Search Unity

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Mickwa

Mickwa

Hello,

I downloaded recorder few days ago from Asset Store so I have version ver. 0.2. But is in 0027? I'm not sure, I can not find this information.
    Recording png doesn't solve problem.

If I take screenshot using RenderTexture I have good quality and size of image is about 9Mb. png captured with Unity Recorder has about 2,5Mb. Is there some compression?

2. ahardy

ahardy

Hello folks,

Will the capability to record videos in standalone build integrated in a future release, or do we need to develop behaviors that will extend the existing recorders ?

Cheers,

3. mihakinova

mihakinova

Is there a way to make the recorder editor-only? Say if you just want to use it for recording game in the editor, but not have it build with the game?

4. ahardy

ahardy

To my understanding, it's already editor only, is it not ?

5. jdial1981

jdial1981

Is the video recorder supposed to continue to capture video when the scene changes? I go to tools/video and then set up my selections. When I hit play the recorder starts and continues recording until I trigger an event that causes a scene change. At that point the recorder causes unity to exit play mode. Is this the intended behavior?

6. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi again Mickwa!

OK, let's dig deeper then. First of all, about the version, you should get the detailed version number by visiting Tools->Recorder->About. This would be good for us to know so can you please have a look?

However, since you're telling us you're also seeing banding when recording to png, then the problem may be elsewhere. One thing I should point out is that the scene is extremely dark. This means the dynamic range is very small and since the encoding goes to 8 bits per channel (or less for video), these artefacts may happen during the conversion to 8 bits.

But let's move to the next step: are you able to record to exr instead of png? Exr files will record to floating point (16 or 32 bits, depending on quality) so, if the problem really is with dynamic range, your resulting images will not be susceptible to banding. I'm seeing the image recorder do a readback from the render texture into a floating point texture, so this path should be clean.

The PNG storage I'm seeing in the code appears sane: RGB (or RGBA), 8 bits per channel. As for compression, PNG is lossless so this is not where the difference is. I suspect the screen capture method you use grabs 16-bit per channel PNG, which would explain the size difference quite well. Can you tell us what you use for screen grab?

This being said, the png you attached with your message has 8 bits per channel and clearly shows the artifact on the left side but not on the right, demonstrating that 8 bits is enough to properly represent the wanted content. So, while using exr _may_ unblock you in what you are doing, I would encourage you to submit a bug (along with the 2 original png screenshots to validate the above) so we can investigate this problem with a data set as close as possible to yours.

Thanks for your time!

Dominique

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

8. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Rowlan likes this.
  9. Tanika

Tanika

Can we record from standalone build itself instead of editor?

10. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    i've found some bug's...
    will sent a repro later... no time yet...
    1. If you playback a Video and record the Screen as Video... MP4
    the Video that is playing back has double speed as before... also Audio lags....

2. PNG recording doen't work for semi transparent Gui elements... they not transparent @ALL

3. if a UI element is not on Z = 0 then i get's not recorded...

4. the recorded UI is not as sharp as if i make a screenshot -> render texture... UI is little blurry

5. if recording UI with particles... the behaviour of the particles change while in record mode... not in playmode..!

more later when i find the time....
    Mac OS X 10.13.3 & Unity3d 2017.3.1p3
    PRO User since 1.8.0
    M.

11. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

how can i output an alpha background?

12. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

ok i can do alhpa with pngs but it doesnt render particles? has anyone got it to do that? limitation or Im missing a setting?

13. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

I'm also getting the problem where recording is fine for a few seconds and then slows to an absolute crawl. On a powerful PC with a basic test scene.

upload_2018-4-6_10-14-32.png

luispedrofonseca likes this.
  14. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I'm getting the exact same issue as the user above. The recorder works fine for the first few frames (60 or so) and then it slows down to a frame every several seconds. Any idea what's going on or how to circumvent it?

15. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

a frame every several seconds ...oh no what will you do

16. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Not missing a frame every few seconds, literally only rendering a frame every few seconds.

17. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@DominiqueLrx Can you please take a look at the issue reported above? Any hints? I'm approaching a deadline and I really need a workaround to get this done. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

18. username132323232

username132323232

Is it possible to make a recording from a 2D camera with transparent background? I played with Camera Clear Flags and Background settings, that didn't help. Thanks in advance!

19. username132323232

username132323232

What is the best format to save a video that will be later produced in After Effects or Primer Pro? Quality is the top priority and file size is not an issue. I'm guessing that one can't go wrong with PNG, but would prefer not to deal with 1000s of separate files.

20. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

mp4 all day in ae

21. ahardy

ahardy

From my experience with the recorder this happens when using some expensive encoding settings. Can you detail the settings you are using to encode your materials ?

22. InfiniteDesign8

InfiniteDesign8

but still...doing the job? so go get a bite to eat and come back

23. tianyi2018

tianyi2018

Help~~~

How can I add additional information to control the output layer of openEXR format?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  24. ahardy

ahardy

Recording one frame every few seconds is not what I call doing the job when you want to record a video :D

25. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@ahardy I worked around it by using the WebM encoder. That gave me almost realtime video encoding.

Arkade and Adam-Bailey like this.
  26. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Ahem:

27. sv955

sv955

I am facing color issue in 360 video recording.

Please see the screenshot attached.

Left image is 360 video recording using Recorder plugin.
    Right one is screen recording of same area using Screen collection method.

Unity version : Unity 2018.1.0b13 (64-bit).
    Recorder Package : Recorder.experimental.v0.2.0027.unitypackage

Attached Files:

28. tianyi2018

tianyi2018

29. mzpc

mzpc

With Everyplay discontinued will Unity be integrating similar functionality from Everyplay into this new asset? If not, what alternatives exist to easily share video and screenshots on various social platforms (Facebook, Youtube, etc.). Everyplay already had Android/iOS support with low overhead.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  30. unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA

unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA

i want to record an .mp4 video with specific resolution by specific camera tag or active camera via calling script ...
    so, is it possible and how?

31. unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA

unity_zOvEB4IgVxRirA

any helps??

32. meskew

meskew

I am loving the quality I'm getting from this plugin. I am wondering if there is a way that we can link it to Wwise for audio?

33. kkj_unity

kkj_unity

Hi. Do you have any idea when this feature will come yet?

34. MariusRu

MariusRu

Hello,

I am trying to connect data from 3D space to the jpg recordings. Specifically, I would like to predict from the angle of an object relative to the camera the coordinates it will have on the image.
    To visualize this problem, I placed several red balls in front of the recording camera (RedBallsOutside.jpg), all with the same distance to the camera and offsetted by 5 degrees. When I record an image with that camera, the circles of course don't appear in a grid-shape, but rather in a kind of fish-eye view (image60degrees.jpg). How can I predict where each ball will be located on the recorded image?

Best,
    Marius

Attached Files:

35. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

36. MariusRu

MariusRu

Yes, this seems to be right what I need! I didn't think it could be that easy :)

37. MariusRu

MariusRu

Thanks again for the great tool!
    I have two more (basic?) questions:

1. How can I record png images from two cameras simultaneously (preferably via script and not using the editor toolbar)?
    2. How expensive should recording be? My framerate drops from ~60fps to ~35fps when I record movies or images. Am I missing something?

Best,
    Marius

38. Kollektiff

Kollektiff

We are having similar issues. Characters get out of sync as time progresses. Strange thing is they are also getting out of sync with each other. Any ideas how to solve this?

39. kittu91

kittu91

i am using unity 2018.1 hd Render pipeline and post processing 2.0 ver and using recoder for 360 render. But i am unable to get 360 render. Actually i am getting problem with cube map any solutions?

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      803.2 KB
      Views:
  40. Flag74

Flag74

can I use this plugin to record webcams stream to mp4 for an application I'm developing?
    It's not clear and there are no api examples ..
    I need to record two webcams simultanely to 2 separate files
    @chafik_unity ?

41. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

@MariusRu, @Flag74
    We're currently working on having multiple recorders running simultaneously, this should be available in future releases.

Meanwhile, you can use multiple Recorder Track inside Timeline and setup each clip as a separate recorder in its own output file.

hope this helps!

Elliott-Mitchell likes this.
  42. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Do you have any repro steps for this or a small scene that reproduce the issue?

43. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi kittu91,
    I'm not sure to understand the problem, can you be more specific please?

Thanks

44. Gord10

Gord10

Is there a way to show the mouse cursor in the video? I'm quite happy with Recorder besides that.

45. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, software cursors should be recorded normally.
    Try using
    Cursor.SetCursor(<texture>, <hotspot>, CursorMode.ForceSoftware)

46. Parallax

Parallax

Loving this utility, but have a problem recording bullet time. I slowed time down and destructive physics looks great in game mode, but the video output remains in realtime. Is there a way to increase the frame rate of the capture to accurately render game mode?

47. Gord10

Gord10

Thank you!

(For people who still has the problem, Collection Method needs to be Game)

48. gokuartz

gokuartz

Is the Unity Recorder supported in SRP HD pipeline ?

49. manran

manran

I'm using Unity 2018.2.0b4 and i only get black frames when recording. Thanks

50. chafik_unity

chafik_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, I was not able to reproduce the issue on my side. can you share more details please?
    - What recorder are you using? with what settings?
    - How do you achieve the slow motion? (is it by playing with Time.timeScale?)

Thanks