, so if there is a better way to achieve that I am all ears.

Cheers

Win10 2018.2.10f1

Attached Files:

6. SofielafeeApps

SofielafeeApps

Hi I am producing a trailer for a game with the recorder, great tool but videos are a bit pixelated (Full HD quality=High). Is there any way to improve the quality of the video?

7. periltek_designs

periltek_designs

I'm more or less just wanting to ask a question regarding this package. I'm not interested in recording video or imagery but, am curious as to the animation recording. That said, for example, if I were to set up a player controller with all it's animations, WASD, Opening doors, etc... then play as the character, would it record the string of actions like walking a distance, peak around a corner, and then open a door, so that the string could be applied to a NPC for animating that character in a cut scene?

8. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

I'm trying to use the Unity Recorder on version 2018.2.13f1 with the HD render pipeline but all recorders are outputting black frames.

9. Visual73

Visual73

Hi guys,

I recorded an animation clip of a moving camera with Unity recorder.
    The animation of the recorded camera should be imported into Maya.

What is the procedure ?
    I'm using fbxexporter.

Attached Files:

10. ivank

ivank

Hello @ans_unity , @chafik_unity - I hereby confirm the above mentioned bug also for the latest Unity 2018.3b7 and the Recorder - the bug is filled - case No. 1095732.

11. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Tiny-Ninja,

We are putting the finishing touch to important performance improvements for recorder in 2019.1. Some of these improvements will be noticeable even when using previous Unity's versions (up to 2018.1) but optimal performance will be for the newest release. Our current tests on MacBook Pro (OSX) are showing encoding speed of 30-40 fps at 4K so I'm confident this will resolve the issue you are having.

optimise likes this.
  12. optimise

optimise

Any plan to improve recording quality? Currently the recording quality still not good yet. Another question, any plan to directly use GPU to record video? I believe currently it's output a series of static images then merge together as a video.

codegasm likes this.
  13. michaelzwick

michaelzwick

Cinemachine Output Resolution > x1080p_FHD do not work with Unity Recorder

Cinemachine is a wonderful tool for path definition to render the videos and it works really good for low resolution. If I choose the output resolution to x1440p_QHD or x2160p_4K in the Recorder (MP4) there are some errors:

• WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading E:/zwm/Unity/ProjectVR/./Recordings/movie.mp4
    • Error in VideoMediaEncoder::Create create and setting attributes in ./Recordings/movie.mp4.
      UnityEngine.Recorder.Timeline.RecorderPlayableBehaviour:OnBehaviourPlay(Playable, FrameData)
    • NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
      UnityEditor.Recorder.MediaRecorder.RecordFrame (UnityEngine.Recorder.RecordingSession session) (at Assets/Recorder/Extensions/MovieRecorder/Recorder/Editor/MediaRecorder.cs:240)
      UnityEngine.Recorder.RecordingSession.RecordFrame () (at Assets/Recorder/Framework/Core/Engine/RecordingSession.cs:131)

I'm using:
    • Unity 2018.1.7f1 on Windows 7
    • Cinemachine 2.2.7
    • Unity Recorder (experimental) 0.2.0032
    Is there someone who know where the error could come from? Perhaps it’s from the experimental Unity Recorder or Windows 7 (https://forum.unity.com/threads/cinemachine-output-resolution-x1080p_fhd-do-not-work.576676/).

Thanks Michael

14. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Visual73

Have a look at this video, it will show you how to export cameras to Maya with FBX.

And here how to export recorded animations (using the old recorder).

I hope this will help even though it's not the latest workflow the videos are showing. We are working at making new ones with the latest tools.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  15. Spookytooth3D

Spookytooth3D

Hey guys, Has anyone done something to automatically inject the metadata into the images so that autodetection of a 360 image by Facebook or YouTube, for example, will work properly?

Is this a feature that has been discussed for Recorder?

16. Spookytooth3D

Spookytooth3D

Also, Just a quick note about the posts I've seen here about the image quality of mp4. This video format is "LOSSY", which means the codec crushes like values into one another to make the frame size smaller. Its more about making a smaller file size than it is a quality one. Use frame output and run out those frames using AfterEffects or Premier for a higher quality, larger file sized, movie export. Just my 2 cents. Have fun!

17. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @michaelzwick !

This looks indeed like a Windows 7 limitation.
    Here's the underlying error :
    WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading ...\movie.mp4
    Context: IMFSinkWriter::SetInputMediaType
    Error details: The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.

Some infos :
    So I don't know yet for sure, but it looks like the decoding limitation could be the culprit here (even if we are doing encoding).

That said I can confirm that the issue is not happening on Windows 10.

So, unfortunately, there might currently be no way to workaround this except upgrading your version of Windows, or exporting into another format.

I opened an internal bug report so we can keep this in our scope and worst case scenario add a proper error message.

Sorry about that !

ps: @Barabicus, that might also be your issue. Are you using Windows 7 ?
    @_eternal, I guess this also answers your question.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018 at 2:28 PM
  18. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey there !
    (@Spookytooth3D, @optimise, @Guillaume42, @robinspots, @dsilverthorn)

A lot of concerns about the Video Quality has been raised.
    We are indeed aware of those issues and are currently working at a better way of setting and exposing the codec parameters, so anyone can reach the level of quality one needs.

But as it is related to Unity Core and each OS Video API, it is a slower release timeline.

So hold on :)
    Thanks you so much for your patience.

codegasm and optimise like this.
  19. optimise

optimise

Thanks for the reply. I hope in future it will have very nice recording quality + fast recording speed like Bandicam and output size is smaller like Bandicam.

marief_unity likes this.
  20. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @RobinHoodPT,

I gave a try : added a grading to a scene and exported a WebM + a MP4 with no issue.

So : what version of Unity, Recorder, Render pipeline and Post-processing are you using ? What is your OS version ?
    Also would you mind providing a project demo-ing the issue so I can reproduce exactly your issue ?

Thanks a bunch :)

21. el_boogie

el_boogie

Hi! I have an issue with particles using UnityRecorder both in movie and image sequence mode. During recording game process are slowing down and particles emits by portions. In game, even when I using slow motion effect based on Time.timeScale particles emits flawlessly. If I choose Delta Time = Unscaled in ParticleSystem properties helps with emission, but shape and behaviour of whole particle system are incorrect.

Particles using UnityRecorder:

Particles using OBS in-game capture:

Any advice?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 9:38 PM
  22. ivank

ivank

Hello @ans_unity @marief_unity ,
    I wonder if the current UnityRecorder is compatible with Unity 2019.1 alpha?
    (or if not, is it possible to get somewhere - of course pre-release - compatible one?)

When I try to record *.png image sequence using Unity 2019.1 alpha with the UnityRecorder obtained from AssetStore , I get the following error:

InvalidOperationException: UIElements can't run in Experimental and Public mode at the same time. Please update your code to use the UnityEngine.UIElements namespace. Use SwitchUIElementMode() to change namespaces
    UnityEditor.GUIView.get_panel () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUIView.cs:39)
    UnityEditor.GUIView.get_visualTree () <0x1a3826ebd50 + 0x00052> in <b7f31666399e48689ce85bc2dd4256e6>:0
    UnityEditor.HostView.UpdatePlayModeColor (UnityEngine.Color newColorToUse) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:671)
    UnityEditor.HostView.PlayModeStateChangedCallback (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:656)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_PlayModeStateChanged (UnityEditor.PlayModeStateChange state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:302)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)