Search Unity

Bug Unity Recorder stopped working - freezes editor entirely - tried almost everything

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by igarrickbeth, May 22, 2023.

1. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

Unity recorder suddenly cannot record MP4s, and the other video format modes work but return errors (see picture 1). I have uninstalled the recorder package, and reinstalled it, and installed other versions of the package (and uninstalled/reinstalled them) and I've tried changing the directory where the files are saved. Absolutely nothing seems to work. The recorder is permanently broken it seems. It does not show any frames recorded. It totally and instantly crashes the editor. Upon restart of the editor sometimes I get the console-line errors shown that is referring to a 0 kb file that the Recorder tried to write to (see picture 2). It seems similar to this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/y2fw8d/unity_recorder_wont_recordprocess_frames/

Thoughts on how to unbreak the Recorder package? I think it actually records very good quality video, so this is a real loss.

I'm using recorder 2.5.7 (but have tried others) and Unity 2020.3.12f1 in Windows 10. Thanks. Screenshot 2023-05-21 161242.png Screenshot 2023-05-21 161736.png

2. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

@unitybru any possible suggestions on this? Thank you!

3. unity_7B7FCC2E6C8E17B17BAF

unity_7B7FCC2E6C8E17B17BAF

Unity Technologies

Hello igarrickbeth,

Thank you for reaching out. Based on the information you've provided, it seems that the issue may not be with the recorder itself. I have changed the tag of the thread to videoplayer to ensure that you receive more focused guidance and insights on how to solve the problem effectively.

4. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

Thank you so much but I do not use any Unity videoplayer resources. The error about reading the windows media file was included in my post only as a clue to what may be causing the Recorder to stop working. I have changed the tag back to Recorder! :)

Edit: I have added back the videoplayer tag in addition to the recorder tag in case there is some dependency between them that I don't understand.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  5. igarrickbeth

igarrickbeth

@JunL_Unity any possible thoughts on this? :) Thank you so much!!

6. JunL_Unity

JunL_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey there!
    So I could not reproduce the bug on my end and, I agree with my colleague's assessment that it doesn't seem to be a issue on the Reocorder side because you've done a clean reinstall of the package. Based on the error message, it looks like it's actually an issue with WindowsVideoMedia. Try looking there?
    That said, if this is still an issue, feel free to use the unity bug reporter, that way we can get a better picture of what's going on.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    igarrickbeth likes this.