Search Unity

Question Unity program is stuck trying to switch platform to Dedicated Server (Linux)

Discussion in 'Web' started by RicaPT, Dec 23, 2023.

1. RicaPT

RicaPT

I've stumbled upon an issue that has be stumped. I'm using Unity 2021.3.19f1 (I cannot upgrade it due to packages). I've been building for WebGL, iOS and Dedicated Server (Linux) on a MacBook for months, and never had an issue switching platforms between them until now.

My Unity application now gets stuck when I try to switch platforms from WebGL/iOS to Dedicated Server (Linux). The loading popup text will cycle between "Reload Script Assemblies", "Installing Modules", and "Compiling C# Scripts", while the loading bar will remain at 0%. Does not progress after hours. I tried force quitting Unity and restarting my device. The only way I managed to get it unstuck was to delete the Library folder and let Unity rebuild everything, but it goes back to the previous platform I was on.

At first I thought something went wrong with my Unity installation on my MacBook and that I needed to make a fresh install. But a few days ago I bought a new Windows PC, I made a fresh Unity install on there, and it's still happening!

I don't really recall doing anything related to installed modules or anything else that would have affected the platform. Anyone knows what's going on? How can I troubleshoot this?

upload_2023-12-24_9-30-28.png

Edit: forgot to mention, I tried on an new empty project and I could switch it to Dedicated Server just fine. So if it only happens on my current game project and it's happening on both Mac and brand new Windows PC, it must be an issue with my project?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  2. RicaPT

RicaPT

My coworker found the issue. Under Project Settings > Player > Dedicated Server settings > Scripting Define Symbols was empty. After they were filled up I could switch between Dedicated Server and other platforms normally.