Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity project as a package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by funbites, May 27, 2019.

1. funbites

funbites

I'm reading the documentation for custom packages and there is a specific layout for a package (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/cus-layout.html) that is different from Unity project layout. Is there a way to make a Unity project work as a package?

I have a project that artists are working on models and animations. I want to import this project to another project in Unity where the game is actually made. I thought that packages would be the correct solution, but seems that packages are different than Unity projects.

Can I open a package just like I open a Unity project to edit and then publish to the package manager? Or do I have to copy the files to a package structure and then publish it?

2. benoitv_unity

benoitv_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @funbites,

The closest thing you can do is create an empty project that contains *only* your package. You would create a new project, remove all the dependencies from manifest.json and then add your package using either
    a) "embed" the package, that is copying it inside the Packages folder of your empty project.
    b) Refer to your package using a "file:" dependency

Regards