Search Unity

Unity project tiny general issues (package and template installation)

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Christof_Stanits, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

[solved by @SINePrime and @elliotc-unity : Path is too long (windows restriction) see posts below]

Hey folks,

using Unity 2019.3.0f3
    I am trying to get going with tiny and ran into two issues:

Following the guide I created a Universal Render Pipeline project (deleted the default assets) and want to add the project tiny package, but I cant find it. (preview packages are active)

When I open the cloned Tiny Racing Project, I see the (already installed) tiny packages in the same editor.
    Am I missing something here?

The other problem is that, when trying to create a new Universal Render Pipeline project (as advised in the guide) I now get this error.

Failed to resolve project template: Failed to decompress

Things Ive checked so far (after google searches):
    I dont have spaces in my project paths
    I checked allowed apps in windows defender firewall. Seems ok to me, but heres a shot

I have also installed Unity 2019.3.0f5 but the problems remain.
    Should I try using Unity 2019.3.0f1 ?

My goal is to get project tiny running
    thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. SINePrime

SINePrime

According to the guide, (in Setting up a New Project / Project and Package Setup), you need to edit your /Packages/manifest.json.

Not sure what's wrong with the project template file. Maybe it's corrupted, or an incomplete download?

Christof_Stanits likes this.
  3. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

thank you SINePrime for your reply. thanks for taking the time!

I now added the list given in the guide to the manifest.json and saved it.
    Unity started the import but gave me errors:

Nonetheless I followed the insctructions but when I get to build and run ofc it didnt, with the same errors.

Build Errors:

Build DotsRTBuildSettings failed in BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles after 432ms.
    Could not find a part of the path "C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes.asmdef"
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x0019e] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.IO.FileOptions options, System.String msgPath, System.Boolean bFromProxy, System.Boolean useLongPath, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions,string,bool,bool,bool)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean checkHost) [0x00067] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks) [0x0000d] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(string)
    at System.IO.File.ReadAllText (System.String path) [0x00000] in <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.NPath.ReadAllText () [0x0000f] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\NiceIO.cs:1248
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildProgramDataFileWriter.AllAssemblyDefinitions () [0x0003a] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildProgramDataFileWriter.cs:145
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildProgramDataFileWriter.WriteAsmdefsJson (Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.NPath directory) [0x00026] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildProgramDataFileWriter.cs:98
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildProgramDataFileWriter.WriteAll (System.String directory, System.String selectedConfig) [0x00001] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildProgramDataFileWriter.cs:36
    at Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles.RunBuildStep (Unity.Build.BuildContext context) [0x0001d] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build\BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles.cs:43
    at Unity.Build.BuildPipeline.RunBuildSteps (Unity.Build.BuildContext context) [0x00100] in C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4\Unity.Build\BuildPipeline.cs:241
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogFormat(LogType, LogOption, Object, String, Object[])
    Unity.Build.BuildPipelineResult:LogResult() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildPipelineResult.cs:126)
    Unity.Build.<>c:<.cctor>b__43_1(BuildSettings) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:51)
    Unity.Build.<>c__DisplayClass34_0:<RefreshHeader>b__1() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:229)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Attached Files:

4. SINePrime

SINePrime

Looks like it's picking up tests, which shouldn't be included in builds.

What does your build settings asset look like?

5. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

followed the guide.

heres a shot:

Attached Files:

6. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

I have installed Unity Hub 2.2.2 and Unity 2019.3.0f5 on another PC and ran the Universal Project Template and it also exits with the same error.

Failed to resolve project template: Failed to decompress

Hub crashes and I have an unusable entry to the project list.

So I guess it isnt a corrupt install. Noone else has this?

7. SINePrime

SINePrime

Looking at your error again, it occurred to me that `Could not find a part of the path` is an odd exception to have on a build. Are you using any networked drives or symbolic links?

The only other thing I can think is that your root assembly `GameSystems` is referencing tests assemblies?

8. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

no network drives or anything else out of the ordinary.
    it's an asus laptop and I also hadnt done anything unusual. Just followed the steps from the tutorial in a brand new project.

(And as I already mentioned) I had installted the whole show on my PC as well, and there the Universal RP template fails to install as well, so I dont even know how to get started anew.

9. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

That path is over the Windows path length limit of 260 characters. I’ll add a todo item to make a nice error message for that. In the meantime, I suggest using a shorter path (but spaces should be fine). You can also look up how to enable long paths in windows if you prefer.

10. SINePrime

SINePrime

I think I figured it out.

Windows API has a max path length of **260 characters**.

This path has **262** characters:
    "C:\Users\Christof\WORK\GameCreation_Projects\Tiny_Racing\ProjectTinySamples\UnityTestProject\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes.asmdef"

I am also guessing the decompression failed for the same reason; the extracted path in the project directory would be too long.

You can read about the path character limit and workarounds here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/naming-a-file

EDIT: Preempted my response by a fraction of a second

11. Christof_Stanits

Christof_Stanits

@SINePrime
    Thank you so much for all your effort! Many Kudos for figuring this out!
    I just checked the Universal RP project install on a shorter path and it works. Will redo the guide tutorial tonight.

@elliotc-unity thanks to you as well ofc. I shall use shorter paths. Not a problem.

unityunity