Search Unity

Unity Recorder and Cinemachine : why are useful tools being deprecated?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AxiomCrux, Sep 22, 2020.

?

Do you want Unity to continue to support Cinemachine and Unity Recorder?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AxiomCrux

AxiomCrux

I started exploring Unity in late 2017 with v 2017.3, I was enticed by the new tools that were being announced through that time and committed to making Unity my means to develop my planned projects. Cinemachine was announced around that time, maybe early 2018, as well as shader graph and vfx graph which I love. I had to take on some other projects that kept me tied up for a couple years and have recently returned to working on my unity projects to find that when I imported and used Cinemachine to animate my scene camera, it broke the scene, and tried to get unity recorder so I could cleanly capture a scene to video and it was deprecated and removed from the asset store.

These two tools are very useful in my plans, and I can't quite understand why they would be deprecated instead of updated. So far as I can see Unity is doing well as a company with an IPO forthcoming and estimated valuation in the area of 6 billion or more USD. That indicates anything but a lack of resources to allot to development. And from what I can gather looking at these assets, very little needs to be updated in order to retain forward compatibility.

I am finding this concerning, that useful tools which are a part of unity only announced a couple of years ago that appear to require relatively minimal work to update are already being deprecated instead of maintained. Why is this? What can I do about it? Are other users finding these tools useful and wishing they would continue support?

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

These tools are not deprecated, they are actively maintained. Access the latest versions using the Unity Package Manager (not the Asset Store).

upload_2020-9-22_13-32-20.png

MikeWise, unitybru, Vryken and 2 others like this.
  3. AxiomCrux

AxiomCrux

The unity recorder package that I had gotten from the asset store says deprecated, and I don't see any other version inside the unity regestry, of course I checked the package manager, thats how I am getting these things in the first place.

yokenstein likes this.
  4. i12play_software

i12play_software

Hi, Gregoryl. Why Cinemachine is deprecated in Asset Store?