Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity QA - not designed to handle complex projects

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by freekstorm, Mar 31, 2016.

1. freekstorm

freekstorm

Please will someone at Unity take the time to consider how they are going to help customers with large projects. My project is 7GB (just the assets) so asking me to upload a new copy for every crash that occurs, or every bug I find is simply pointless. It takes forever. Unity crashed around 6 times today, you really want 40+GB of uploads.

I have a list of issues and I'm tired of your QA department telling me that I should make a small project showing the problem, or upload a separate copy for each problem. In an isolated project the problems often don't happen because the interactions between the systems have been removed. Isolated failure cases are the holy grail of QA and most of the time don't exist in complex systems.

I need to upload 1 copy of the project with a list of issues and how you recreate them. I'm happy to write a detailed report and take the time to do it. I'm not happy to sit around all day while Unity zips itself up and uploads to your site which takes forever.

I'm sorry to be like this. I've been using Unity for years but 5.3 and now 5.4 have been the most frustrating experience I've ever had with it. Please someone review your system and how it impacts large projects with complex interactions.

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You shouldn't need to upload the same project to the every bug report you file. You can always say "Get project from case xxx" in the repro steps.

tkoknordic and -chris like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Might get more interesting if collaboration and QA can cross the divide. So the projects would (in a few cases) be available. I think it's probably also possible to point Unity at a repo they can download from?

4. freekstorm

freekstorm

Ok, ill try it that way. I'll upload the project - once - and make references to it in the bug reports and well see how we get on with that.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

if it's already in Unity's hands just tell them where to find it

6. freekstorm

freekstorm

This will have to wait until next week now as I'm at an Expo for the weekend and had to revert to b11 because of major issues. Next week I'll create a project upload and detailed steps. But they are not all as simply as click x, then y. Your going to have to play some of my game in VR on the Vive. I hope that's ok.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity are happy to test it in any capacity providing it is can be clearly reproduced.

8. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Is there a way to send a project to Unity QA so they can test it before releasing a beta? We are now at beta 12 and our project still can't work. The camera render is flipped and all the effects stack on top of each other even if they are deactivates. It also broke several store packages. Simply opening up projects is one of the best test way to find critical issues, IMO.

Our project is more than 30 gb in size and sincerely, we are way too busy making games to waste hours finding repros and uploading the project. That is anyway a Unity QA job :)

freekstorm likes this.
  9. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

We're always willing to take projects and coordinate how to access the direct projects if you're willing. Just mention in the bug report and QA will reach out to you to discuss.

10. Jodon

Jodon

The "hidden secret" we've seen mentioned many times is that Unity prioritizes bugs with attached projects. My guess is you lose this "advantage" when reporting a bug and referencing a project from another case number.

Perhaps another part in the dialog where you can check a box that says it is in fact uploaded in another bug report (e.g. allowing the user to link issues)?

While we're on the topic of uploads, I think I've noticed that Unity just zips up the project folder and isn't smart about not including the Library/ folder, or any other sub-folders like Builds/ or Exports/. Is this is the case? Thinking on these lines, perhaps even having an option like "include current Scene" and having it build a package of dependencies to upload would help these large projects.

11. freekstorm

freekstorm

whatever it does its not doing simple zip. After 1 hour of packaging my project it was at 12%. Win zip zipped it all in under 5 minutes, and it took another 50 to upload to a server for them.

I don't know what their tool does, but it doesn't do it well.