Search Unity

Video Unity Recorder: Low Video Quality

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Selzier, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Selzier

Selzier

Hello, I render Music Videos using Unity and have recently switched to using Unity Recorder. However, the video has what seems to be compression artifacts and the video is low quality.

Is there anyway to get a higher quality render with the "lines" running across the screen? (mostly on the right side)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Selzier

Selzier

Unity: 2018.2.19.f1
    CPU: Intel i7-6700k
    RAM: 32 GB DDR4
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 ti

3. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @Selzier !

We are indeed aware their are quality issues and we are currently working at a better way of setting and exposing the codec parameters, so anyone can reach the level of quality one needs.

But as it is related to Unity Core and each OS Video API, it is a slower release timeline.

That said :
    - did you tried both Movie Recorder MP4 / WebM formats ?
    - if targeting a camera (and not recording Game View) is an option for you, might be worth trying to use the Legacy MP4 recorder that allows to specify a bitrate (To see legacy recorders : Windows > General > Recorder > Options > Show Legacy Recorders)

Let me know how it goes !

Selzier likes this.
  4. Selzier

Selzier

Ok thanks for the help, I prefer MP4 but I tried WebM and the quality is great! The only problem now is that the WebM render does not add audio to the final .WebM file. The audio track is added if I use mp4, but is not added if I use WebM. Is there a way I get Unity Render to add audio to the WebM video export?
    (audioSettings.preserveAudio is true)

I also have a source .mp3 file so if possible I can just add that to the video render (It's just a music video so I don't need to capture any sounds around the scene).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

I just gave a try and was able to export a WEBM with sound in 2018.2 with no issue (on OSX).
    So it should work.

Do you have errors in the console ?

6. Selzier

Selzier

There are no errors or warning, I even turned on Verbose mode. I made a video to show how the MP4 file will export the audio, but the WebM file will not.

7. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

The fact there is no sound playing while you are recording is a good sign, meaning the sound is redirected somewhere.
    Would you mind sharing the final WebM just in case ?

8. Selzier

Selzier

That solved it! All I had to do was upload to dropbox and it played the audio for me. Obviously I have a codec issue on my local machine ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oqdm7nxzmzvdap/movie.webm?dl=0

Thanks for the help marief_unity! This is "Music Video Recorder" and will be on the Asset Store as a Unity 2019 Asset that uses Unity Recorder. By copying a URL from soundcloud and clicking 1 button, it will download the mp3, jpg from soundcloud, render with Unity Recorder, and upload to Youtube automatically.

This will be a great tool for Youtube channels like Trap Nation

marief_unity likes this.
  9. Selzier

Selzier

I do want to raise the issue that the .WebM export still has very noticeable compression artifacts, but it's better than the MP4 export. However, I would like to get better quality than this:

10. marief_unity

marief_unity

Unity Technologies

11. Selzier

Selzier

This is our current solution and takes a lot of disk space + time. Ideally, we could render a video like Adobe Premiere and just have an .MP4 exported.

This is OK as a work-around for now, I hope we can use Unity Recorder to render actual videos (instead of image sequence) soon!

12. customphase

customphase

Can you not just expose the bitrate option to us? Alternatively, is there a source file i can edit to increase the bitrate of what is considered "high" quality? I tried looking but couldnt find any numerical values for bitrates that i can edit for current recorders, only found for legacy encoders.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Selzier likes this.
  13. Selzier

Selzier

This quality problems makes "Unity Recorder" completely useless. They quality is terrible, even at High, and clearly this can be used only as a prototype. Any video producer cannot use this low quality video render.

Unity, will there be any updates to Recorder or should we just plan to use "360 Pano Render" as our solution (image file render, completed by FFMPEG.exe)

If I put "Rendered with Unity" on my videos, the viewers would be saying "Ehhh we better not render videos with that software!".

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  14. Selzier

Selzier

There has been an increase in quality in the new 2.0 version of Unity Recorder with Unity 2019.2:

Keep up the good work, thanks Unity!

marief_unity likes this.