Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Pretty sure not; I'm not using Timelines in this project, and haven't scripted any recording triggers. Is there any other way to start a recording that I should look for?

2. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

No, there is no other way apart from 1) Timeline Clips 2) Recorder Window 3) scripted Recorder (sounds like you didn't do that).

At this point I don't know what to recommend, especially if you can't reproduce it in a new project.

If you can upload your project somewhere, I can take a closer look. You can message me in private. Cheers

3. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Got it, thanks for your help!

4. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

No, unfortunately not yet. it could help if you could send us the project that you have that reproduces it.

Thanks,
    Jean

5. mdotstrange

mdotstrange

Hello- I'm using Recorder to output png image sequences. If I want to speed up the export process should I be looking at my Cpu or Gpu? More RAM? Hard disk speed?

If you wanted to build a Recorder output speed machine what would that look like?

Also is there any way to change the jpeg compression level/quality when doing image sequence imports?

And when exporting png sequences using the game view it always exports with an alpha channel is there any way to disable the alpha channel?

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  6. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi!

I would say CPU and RAM would have more impact on speeding up the Recorder because that would help the encoding part. GPU won't make that much of a difference (except for rendering obviously). Hard disk speed is a good thing to improve but if you have SSD you should be good.
    I don't think you need a custom build for recording your output. Have you tried the new ProRes output? It might be faster than PNG and you can export an image sequence from an MOV file using ffmpeg easily. If you are doing video editing, ProRes is the way to go.

No there is no way to change the JPEG compression.

For the alpha channel there is a known issue of transparency appearing in legacy render pipeline mode for GameView cameras with a transparent background. The fix we are working on is to make the alpha channel fully opaque. Scripted render pipelines don't have this issue.
    We haven't planned to completely remove the alpha channel from the PNG export because the same code base is used to include transparency when it is supported & expected.
    I know it's not optimal but if you have access to a bash terminal, you can use https://stackoverflow.com/questions...t-replace-all-intermediate-alpha-pixel-with-s to strip the alpha completely.

7. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@newguy123 Sorry no we were not able to reproduce it yet. Could you provide a zip of your project that could help us repro the issue.

Regards,
    Jean

8. mdotstrange

mdotstrange

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Answered all my questions, thank you.

9. jgthompson90

jgthompson90

So I just imported the Recorder 2.3 version and I get numerous errors. I am using 2019.4.9f with URP 7.3.1. Says something wrong with FcAPI.

I also tried adding the AOV and that didn't fix anything. Not sure why I thought it would fix it, but it didn't. upload_2020-10-20_19-0-37.png

10. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Can you try to reimport your dependencies? Go to the Project tab, right click somewhere and select Reimport all. It usually gets rid of such errors.

11. jgthompson90

jgthompson90

Thanks for getting back! Reimport All did solve my problem. Thanks! I will say, I was a big nervous with reimporting it, wasn't sure how long it would take.

unitybru likes this.
  12. bigyuma1217

bigyuma1217

Hi, I'm on Unity 2019.3.0f6 and UnityRecorder 2.3.0 preview3.
    This package is awsome.

But, I could not capture 360 view.
    My setting is here.
    Actually, it was fine up to about 2000 frames.
    After that, the memory exceeds 98% and unity crashes....

Anyone please help.
    upload_2020-10-22_15-6-44.png

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  13. bigyuma1217

bigyuma1217

and maybe I found this problem.

change playback -> Variable, and change render frame step. (for example 5?)
    after that, change playback -> constant

So, and when I recorded it, frame change was still at 5.

I think when changing Constant back, this setting should be rest.

14. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

I managed to record 3000+ frames with no memory issues (stays constant). How do your computer specs compare to mine?
    upload_2020-10-22_10-27-6.png

A colleague of mine is looking into this, thanks for reporting it!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  15. bigyuma1217

bigyuma1217

@unitybru Thank you for reply!!

> I managed to record 3000+ frames with no memory issues (stays constant). How do your computer specs compare to mine?

Actually, Upon further investigation, my camera settings is bad.
    After creating new unity project, issue doesn't reproduce.
    So, I tried to investigate.

unitybru likes this.
  16. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    We just publish a new version of the Unity Recorder, version 2.4.0-preview-1
    This version adds a new feature in the animation recorder. We added the ability to record MonoBehaviour animated fields. This release also contains many bug fixes.
    Here is the full Changelog:
    ## [2.4.0-preview.1] - 2020-10-21
    ### Features
    - Added MonoBehaviour recording support in the Animation Recorder.
    ### Bugfixes
    - Fixed a bug where the animation recorder settings game object bindings were not saved properly when saving as a recorder preset.
    - Reset the window without having to close it when a version upgrade happens while the Recorder Window is open.
    - Fixed a bug where switching from an absolute path to any other path type would create an invalid output path.
    - Log a warning when multiple concurrent Movie Recorder instances are concurrent, because this is not supported.
    - Fixed a visual glitch with the "Cap FPS" checkbox extending outside its GUI element.
    - Forced the "Render Frame Step" values in Recorders to be larger than zero.
    - Fixed a bug causing excessive Timeline updates while changing the output file.
    - Remove superfluous "CaptureAudio" option from the AudioRecorder.
    - Fixed a bug that caused Copy/Pasted RecorderClips to lose the settings when entering in playmode.
    - Fixed a visual glitch with very long paths when inspecting RecorderClips.
    - Fixed a bug where in a Scriptable Render Pipeline, the GameView recordings would export transparency for PNG files if the camera background had transparency.
    - Fixed a crash issue when starting and stopping a GIF animation recording while the Play Mode is paused.
    - Fixed an issue where multiple recorders with various camera targets would produce flipped content.

17. veddycent

veddycent

is there anything on the road map to increase max resolution? ideally a max resolution of 16,384 would be great!

newguy123 likes this.
  18. Tortuap

Tortuap

Hi @jean_unity_film_tv could you make AudioInput public in a next release please ?

I have a custom Audio Recorder that rely on this to get audio data (just like the AudioRecorder is implemented).
    All its members of AudioInput are public already, but the class itself isn't.

I have to patch the package by hand, and have to do that each time Unity opens the project and update the package.

19. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi @veddycent, not currently on the roadmap but your request is logged.
    Thanks,

Jean

unitybru likes this.
  20. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@Tortuap I logged a request for this update of our public api.
    Thanks,

Jean

unitybru likes this.
  21. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

Using Unity 2020.1.7f1 and recorder 2.4.0 with HDRP and trying to record 360 video frame by frame. Is that supposed to work? As I'm getting very strange results. I upgraded from 2019.4.13f1 with standard renderer which was working fine. In the new recordings the 6 views don't align any more and materials have gone transparent. The scene and camera views look ok but the recording is useless.

[edit]
    It would seem that de-selecting the "link FOV to physical camera" option in the camera component fixes this issue and the recording results are as expected. Does that make sens to anyone?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    AngryMuppet likes this.
  22. jGate99

jGate99

@jean_unity_film_tv
    Hi
    How do i record for 1109x2223 size ? as height seems to be unsupported?
    Thanks w.png

23. Mr_Jigs

Mr_Jigs

That seems to be a mp4 format limitation. I believe maximum resolution for mp4 is 2K by 2K. Try switching to WEBM as output format that will allow larger resolutions. I successfully recorded 4K by 4K using WEBM.

unitybru and jGate99 like this.
  24. jGate99

jGate99

Thank you very much :D

25. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Indeed, there are MP4 format limitations: the image height & widths cannot be odd values (and it's also better in terms of performance for the dimensions to be powers of 2). If you try to set an odd value, the recording of MP4 will fail.

Note that the vertical resolution limit is not strictly enforced: you can still go ahead and encode your video.

The reason for the maximum resolution in the MP4 (actually, H.264) standard is that there are guidelines of "encoding levels" that encoders are encouraged to respect to limit the bandwidth of the generated files. The objective here is that hardware decoders (e.g. your smartphone, smart TV, PS4) don't get fed videos with unreasonable bandwidth. The power of 2 guideline is also related to the hardware architecture of the decoder chips. Nothing prevents you from creating weird resolutions (as long as the dimensions are odd), but they _might_ not play smoothly on (older) devices.

MP4 (H.264) is widely supported (works on every phone in the world + many TVs + all computers on dedicated hardware) and is kinda old (H.265 is more next gen), which explains some of those limitations.

jGate99 likes this.
  26. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,
    How can i trigger recording (which we usually do by pressing start recording button) from an editor script?
    Thanks

27. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

28. oxysofts

oxysofts

Any news on MP4 encoding for Linux? The webm encoder is unfortunately unusably slow for recording game footage requiring user interaction, with FPS tanking to 1-2. (I would find the patience, if it weren't for the fact that inputs do not accumulate between frames! That alone takes the difficulty from nightmare to sadistic)

29. bod

bod

I am using the Unity Recorder to create animated sequences in 360° 3D that I can edit with live action 360° 3D video. It works great with one exception. The trick to editing them is all the files must have the same aspect ratio and frame size. The Unity Recorder only has frame sizes that are multiples of 2. Is there anyway I can match the frame size to that of the video camera (3840px)? 2048px is too low an image quality and 4096 is too large a file. I'm using an Oculus Quest for viewing.

unityunity