Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Unity Recorder update

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ans_unity, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fengkan

fengkan

Is there any recorder like the AOV recorder package which can output variant image sequences in HDRP, but in a standalone build?

2. PlanarBit

PlanarBit

Having the same issue as @ShervinM. Unable to start recording in the middle of Play mode.
    So essentially - recording HAS TO START at the beginning.

SCENARIO 1:
    • enter play mode (Ctrl+P)
    • navigate the place in game where I need to start recording
    • hit F10
    • recording doesn't start

SCENARIO 2:
    • enter play mode with recorder (hit F10)
    • stop recording (at this point recording is successfully created)
    • navigate the place in game where I need to start recording
    • hit F10
    • recording doesn't start
    Recorder options:
    • Exit Playmode - false
    • Record mode - Manual
    Unity 2019.3.7f1
    Unity Recorder 2.2.0 preview.4

ShervinM likes this.
  3. andcuriouser

andcuriouser

Same issue, v2.2.0p4 on 2018.4.16f1. Had to downgrade the package back to 2.1.0p1, which still works as expected.

4. netpost

netpost

Hi,

Congratulations! The Unity recorder is getting better and better!

Is there a way to use the unity recorder to record the transform of game objects that are only activated or spawn at runtime?

I know it works if the game object be generated have an empty container in the scene but this is not the case all the time.

I tried to pause unity in runtime then select the generated container and drag it from the scene to the game object
    field in the unity recorder window but this doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for your help!

5. netpost

netpost

Perhaps my question was not clear.. :)

Is there a way to use the unity recorder to record the transform of a runtime GameObject? Since the game Object isn't available in the scene view I can not drag it into the gameobject slot of the recorder window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be so useful!

6. Gord10

Gord10

I posted that in 2018. They changed the UI since then, there isn't a "Collection Method" now.

7. veddycent

veddycent

Hey,

Is it possible to render a 360 image larger than 8192px, say 16384px without unity crashing?
    There isn't enough detail at 8192px when the image is used on a photosphere.

Thanks

EDIT: mention the crashing

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  8. Mathieu

Mathieu

Is there anyone else having issue with Recorder eating all the memory available without releasing it ever?

I'm using Recorder Version 2.2.0-preview.4 on Unity 2020.1.0b8.
    The recording is done by script.
    I have to quit Unity for Recorder to release the memory used by previous recordings.

9. Antti-Hamara-Sulake

Antti-Hamara-Sulake

Having the same issue with @tomekkie2, @ShervinM, @PlanarBit, and @andcuriouser
    It just says "Waiting for play mode to start" when trying to record in the middle of the game in playmode.
    I am using unity 219.2.21.f1 and Recorder preview.4-2.2.0

After downgrading to preview.1-2.1.0 recording in the middle of the game works again.

10. UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

UDN_5c806b49-d8a0-4f67-a296-c12c91aa7396

So this bad boy is completely broken. Not useable unless you're using preview.1-2.1.0

11. JauntyBearGames

JauntyBearGames

I'm on unity 2019.3.14f and also have Waiting for play mode to start" when trying to record in the middle of the game in playmode.

12. dpotuznik

dpotuznik

Hi,

i try to instal recorder, but i have this error message and i don't see the 2.2 preview 4 anymore.

i am using unity 2019.3.5f1
    Thank you for your help.
    Best Regards
    Daniel

recorder.JPG

13. MattForeman-PixelFarm

MattForeman-PixelFarm

This can be fixed by downgrading Unity Recorder to 2.1.0. They haven't fixed this bug yet.

14. MattForeman-PixelFarm

MattForeman-PixelFarm

I'm having very strange issues properly capturing 360 stereoscopic 3D images. The stereo separation seems to be correct at the default (.065). However there are two major bugs/issues that are visible in this 360 3D image generated by Unity Recorder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n812rnggh2lrluy/Image012_360_TB.png?dl=0

1. Some textures don't appear correctly for each eye. If you look at the road and the small details on the sidewalk, it's like the UVs are somehow offset in the wrong direction or something.

2. The car body mesh is in the exact same position for both eyes, making it appear weird (having no depth).

These issues can be observed by copying the provided image to the "Pictures" folder on your Oculus Quest, opening the image in the Oculus Gallery, setting the image to 360 3D, closing your left eye, then clicking the trigger to open and close the menu which also toggles between 2D and 3D mode. When you close your left eye and toggle the trigger, you can easily observe the difference between the left and right eye images.

Could someone please explain why this is happening? Unity Recorder is unusable for 3D images, currently.

15. MattForeman-PixelFarm

MattForeman-PixelFarm

@cguertin @jean_unity_film_tv @Matjio @marief_unity

Any thoughts on why this issue is happening? Just want to ping some of the Unity staff who've been in this thread previously, in hopes of an answer. Also, any update you could give us on the progress of Unity Recorder currently?

16. xrbedard

xrbedard

Was the Recorder removed in 2019.4.0f1? Or when will it be available? For now, I am using version 2.2 preview.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  17. wdw8903

wdw8903

Hi, I think I find a bug. I'm using 2.2 version.
    When record animation clip in Recorder Window, the start setting of frame/time interval mode won't work, the generated animation clip always record from 0 frame. But the RecorderClip in timeline works correctly.

18. falkenbrew

falkenbrew

I just want to replicate the behavior of mediaencoder that is editor only. I can't even find unity recorder in the asset store or in the package manager, is this limited to some beta version of unity?
    edit: found it, I guess it's only an editor thing though too and won't solve my problem

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  19. Foreman_Dev

Foreman_Dev

20. newguy123

newguy123

Does feel like it doesnt it? Almost 3 months and no reply from Unity guys...

Little disheartening, seeing that I only started using it today for the 1st time and having an issue with 360 image sequence. Worth asking my question then here even???

Using 2020.2, HDRP 9 preview 33, Recorder 2.2.0 preview4:
    Capturing Game View, works nice and fast and I get the expected results, what I see in viewport.
    But, when capturing 360, most of my model seems to have some weird negative colour invert thing going on, displaying mostly black

21. netpost

netpost

@ans_unity

I asked a questions more than 2 months ago and I am still waiting for an answer. Thank you for your help :)

Is there a way to use the unity recorder to record the transform of game objects spawned at runtime ? The multiple objects (cars or spaceships for example) are spawned in a single game object container. Because the container game object isn't available in the scene view before hitting play, it is not possible to drag it into the gameobject slot of the recorder window. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This would be so useful!

22. _slash_

_slash_

The meaning of this warning is very unclear... My TL is at 60, the recorder clip also but this warning popup.

Can you briefly explain what Framerate it refers to and what can be done about it?

23. ysshetty96

ysshetty96

Yes, I have this same issue, I'm tweaking time scale to make a slow-motion effect but it works great in-game, while in unity recorder output it looks stuck for some time.

24. benxtan0

benxtan0

UPDATE 3: Its fixed!!! I contacted Unity support and sent them a test project.
    The underlying issue is connected to this bug: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/asyncgpureadback-can-leak-memory-under-certain-circumstances
    The issue is already fixed in 2019.4.8f1, 2020.1.2f1, 2020.2.0a20 and later Unity versions.

I've just tested it myself in 2020.1.2f1 and the RAM usages hardly even goes up when I record in 4K, 60fps. Nice work Unity! Super quick turnaround.

UPDATE 2: @Mathieu I think I have the same issue as you. When Unity crashes, my memory is at 100% usage also. I think that is what is causing my other background apps to crash at the same time as well.

UPDATE 1:
    Huge relief. Turns out its not the new eGPU that is at fault!
    I reverted my project back to an older version and used Unity 2019.4.6.f1 and I can export in 4K 60 fps again!

Original Post:
    I recently got an eGPU for my laptop and when I try to use Unity Recorder, it crashes around 70% or 80% of the way through. Sometimes it will hang saying busy (see screenshot), and sometimes it will crash and take down a bunch of other apps with it and I have to close and restart explorer.exe.

If I don't plug in the eGPU there's no problem.

Anyone else have this issue?

Setup:
    • Windows 10
    • Razer Core X Chroma
    • ASUS Turbo RTX 2080 Ti
    • Unity 2020.1.0f1
    • Unity Recorder 2.2.0 - I tried all the other previous versions also
    • 4K - 3840 x 2160
    • 60 fps
    • Constant
    • 31 seconds of footage
    • MP4
    If I reduce the resolution to 2K - 2560 x 1440 and frame rate to 30 fps, then it works!

Currently considering returning the graphics card and downgrading to a 2080 Super instead, but not sure if this will fix the issue. 2080 Ti is overpowered for my CPU anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  25. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Hey @ans_unity !

Unity Recorder have conflicts with Volumetric Light and Transparent/Alpha clipping materials in Unity 2020.1 and 2020.2a19 with HDRP 9.x preview 35 and Unity Recorder version 2.2.0 preview 4
    While rendering image sequencing, it generate artifcats in PNG recored.
    JPG recording fine, but JPG not acceptable for production. JPG.jpg
    JPG
    PNG.png
    PNG

26. Mathieu

Mathieu

You're right, we had to wait a fairly amount of time to get this fix in 2020.1 but it's now working. Thanks to everyone involved.

It's disheartening to see this project without more updates as it seems vital to easily produce game trailers and ads.
    I would love to see some improvement in MP4 quality we can output with this plugin, right now there's no option and the image quality is way too bad for proper use.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  27. nbac

nbac

i try to generate some 360° stereo image sequences from hdrp scene.
    taa is not working right? supersampling ist not available in reorder anymore? i do get seams at cubemap edges (from postprocessing?)

28. jeffweber

jeffweber

When I use Unity Recorder to record game play, the video comes out flipped both horizontally and vertically. It's like looking at an image in a mirror and upside down.

Anyone else have this issue and/or a fix?

This is on Windows 10

Here are my settings
    Capture.PNG

29. newguy123

newguy123

I'm getting a bunch of these after adding and setting up a recorder 2.2.0 preview4, in Unity 2020.2.a21.......

upload_2020-9-4_15-57-38.png

Also, I'm busy with the Unity Learn Course "Real-time Animated Storytelling", and getting weirdness with the timelime dayllies recording vs the regular playing in timeline. I have a character walking around a corner in the timeline, however when playing in Editor to record the movie, that character is offset and not in same position as playing the animation in timeline:

Character position in timeline:

upload_2020-9-4_16-1-41.png

Same character position in the recorder movie: (he shifted into the car!)

upload_2020-9-4_16-3-21.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  30. nbac

nbac

Hi i do use the recorder to capture a 360 stereo image sequence. i do use hdrp. it is doing its job but the complete left side of the cubemap looks very different from the rest. volumetrics and posteffects are present in both so i dont understand where the difference is coming from. image_0140.jpg

747423517 likes this.
  31. newguy123

newguy123

@jean_unity_film_tv can we get some answers to our questions please?

Or at least a status update?

Foreman_Dev and jeffweber like this.
  32. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi Everyone,

We just publish a new version of the Unity Recorder, version 2.3.0-preview-3!
    This version contains many new features: First it contains the integration of the Apple ProRes codec for both Windows and macOS.
    The approved version of the Apple ProRes codec is available in the movie recorder (MOV container).

Tip: To Playback Quicktime ProRes movies and image file sequences on Windows, use DJV viewer or VLC.
    For more information on Apple ProRes:
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202410

We added a new feature that allows you to select the keyframe reduction option in the Animation Recorder. The ClampedAuto option gives you the ability to compress the animated curve while keeping more faithfully the original animation tangents. It is also possible to disable the keyframe reduction algorithm if you want to bake your recorded animation curves.
    We also improved the recorder UX, added tooltips and fixed many bugs.

Here is the full changelog:
    # Changelog
    All notable changes to this package will be documented in this file.
    The format is based on [Keep a Changelog](http://keepachangelog.com/en/1.0.0/)
    and this project adheres to [Semantic Versioning](http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html).
    ## [2.3.0-preview.3] - 2020-09-25
    ### Features
    - Added animation curve data compression setting with keyframe reduction options in the Animation Recorder.
    - Added an option to set the generated animation key tangents to ClampedAuto in the Animation Recorder.
    - Added ProRes encoder support in the MovieRecorder for OSX and Windows.
    - UX improvements
    ### Bugfixes
    - Fixed a bug that in the texture sampler recorder for animated camera fov and animated physical properties
    - Fixed a bug that caused the recorder to hang when docked next to the GameView.
    - Fixed a bug that caused the recorder to hang if starting recording while already in playmode
    - Fixed a bug where the AudioRecorder would not close the handle to the recorded file.
    - Fixed a bug where the recorder could output multiple files in a single session, when only one was expected.
    - Fixed a bug where one could not set a framerate larger than 120FPS
    - Fixed a bug where the AnimationRecorder would not flush the data to disk when done recording.
    - Fixed a bug where the RecorderWindow would get corrupted if some custom RecorderSettings code would not compile.
    - Fixed a bug where the RecorderWindow would generate errors after a failed QuickRecord session.
    - Fixed a bug where file creation could fail because of certain invalid characters in the file name.
    - Fixed a bug where scripted Recorder sessions could generate errors if frames were recorded before the session was prepared.
    ### Known issues
    - When the animationRecorder starts at frame zero and the timelineWindow inspects the timeline, multiple clip files are generated (some empty). To Fix, please update to the latest version of the Timeline package.
    About Apple ProRes
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202410
    Apple ProRes codecs provide an unparalleled combination of multistream, real-time editing performance, impressive image quality, and reduced storage rates. Apple ProRes codecs take full advantage of multicore processing and feature fast, reduced-resolution decoding modes.

unitybru likes this.
  33. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi @newguy123, the just publish new version of the Unity Recorder version 2.3.0-preview.3 should work correctly with the Unity 2020.2.0b2.

Thanks,
    Jean

newguy123 and BATTLEKOT like this.
  34. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi @jeffweber,

Sorry for the late answer, I believe what you are seeing is related to a know bug, in some instances when recording multiple movies at once some of the recording will be flipped vertically. As a workaround try to record each movie separately.

Regards,

Jean

35. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi @nbac,

We have an known bug related to 360 capture with HDRP. Currently the 360 capture is not well supported by the recorder with HDRP. Sorry.

Jean

36. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

Hi @xrbedard,

The recorder is still in preview, so to be able to see it in the package manager, you need to enable seeing the preview packages in the package manager project settings.

Jean

37. waldgeist

waldgeist

Did you ever solve this? Ran into the same problem. The non-alpha objects are showing, but not the particles.

38. waldgeist

waldgeist

39. newguy123

newguy123

Would be awesome to get that to work (HDRP with raytracing)

40. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@newguy123 Noted, this is definitely on our radar.

Regards,

Jean

newguy123 likes this.
  41. newguy123

newguy123

With the updated Recorder 2.3.0 preview 3, I don't get the console errors anymore, but I STILL get the recorder giving wrong results in EDITOR PLAY mode vs scrubbing the timeline.

As you can see from the screenshots, the large robot on the left turn before the taxi, however in the editor play mode and resulting mp4, the robot position is further along and it walks through the taxi

42. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@newguy123, sorry to read that you are still having problems. A number of things could affect the recording, for example: options in the recorder settings can have an impact. Also make sure that Could you provide us your recorder settings? One thing you can try is to make sure that your timeline playable director update method is set to GameTime.

If you could also indicate on which platform, unity version number, os version as well as a simple project that reproduce the issue, this could help us isolate the problem.

Regards,

Jean

43. newguy123

newguy123

Thanks @jean_unity_film_tv my specs and project is as follows:
    Unity 2020.2.0b2
    URP 8.1.0
    Unity Recorder 2.3.0 preview 3
    Windows 10 Pro version 2004 (build 19041.508)
    NVidia GPU RTX 2070 Super + GTX 1080Ti (Studio Driver version 451.77)
    12 Core i7 with 64GB Ram

The project is the one from Unity Learn (Real-time Animated Storytelling) and I'm on the 4th section using the supplied project files "Unit4_StarterFiles". I've done the animations etc and in the Unity Learn Course I'm up to the point of "Unit 4.4 - Exporting Dailies"

upload_2020-9-29_8-29-47.png

Here's my recorder settings:

upload_2020-9-29_8-21-18.png

Also, my timeline's Update Method is set to "Game Time"
    upload_2020-9-29_8-23-45.png

Here's the build settings even though I'm not actually building:
    upload_2020-9-29_8-27-5.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  44. jean_unity_film_tv

jean_unity_film_tv

Unity Technologies

@newguy123 thanks for the detail answer we investigate the issue and try to reproduce it on our side.

Regards,
    Jean

newguy123 likes this.
  45. newguy123

newguy123

Hi @jean_unity_film_tv were you able to reproduce the issue or see other similar behaviour?

46. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Not sure if this is the best place to report this, but this thread seems to have the only activity around Unity Recorder...

In my current project, if I use the Recorder Window record to MP4 with Audio, the first 100 frames work fine, then the play window/record rate drops to about 1 frame per second.

Recording without sound works fine; recording to MOV with audio works fine.
    Resolution doesn't matter (240p and 1080p have the same result).

I've tried to repro it in a new project, but it works fine there, which makes me think it's a plugin I'm using; are there any known plugins that Recorder doesn't get along with?

-Scott

47. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

If you run the project but not the Recorder, does this issue still arise? In that case it's definitely not the Recorder's fault.

48. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

No, the project runs fine as long as the recorder isn't recording.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  49. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Do you have multiple video recorders running at the same time ? Maybe Recorder Window + 1 or more Recorder Clips on Timelines

50. PanicEnsues

PanicEnsues

Pretty sure not; I'm not using Timelines in this project, and haven't scripted any recording triggers. Is there any other way to start a recording that I should look for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.