Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

No, there is no other way apart from 1) Timeline Clips 2) Recorder Window 3) scripted Recorder (sounds like you didn't do that).

At this point I don't know what to recommend, especially if you can't reproduce it in a new project.

If you can upload your project somewhere, I can take a closer look. You can message me in private. Cheers

2. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Got it, thanks for your help!

3. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

No, unfortunately not yet. it could help if you could send us the project that you have that reproduces it.

Thanks,
    Jean

4. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Hello- I'm using Recorder to output png image sequences. If I want to speed up the export process should I be looking at my Cpu or Gpu? More RAM? Hard disk speed?

If you wanted to build a Recorder output speed machine what would that look like?

Also is there any way to change the jpeg compression level/quality when doing image sequence imports?

And when exporting png sequences using the game view it always exports with an alpha channel is there any way to disable the alpha channel?

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  5. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi!

I would say CPU and RAM would have more impact on speeding up the Recorder because that would help the encoding part. GPU won't make that much of a difference (except for rendering obviously). Hard disk speed is a good thing to improve but if you have SSD you should be good.
    I don't think you need a custom build for recording your output. Have you tried the new ProRes output? It might be faster than PNG and you can export an image sequence from an MOV file using ffmpeg easily. If you are doing video editing, ProRes is the way to go.

No there is no way to change the JPEG compression.

For the alpha channel there is a known issue of transparency appearing in legacy render pipeline mode for GameView cameras with a transparent background. The fix we are working on is to make the alpha channel fully opaque. Scripted render pipelines don't have this issue.
    We haven't planned to completely remove the alpha channel from the PNG export because the same code base is used to include transparency when it is supported & expected.
    I know it's not optimal but if you have access to a bash terminal, you can use https://stackoverflow.com/questions...t-replace-all-intermediate-alpha-pixel-with-s to strip the alpha completely.

6. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@newguy123 Sorry no we were not able to reproduce it yet. Could you provide a zip of your project that could help us repro the issue.

Regards,
    Jean

7. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Answered all my questions, thank you.

8. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

So I just imported the Recorder 2.3 version and I get numerous errors. I am using 2019.4.9f with URP 7.3.1. Says something wrong with FcAPI.

I also tried adding the AOV and that didn't fix anything. Not sure why I thought it would fix it, but it didn't. upload_2020-10-20_19-0-37.png

9. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Can you try to reimport your dependencies? Go to the Project tab, right click somewhere and select Reimport all. It usually gets rid of such errors.

10. OdyseeGames

OdyseeGames

Thanks for getting back! Reimport All did solve my problem. Thanks! I will say, I was a big nervous with reimporting it, wasn't sure how long it would take.

unitybru likes this.
  11. yuma1217_ja

yuma1217_ja

Hi, I'm on Unity 2019.3.0f6 and UnityRecorder 2.3.0 preview3.
    This package is awsome.

But, I could not capture 360 view.
    My setting is here.
    Actually, it was fine up to about 2000 frames.
    After that, the memory exceeds 98% and unity crashes....

Anyone please help.
    upload_2020-10-22_15-6-44.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  12. yuma1217_ja

yuma1217_ja

and maybe I found this problem.

change playback -> Variable, and change render frame step. (for example 5?)
    after that, change playback -> constant

So, and when I recorded it, frame change was still at 5.

I think when changing Constant back, this setting should be rest.

13. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

I managed to record 3000+ frames with no memory issues (stays constant). How do your computer specs compare to mine?
    upload_2020-10-22_10-27-6.png

A colleague of mine is looking into this, thanks for reporting it!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  14. yuma1217_ja

yuma1217_ja

@unitybru Thank you for reply!!

> I managed to record 3000+ frames with no memory issues (stays constant). How do your computer specs compare to mine?

Actually, Upon further investigation, my camera settings is bad.
    After creating new unity project, issue doesn't reproduce.
    So, I tried to investigate.

unitybru likes this.
  15. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    We just publish a new version of the Unity Recorder, version 2.4.0-preview-1
    This version adds a new feature in the animation recorder. We added the ability to record MonoBehaviour animated fields. This release also contains many bug fixes.
    Here is the full Changelog:
    ## [2.4.0-preview.1] - 2020-10-21
    ### Features
    - Added MonoBehaviour recording support in the Animation Recorder.
    ### Bugfixes
    - Fixed a bug where the animation recorder settings game object bindings were not saved properly when saving as a recorder preset.
    - Reset the window without having to close it when a version upgrade happens while the Recorder Window is open.
    - Fixed a bug where switching from an absolute path to any other path type would create an invalid output path.
    - Log a warning when multiple concurrent Movie Recorder instances are concurrent, because this is not supported.
    - Fixed a visual glitch with the "Cap FPS" checkbox extending outside its GUI element.
    - Forced the "Render Frame Step" values in Recorders to be larger than zero.
    - Fixed a bug causing excessive Timeline updates while changing the output file.
    - Remove superfluous "CaptureAudio" option from the AudioRecorder.
    - Fixed a bug that caused Copy/Pasted RecorderClips to lose the settings when entering in playmode.
    - Fixed a visual glitch with very long paths when inspecting RecorderClips.
    - Fixed a bug where in a Scriptable Render Pipeline, the GameView recordings would export transparency for PNG files if the camera background had transparency.
    - Fixed a crash issue when starting and stopping a GIF animation recording while the Play Mode is paused.
    - Fixed an issue where multiple recorders with various camera targets would produce flipped content.

16. veddycent

veddycent

is there anything on the road map to increase max resolution? ideally a max resolution of 16,384 would be great!

newguy123 likes this.
  17. Tortuap

Tortuap

Hi @jean_unity_film_tv could you make AudioInput public in a next release please ?

I have a custom Audio Recorder that rely on this to get audio data (just like the AudioRecorder is implemented).
    All its members of AudioInput are public already, but the class itself isn't.

I have to patch the package by hand, and have to do that each time Unity opens the project and update the package.

18. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi @veddycent, not currently on the roadmap but your request is logged.
    Thanks,

Jean

unitybru likes this.
  19. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@Tortuap I logged a request for this update of our public api.
    Thanks,

Jean

unitybru likes this.
  20. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

Using Unity 2020.1.7f1 and recorder 2.4.0 with HDRP and trying to record 360 video frame by frame. Is that supposed to work? As I'm getting very strange results. I upgraded from 2019.4.13f1 with standard renderer which was working fine. In the new recordings the 6 views don't align any more and materials have gone transparent. The scene and camera views look ok but the recording is useless.

[edit]
    It would seem that de-selecting the "link FOV to physical camera" option in the camera component fixes this issue and the recording results are as expected. Does that make sens to anyone?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    AngryMuppet likes this.
  21. jGate99

jGate99

@jean_unity_film_tv
    Hi
    How do i record for 1109x2223 size ? as height seems to be unsupported?
    Thanks w.png

22. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

That seems to be a mp4 format limitation. I believe maximum resolution for mp4 is 2K by 2K. Try switching to WEBM as output format that will allow larger resolutions. I successfully recorded 4K by 4K using WEBM.

unitybru and jGate99 like this.
  23. jGate99

jGate99

Thank you very much :D

24. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Indeed, there are MP4 format limitations: the image height & widths cannot be odd values (and it's also better in terms of performance for the dimensions to be powers of 2). If you try to set an odd value, the recording of MP4 will fail.

Note that the vertical resolution limit is not strictly enforced: you can still go ahead and encode your video.

The reason for the maximum resolution in the MP4 (actually, H.264) standard is that there are guidelines of "encoding levels" that encoders are encouraged to respect to limit the bandwidth of the generated files. The objective here is that hardware decoders (e.g. your smartphone, smart TV, PS4) don't get fed videos with unreasonable bandwidth. The power of 2 guideline is also related to the hardware architecture of the decoder chips. Nothing prevents you from creating weird resolutions (as long as the dimensions are odd), but they _might_ not play smoothly on (older) devices.

MP4 (H.264) is widely supported (works on every phone in the world + many TVs + all computers on dedicated hardware) and is kinda old (H.265 is more next gen), which explains some of those limitations.

jGate99 likes this.
  25. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,
    How can i trigger recording (which we usually do by pressing start recording button) from an editor script?
    Thanks

26. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

27. oxysofts

oxysofts

Any news on MP4 encoding for Linux? The webm encoder is unfortunately unusably slow for recording game footage requiring user interaction, with FPS tanking to 1-2. (I would find the patience, if it weren't for the fact that inputs do not accumulate between frames! That alone takes the difficulty from nightmare to sadistic)

28. bod

bod

I am using the Unity Recorder to create animated sequences in 360° 3D that I can edit with live action 360° 3D video. It works great with one exception. The trick to editing them is all the files must have the same aspect ratio and frame size. The Unity Recorder only has frame sizes that are multiples of 2. Is there anyway I can match the frame size to that of the video camera (3840px)? 2048px is too low an image quality and 4096 is too large a file. I'm using an Oculus Quest for viewing.

29. YOSHIDA-Shinya

YOSHIDA-Shinya

Hi, I could not make ProRes output work. Unity editor just crashes just after I start a recording.
    Is there anything required to make that work?
    I am working with
    - Unity Recorder 2.4.0-preview.1
    - Unity 2020.1.10f1
    - macOS 10.15.7
    - MBP 15inch 2017

30. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

You can choose whatever frame size you want in Unity Recorder, it doesn't need to be powers of 2 (although that is usually a good idea for video players). If you choose dimensions that are not supported (such as odd frame dimensions with MP4), you will get warnings/errors to inform you.

31. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

This should work, there is nothing extra needed for ProRes (our code already looks for operating system compatibility of codec formats). By your username I am guessing that you might be in Japan. Are you using only ASCII characters in the output file/folder name? We have not tested support for all languages.

32. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

It's on our radar, but I can't give you an estimate of when it will be available.

33. nbac

nbac

unity 2019.2.14f1 legacy pipeline latest PPStack artefacts when using recorder + depth of field. in gameview it looks good - recorded image like attached. screen with dof without dof image_0053.png image_0054.png

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  34. nbac

nbac

tested all versions removing and installing. latest makes it even worth. but i have a fix. its stupid. if i start recording and instantly enable the dof when already recording it works. no matter what pipeline, nothing works just out of the box in unity...

and just in case someone is interested.

even unchecked dof gets rendered in the alpha channel ... that is the problem

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  35. YOSHIDA-Shinya

YOSHIDA-Shinya

Ah, good point. Now I make sure ProRes render works. I am not sure what folder I tried to render when I got the problem but ASCII characters might be included in the destination.
    Thanks!

unitybru likes this.
  36. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hello!

we just published a new version of the Unity Recorder, version 2.5.2. Note that there is no version 2.5.1 because of an internal error at the time of preparing the release - so don't look for it.

This release contains several bug fixes.
    Quite importantly, the Recorder is not a preview package anymore, meaning that you can find it in the Package Manager without having to enable preview packages.

## [2.5.2] - 2020-12-16
    ### Fixed
    - Fixed an issue where changing the active camera would be recorded one frame too late.
    - Fixed an exception that would occur when undoing a Timeline Recorder Clip copy-paste action while the Inspector is active.
    - Made the Animation Clip Recorder respect the Start Frame/Time setting instead of always recording from the first frame.
    - Fixed Game View recording to get the expected rendering resolution, regardless of the current Game View dimensions.
    - Fixed missing descriptions in Scripting API documentation.

We would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your closed ones a very happy and safe holiday season, and hope that 2021 brings you closer to achieving your Unity-powered professional and artistic dreams.

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I've been using this for quite a while and it is very impressive how clean my screenshots and videos are from the engine... but I am running into an issue where I am trying to render out in 4k and when I enable my infinite mesh (which is normally used for things like showcase renders) I get this nasty artefact where some of the scene is cut off in the game view.
    upload_2020-12-28_19-29-45.png upload_2020-12-28_19-34-11.png

It goes away however when I disable the mesh. My guess is, my current GPU (a GTX 670M in a laptop) is probably not going to support the resolution for the view (but it should render it at high quality). Other than that, I love this nifty little tool, and I will start learning how to use Timeline with it.

upload_2020-12-28_19-34-35.png

38. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Do you have exact reproduction steps for the issue, or a sample project for us? Thank you

39. Mindtoast451

Mindtoast451

Hi. I'm using recorder to render 360 image sequences with HDRP. I've found that rendering images with alpha is not supported currently. It would really be helpful to be able render alpha channels since there are probably many folks who need to do compositing in post. It seems rendering a green screen background is the only way to work around this issue for me right now. It works well enough.. but having a nice clean alpha channel would be really great. I'm rendering for an 8k system and compositing artifacts can get noticeable

40. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

HDRP transparency capture is not yet supported so you will have to rely on your green screen workaround for now.
    We are aware of this issue and have started exploring it; I can't give you an estimate for a fix but please know that we are working towards supporting this.

41. DDAAACCC

DDAAACCC

I'm thinking of saving the action with a recorder and then playing it back to create a camera replay function.
    I don't know if this is a good method for performance. Would I rather make a separate replay itself?

42. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Unity Recorder works only in the Editor, so you can't use it to build an "instant replay" feature like FIFA has because Recorder is not available in-game.

43. Guillaume_L

Guillaume_L

hey everyone ,

trying to get 360 Stereoscopic from Recorder and HDRP but it doesnt output well:
    Game View recorder is fine , but 360 gets lots of weird things going on :

Game View :

edit:
    Walking in the scene gets ultra slow with 360 output .
    Outputing both Game and 360 together messed the Game Recorder too..2
    same problem in 2020.2.2 with just a Sky procedural.

Unity 2020.2.1
    Recorder 2.5.2

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Bump

45. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hello this is not a Recorder issue, you should post it in another part of this forum. Cheers

46. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Hi,
    Just wanting to show my support for the development of Unity Recorder. It is awesome & I love to use it.

One note tho: it was mentioned several times already, but I want to also participate in this. It would be awesome if UnityRecorder would be able to record the audio handled by the WWISE as well. Cheers!

GameEver, unitybru and Guillaume_L like this.
  47. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the love!

We are aware of the limitation of not being able to record Wwise/FMOD audio but supporting it would require some kind of partnership with Audiokinetic/FMOD: currently, these sound engines send the audio output directly to the sound card, and we would require them to share the final mix with Unity for recording as well. There doesn't seem to be a large enough push from our users to pursue this in the near future, and there are workarounds to achieving this: you can record to an audio file directly in Wwise and I'm pretty sure you could trigger a Unity event to signal to Wwise to start that recording. Combining your video track and audio track into a single final file can be done easily with ffmpeg.

Maybe using a virtual sound card (in software) to route the Wwise output back to a "sound input" in your Unity project would allow you to record that final output directly in Unity, very likely with some delay.

GameEver and nehvaleem like this.
  48. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Greetings everyone,

we just published a new version of the Unity Recorder, version 2.5.4. Note that there is no version 2.5.3 because of an internal error at the time of preparing the release - so don't look for it. We've improved our process to avoid this in the future.

This release contains a few bug fixes.

[2.5.4] - 2021-01-25
    Fixed
    • Correctly update the absolute path when choosing a path with the folder picker in the Recorder Window.
    • Removed a console error message displayed when the Recorder cannot find a custom Recorder icon.
    • Fixed an exception that would occur when Recording with Unity 2021.2.
    • Fixed a rounding error in the delta time when recording with non-integer frame rates.

newguy123 likes this.
  49. newguy123

newguy123

Does the recorder work with HDRP, DXR and Pathtracing? In my tests, it outputs the frames before the pathtracing had a chance to resolve the image. Is there a way to set it?

If I don't use pathtracing, but enable all othe3r raytracing features in a global volume, the 1st few frames are useless as it seems it tries to resolve things, but only manages to do so after 7 or 8 frames or so.

Guillaume_L likes this.
  50. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

Short Question,

will Update 2.5+ be available for Unity 2018.4.4 in near future? Or is 2.4 the last version for Unity2018?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.