Search Unity

Unity Project won't open on my friends machine

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kmart94, Aug 9, 2019.

1. kmart94

kmart94

My friend and I are collaborating on a game. We have the same version of Unity and we both have Unity Hub. The game loads with no errors on my machine. I have a large usb that I download the game onto, disconnect, and then give to my friend. After he downloads the game, he can't open it. Unity crashes while loading the game every time. I've downloaded the game from the drive and it works on my machine so I know the download isn't the issue. It seems like something is up with his computer. Can anyone help me with this? Let me know if I need to give more info.

Unity version 2019.1.11

2. bobisgod234

bobisgod234

Delete the library folder when sharing a project, then try again.

kmart94 likes this.
  3. kmart94

kmart94

Thanks for the answer bobisgod234, unfortunately this didn't work. After deleting the library folder, I tried reopening the project. It took longer to load than usual but in the end it crashed all the same, before I ever even got to the editor. Here is the end of my Editor Log -

Code (csharp):
    1. Updating Packages/com.unity.postprocessing/PostProcessing/Shaders/Debug/Waveform.shader - GUID: 3020ac7ece79a7f4eb789a236f8bd6c5...
    2. done. [Time: 40.190200 ms]
    3. Updating Packages/com.unity.postprocessing/PostProcessing/Shaders/Builtins/Texture3DLerp.compute - GUID: 31e9175024adfd44aba2530ff9b77494...
    4. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler.exe after 0.07 seconds
    5. done. [Time: 123.571100 ms]
    6. Updating Packages/com.unity.postprocessing/PostProcessing/Shaders/Builtins/AutoExposure.compute - GUID: 34845e0ca016b7448842e965db5890a5...
    7. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler.exe after 0.06 seconds
    8. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler.exe after 0.07 seconds
    9. Crash!!!

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Are you sure there wasn't a problem with your file copy? Can your friend create a new project and include the post processing package without crashing?

kmart94 likes this.
  5. kmart94

kmart94

Joe-Censored, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'll try my best to answer your question. I originally zipped a copy of my project and put it on my hard drive. When I unzipped it, I was unable to open the project without it crashing on his machine. I'm starting to think this issue has to do with the 2d game toolkit project we downloaded from the unity asset store. We wanted to use it to improve our game however he was unable to import it without it crashing while I was able to import it just fine. He tried re-importing it several times to no success. That's why I tried downloading my version directly onto his machine since we are both working in the same version of unity. That was also why I was super surprised when it didn't work. I'm wondering if it is possible that even though we have the same unity versions, they do not behave the same due to downloaded packages, or android/mac support? Frankly I'm stumped

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Sounds like the issue is with his computer then. Have him take a new empty project and include the post processing package and the 2d game toolkit and see if he has the same failure. If so, start looking into what problem he has with his computer. Might be old drivers, junk hardware, etc.