Search Unity

Unity Quality, Can it be better?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MyGenericUsername, Apr 26, 2016.

1. MyGenericUsername

MyGenericUsername

As an artist, i like to look at the works of other artist. I came across this photo from Cryengine 5 and i just thought that it was too good to be true. I've been with unity for quite some time(Unity 2.6 and above). Being 18 y/o now, i still see nothing good that has come to unity as far as quality similar to the picture below. Unity was my first game engine, so is it for a lot of kids lol. But i've been in and out of Substance Software trying to achieve something spectacular like the image below.

Unity could use a heap of improvements in lighting and they should take a hint from cry engine (Cry engine has the best lighting so far out of most indie game engines)
    svoti_forest_2_1.jpg
    I notice in the image above that trees have Subsurface Scattering. Why does Unity not have Subsurface scattering within their shaders? That's something Unity should really add to make lighting more realistic. Along with indirect shadow maps. I also see that Unity's terrain is outdated and is complete crap. I can add Height maps or tessellation unless i spend time writing a custom shader which probably will cause problems within the terrain system. I say this because i have tried many Tessellation shaders. And the fact that i still can't paint my grass onto a mesh.

When i first got my hands on Substance Painter, i tried testing unity's lighting with PBR shading with this simple model made in 3ds max. (Standard Shader)
    PBR_NEW_Unity 5_EDITED.jpg

My question to some of you is: Have you achieved high quality with unity to compare to unreal or cryengine? I would like to see if so. :) I really want to see the Unity Engine get better when it comes to quality.

Archviz does not count. That's by far the easiest thing to setup with high quality in unity.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    DesertRaven likes this.
  2. N1warhead

N1warhead

It's not so much that Unity can't do it, it's can you do it.
    Yeah there can be some improvements, they finally went to GGX Lighting so it's more like Unreal and stuff now.
    But still they are completely different lighting setups from Unreal to Unity.

But with that being said, there can be some improvements, such as Volume light and fog, which would make the lighting 200000 times better than what it is now. But aside from that, using substance tools like Substance Designer/painter you'll be using the tools professionals have, so making the materials properly is up to your skill.

But one big thing you'll have with Unity from wha tI've noticed, isn't so much that it can't do it, but Unity is made for overall general games, not a specific type of game, cryengine is the master for outdoor games I would think, so Cryengine is Optimized for outside games, Unity definitely needs the optimizations that Cry has, and if it did, would allow so many more opportunities for outside games, so until that day, you'll have to learn how to optimize like crazy lol.

Like I've noticed with Farcry Primal, if you look at the trees, you can see the LOD transitions, very subtle, but if you know what to look for you can see the optimization at work.

DesertRaven likes this.
  3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

This topic has been addressed a million times, try a google search limited to: 'site: forum.unity3d.com'

carking1996, Martin_H, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  4. MyGenericUsername

MyGenericUsername

Believe me, i've searched a million miles on google looking for something remotely decent made with unity and still found nothing. But i mainly want to see the current version of the editor, not older ones.

DesertRaven likes this.
  5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Google this:

rendering unreal cry engine site:forum.unity3d.com

There is plenty of recent discussion on this topic (many many page threads), heaps of examples, etc. You can make up your own mind on the quality, possibilities, but I don't think we need this thread again.

6. MyGenericUsername

MyGenericUsername

Thanks!... I see a lot of people turn innocent forums into debates about which engine is the best LOL.. I just wanted to see screen shots from unity and nothing else.

DesertRaven likes this.
  7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Here ya go UMG - look around. http://madewith.unity.com/
    Also have you seen the adam demo? It's pretty impressive - and real-time rendered - not an image which allows the user to turn everything up, all the quality settings to 1000 without the worry of frame rate or lag.

But without a doubt - Primal does looks beautiful. It's not so overly impressive than other things created in Unity - but it is a beautiful game.

You've been working with Unity since 2.6 so you were 10/11 when you started messing around? That's 7 years experience. Within that time you couldn't put together an scene to match the quality you posted above? Even with U5 being out for more than a year now?

The engine is only a tool. There are some impressive things done in cryengine, unity and unreal. But the engine isn't what should be lauded about. It's the designers and artists who create the stuff - not the engines.

Screen shots are really pretty meaningless - instead look for real-time demos and games - those are what shows off quality work for real-time interaction, that the designers and artist have created with strict frame rate limitations in mind.

8. MyGenericUsername

MyGenericUsername

I am currently working towards that goal now with speed tree and substance.. I know that it is possible with a lot of time and effort, but I still want to see the works of others. And you're right about screenshots, but it still shows what unity can do as far as still rendering goes. :) and I've only recently got acquainted with substance software.

And I have to buy primal so I can see what's going on there.. I'm just an art freak.. sorry lol

theANMATOR2b likes this.