Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity randomly decreases LOD bias to very low levels upon scene loading, followed by errors

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LastFractal, Mar 8, 2024.

1. LastFractal

LastFractal

Sometimes when I load a scene, on both editor and build, the LOD bias decreases and a few errors pop up:

upload_2024-3-8_22-22-13.png

Here is the decreased LOD Bias, which by default should be 1:
    upload_2024-3-8_22-23-12.png

It returns back to normal by either changing the quality setting, or restarting the build (or exiting the play mode in editor).

I always had this issue and was actually surprised that nothing came up when I looked up for it.

I cannot ignore it, since it basically "gets rid of" the trees, or anything with LOD group.

I am using 2022.3.20f1, URP, DX11.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  2. LastFractal

LastFractal

UPDATE: I managed to fix this by changing the scene loading method. Normally, to restart the level I would just call a LoadSceneAsync to reload the current scene; it turns out that while reloading, it creates a copy of the scene (one is the current and other one is loading) which results in two open scenes. This is why I was getting the errors while reloading the current scene and not a different one. What I did to solve this was, I created an empty scene specifically for loading, and load that empty scene first THEN load the actual scene. I am not sure if it's the best way to solve this, but it works with minimal loading time impact. Hope this helps someone.