Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity project tiny general issues (package and template installation)

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Christof_Stanits, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

[solved by @SINePrime and @elliotc-unity : Path is too long (windows restriction) see posts below]

Hey folks,

using Unity 2019.3.0f3
    I am trying to get going with tiny and ran into two issues:

Following the guide I created a Universal Render Pipeline project (deleted the default assets) and want to add the project tiny package, but I cant find it. (preview packages are active)

When I open the cloned Tiny Racing Project, I see the (already installed) tiny packages in the same editor.
    Am I missing something here?

The other problem is that, when trying to create a new Universal Render Pipeline project (as advised in the guide) I now get this error.

Failed to resolve project template: Failed to decompress

Things Ive checked so far (after google searches):
    I dont have spaces in my project paths
    I checked allowed apps in windows defender firewall. Seems ok to me, but heres a shot

I have also installed Unity 2019.3.0f5 but the problems remain.
    Should I try using Unity 2019.3.0f1 ?

My goal is to get project tiny running
    thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. SINePrime

SINePrime

According to the guide, (in Setting up a New Project / Project and Package Setup), you need to edit your /Packages/manifest.json.

Not sure what's wrong with the project template file. Maybe it's corrupted, or an incomplete download?

Christof_Stanits likes this.
  3. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

thank you SINePrime for your reply. thanks for taking the time!

I now added the list given in the guide to the manifest.json and saved it.
    Unity started the import but gave me errors:

Nonetheless I followed the insctructions but when I get to build and run ofc it didnt, with the same errors.

Build Errors:

Build DotsRTBuildSettings failed in BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles after 432ms.
    Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes.asmdef"
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x0019e] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.IO.FileOptions options, System.String msgPath, System.Boolean bFromProxy, System.Boolean useLongPath, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions,string,bool,bool,bool)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00067] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks) [0x0000d] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(string)
    at System.IO.File.ReadAllText (System.String path) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.NPath.ReadAllText () [0x0000f] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\NiceIO.cs:1248
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildProgramDataFileWriter.AllAssemblyDefinitions () [0x0003a] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildProgramDataFileWriter.cs:145
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildProgramDataFileWriter.WriteAsmdefsJson (Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.NPath directory) [0x00026] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildProgramDataFileWriter.cs:98
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildProgramDataFileWriter.WriteAll (System.String directory, System.String selectedConfig) [0x00001] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildProgramDataFileWriter.cs:36
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles.RunBuildStep (Unity.Build.BuildContext context) [0x0001d] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles.cs:43
    at Unity.Build.BuildPipeline.RunBuildSteps (Unity.Build.BuildContext context) [0x00100] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4\Unity.Build\BuildPipeline.cs:241
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogFormat(LogType, LogOption, Object, String, Object[])
    Unity.Build.BuildPipelineResult:LogResult() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildPipelineResult.cs:126)
    Unity.Build.<>c:<.cctor>b__43_1(BuildSettings) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:51)
    Unity.Build.<>c__DisplayClass34_0:<RefreshHeader>b__1() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:229)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Attached Files:

4. SINePrime

SINePrime

Looks like it's picking up tests, which shouldn't be included in builds.

What does your build settings asset look like?

5. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

followed the guide.

heres a shot:

Attached Files:

6. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

I have installed Unity Hub 2.2.2 and Unity 2019.3.0f5 on another PC and ran the Universal Project Template and it also exits with the same error.

Failed to resolve project template: Failed to decompress

Hub crashes and I have an unusable entry to the project list.

So I guess it isnt a corrupt install. Noone else has this?

7. SINePrime

SINePrime

Looking at your error again, it occurred to me that `Could not find a part of the path` is an odd exception to have on a build. Are you using any networked drives or symbolic links?

The only other thing I can think is that your root assembly `GameSystems` is referencing tests assemblies?

8. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

no network drives or anything else out of the ordinary.
    it's an asus laptop and I also hadnt done anything unusual. Just followed the steps from the tutorial in a brand new project.

(And as I already mentioned) I had installted the whole show on my PC as well, and there the Universal RP template fails to install as well, so I dont even know how to get started anew.

9. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

That path is over the Windows path length limit of 260 characters. I’ll add a todo item to make a nice error message for that. In the meantime, I suggest using a shorter path (but spaces should be fine). You can also look up how to enable long paths in windows if you prefer.

SolalStr and Christof_Stanits like this.
  10. SINePrime

SINePrime

I think I figured it out.

Windows API has a max path length of **260 characters**.

This path has **262** characters:
    "C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes.asmdef"

I am also guessing the decompression failed for the same reason; the extracted path in the project directory would be too long.

You can read about the path character limit and workarounds here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

EDIT: Preempted my response by a fraction of a second

11. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

@SINePrime
    Thank you so much for all your effort! Many Kudos for figuring this out!
    I just checked the Universal RP project install on a shorter path and it works. Will redo the guide tutorial tonight.

@elliotc-unity thanks to you as well ofc. I shall use shorter paths. Not a problem.