Search Unity

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Unity Recorder V1.0 will be available for 2018.2 and later only.

Main changes will be UI only, but you can already record 16K using a RenderTexture and WebM format. (providing your machine have the horse power to handle such a resolution!)

Hope this helps.

2. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Is there a workaround for PNG recorder not capturing linear color space correctly? ScreenCapture.CaptureScreenshot works correctly, so a quick fix might be to use it to output PNG frames at points determined by the recorder. I opened the issue about it in the repository:

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/GenericFrameRecorder/issues/85

On another subject, is it possible to make the fixed frame time mode (where recorder hijacks the game loop and forces every frame to prepare as long as it needs with perfectly stable delta time) wait a set number of frames every time step before capturing next frame? This would effectively enable supersampling with temporal anti-aliasing, giving it an opportunity to collect multiple jittered samples for every single frame going into a final video.

BrettNexefy likes this.
  3. jeffsarge

jeffsarge

will v1 allow you to record the HD pipeline? Right now it just records black.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

4. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

thanks for your reply ...
    but render texture can't support some of image fx, that applied to the camera ...
    does exists an method to get supersampling [like as SSAA method] ?

P.S: also the recorder's supersamplimg method was bypass the image fx that applied to the camera.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. superlol

superlol

Hi there!
    I'm using the GitHub version and it works with unity 2018.2 HD render pipeline but I only see "image sequence" as recorder and not video (I need to save as video to get the audio output).
    Thx ^_^

6. jexmatex

jexmatex

well i'm quiet confused, i use this package and make it work, but i got this project here, old one that i maintain from version to version and for the first time i have this error when importing

Assets/Unity Technologies/Recorder/Framework/Core/Engine/FileNameGenerator.cs(125,63): error CS0117: `SceneManager' does not contain a definition for `GetActiveScene'

could not figure it out, any idea ?

i tried both the gitthub version and the assetStore one

7. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

@superlol
    Yes, the Movie Recorder was missing from GitHub . You should be able to pull the new code now.

@jexmatex
    Is it the only error you've got in the Console? what version of Unity are you using? the Recorder is for 2017.1 and up.

8. Foriero

Foriero

Hello, when Recorder is going to be available in Package Manager? Current Asset Store version is buggy on osx. Thank you, Marek.

9. jexmatex

jexmatex

Hello Chafik, i'm using 2018.2.0Ff2, my project is older but work fine with this version

superlol likes this.
  10. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

The Recorder should work properly on this version. Try removing any old Recorder files from your project (in Assets/Unity Technologies/Recorder) and re-import it again from the Asset Store.

11. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Marek,

Next release of the Recorder is expected to be on the Asset Store, not the Package Manager, and it's very soon.
    If you can share with us what kind of bugs you are experiencing with the current version, it would be very appreciated!

Thanks.

ZiadJ likes this.
  12. Foriero

Foriero

Hi Chafik, sent you private message with Editor.log hard crash. It happens all the time when you try to convert some files at the onset of your editor window. So I can not even get into the window to record anything.

13. Lauscher

Lauscher

I know the improvedPrefabs build is a preview build but trying to record an image sequence on crashes unity every time. Thought it was something wrong with my project but i just tried it with a completly new empty project and it still crashes every time...

14. JBT27

JBT27

The Output Resolution is not saved with the .unity file. When I reopen a file, it defaults to Window. In a timeline with lots of recorder clips, this can be a real pain. Looking forward to 1.0 - I like what it is now, but 1.0 looks really nice. Being able to output up to 8K is really good, amongst many things.

15. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

I also found this but after I changed it to [UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager.GetActiveScene()],It worked for me.
    Maybe there's other class named SceneManager in your project caused this.

chafik_unity likes this.
  16. Foriero

Foriero

Hi Chafik,

Have you been able to fix the issue just from log? I'm unable to make repro except send whole 4GB project which is not possible right now since I have 2Mb internet.

Please we are waiting for your new recorder version very much.

Thank you, Marek.

17. jexmatex

jexmatex

thank you very much it works now, i didnt know it was possible to address the env directly in the command

18. Cypras

Cypras

19. ktmlleska_unity

ktmlleska_unity

Hello,

is there any example code to just setup some settings of the recorder and then click on start recording button by code?
    Just in order to use it in a build for example when click the "R" key, instead of using it on the editor and manually click at "start Recording" button.

Thank you very much.

MohsenneChaverdie likes this.
  20. 5argon

5argon

"Specific Cameras" does not work with LWRP. Is this a known problem? (Produces fully transparent image sequence/blank video) "Game View" works.

Specific Cameras is needed because I want to capture alpha with PNG sequence or webm. But I can't remove LWRP either since I have used Shader Graph to create shaders and everything turns magenta.

21. MohsenneChaverdie

MohsenneChaverdie

It works fine for me in the Editor. How can I start a RecordingSession from script at run time?

22. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately the Recorder does not work well with the VideoPlayer.
    The VidePlayer is real-time based while the Recorder adjust the playmode update to fake the targeted fps. So while the final video is encoded in 30fps it took more than 1sec to process 30 frames (in your case it took 6sec to process 30 frames)

We know this is a big limitation but there's technically no easy solution for this right now.
    A workaround would be to manually update the video texture using another method than the VideoPlayer.

Thanks.

23. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Current recorder does not expose any API, but the next release will include the following:

- Pressing F10 will Start/Stop recording (Recorder Window should be opened though)

- Exposed basic API for the RecorderWindow :

Code (CSharp):
    1. var recorderWindow = EditorWindow.GetWindow<RecorderWindow>();
    2. recorderWindow.StartRecording();
    3. recorderWindow.IsRecording();
    4. recorderWindow.StopRecording();
    - Editor only API to create, setup, and start recordings from a MonoBehaviour. (not available for Runtime)

- Examples for how to use all of the above mentioned APIs.

Hope this will help!

MrWolf and ktmlleska_unity like this.
  24. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

We unfortunately have to wait a bit before making the new recorder an official package for internal process reasons. So instead of keeping this little bundle of awesomeness all for ourselves (would definitely not be cool) we decided to publish it on the asset store in the meantime for all to enjoy!

Unity Recorder v1.0 is live!
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/unity-recorder-94079

JBT27 likes this.
  25. Volodymyr_Melnychuk

Volodymyr_Melnychuk

Can i record video from android/iOS device in runtime with 1.0? Like when player presses the record button?

unity_foOHxHZu-DDkUA and cwlarce like this.
  26. ElliottMallard

ElliottMallard

I've noticed this too - not getting a WYSIWYG out of the editor is a bit a of a deal-breaker at the moment. I've also noticed that if you use "Sampling" as the collection method (in order to super-sample the capture) you can't see a preview of the recording, which makes spotting issues during the render impossible; has anybody found a way around that?

27. JBT27

JBT27

Superb - thanks very much.

28. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Not at the moment; the recorder works in the Editor in Play Mode only.

29. petey

petey

Hi there,
    I was reading in the features that this was able to record animations as FBX, I would love to be able to do that but I can't seem to get anything but .anim files. Just wondering, how do I change the format?

Thanks,
    Pete

30. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

My current workaround is recording Unity animations (Recorder can do that now) and then using the official FBX exporter on an object with those animations attached. Recorded animation is pretty rough, since it's just a sampling of object positions/orientations at a certain rate, but its usable for some purposes like animation reference.

chafik_unity likes this.
  31. petey

petey

32. codegasm

codegasm

Great to see a new release of the Recorder! Unfortunately we are still having the issue with super low bitrate (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/GenericFrameRecorder/issues/67). In it's current state even the "High" quality option is not useful for recording clips of pixel art games for example. So it's great to see progress, but at this point I can't use this anyway, do you have any idea when this issue will be resolved?

33. RecursiveRuby

RecursiveRuby

Hey,
    So I need to record a video with the resolution of 1080 x 1920 but when I try to use recorder to do this I'm getting these errors. Also note that I can record videos perfectly fine at lower resolutions but I can't seem to with this resolution.

Code (CSharp):
    1. WindowsVideoMedia error 0xc00d36b4 while reading C:\Users\MyUsername\Desktop\Folder\movie.mp4
    2. Context: IMFSinkWriter::SetInputMediaType
    3. Error details: The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.
    4. Track types:
    5. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Error in VideoMediaEncoder::Create create and setting attributes in C:\Users\MyUsername\Desktop\Folder\movie.mp4.
    2. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

34. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Barabicus
    Are you sure you don't have multiple recorders writing into the same output file?

35. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

@chafik_unity

As far as I understand, Recorder is moving to Unity Package Manager releases and would no longer be actively supported through GitHub. Where would be the best place to open issues and read release notes if that's the case?

36. RecursiveRuby

RecursiveRuby

Yeah pretty sure.This is what my recorder screen looks like. Just to be safe I deleted the movie recorder and re-added it just if something was bugged there.

Attached Files:

37. jexmatex

jexmatex

didn't have the time to try right now but did the Linear recording being fix ?

thanks by advance.

38. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for asking!
    Best way to report a bug related to the Recorder would be the editor builtin Bug Reporter and use the Issue Tracker website to track and vote for issues (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com)

39. allaze-eroler

allaze-eroler

it would be useful to add an option that will record the game with the exact same colors since it use pixel art and in a limited number of color, think of it like a nes game.

40. webjeff

webjeff

Hi,

This recorder is great! However, it stops when making a video around 70 frames or so in, the profiler just spikes at this line:
    m_Encoder.AddFrame(input.image);

I see some other reports of this in this thread, but no solution. Is there a solution for this?

I'm using the latest store version 1.0.1 w/ Unity 2018.2.1f1.

Any ideas on how I can get this working properly?

Thanks!

41. v1nc3nt_3d

v1nc3nt_3d

The linear color space issue when recording 360 is still not fixed.
    I'm using 2018.1.7f1 with the standard render pipeline, Post Processing v2, Timeline and Cinemachine.
    My project is almost done, but I can't offline render it out properly. VRPanorama Pro is the closest I've come, but there are issues with that asset as well.

42. ShizumaruRiya

ShizumaruRiya

The same issue of linear color space with 360 view capture.

So, I change some settings in Camera360Input.cs:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             m_Cubemap1 = new RenderTexture(settings360.mapSize, settings360.mapSize, 24, RenderTextureFormat.DefaultHDR, RenderTextureReadWrite.Linear)
    2.             {
    3.                 dimension = TextureDimension.Cube ,
    5.             };
    6.             m_Cubemap2 = new RenderTexture(settings360.mapSize, settings360.mapSize, 24, RenderTextureFormat.DefaultHDR, RenderTextureReadWrite.Linear)
    7.             {
    8.                 dimension = TextureDimension.Cube
    9.             };
    Then I got:

But this still darker than normal game view.
    So, I do a gamma correction in video editor:

Now the final result is almost equal normal game view. (The background is lighter)
    I hope Unity team could fix this issue as soon as possible.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  43. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

Unity Recorder is great! I am just missing input for custom aspect ratios.

44. Arycama

Arycama

I just tried this out. Seems to work fine for a couple of seconds of recording, then suddenly the framerate drops to ~1 fps. The profiler reports it is caused by VideoMediaEncoder.AddVideoFrame taking 1000 or so milliseconds.

Any suggestions?

upload_2018-8-17_16-8-47.png

45. JRW_WSP

JRW_WSP

Hello! When I tick capture UI I do not get the UI and everything is way to dark. Any ideas why this might be happening?

46. webjeff

webjeff

I have the same issue, still no response on how to fix :(

47. artyrambles

artyrambles

Hey, I have a really weird problem. When I try to record a scene, the physics start freaking out. The objects start shaking. When I play the scene normally, no shaking happens. Does anyone else have this problem, and how can I fix it?

Cheers

48. JRW_WSP

JRW_WSP

So just to add to my issue regarding capturing with UI - it would seem to be a gamma issue. If I capture when rendering in Linear space then I get the issue of the image being too dark, whereas if I am in Gamma space (which I don't want to be) then it captures the image fine.

49. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  50. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, custom resolutions and aspect ratios should be part of the next Recorder update.

cecarlsen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.