Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Products changes and UNET

Discussion in 'UNet' started by iCode, May 31, 2016.

1. iCode

iCode

It was my understanding that in order to use UNET's relay service you had to have Unity Pro for a game in production. With the changes to Unity products with Free, Plus , Pro, etc. my question is, do you still need Pro, or will Plus be enough? Thanks!

2. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Curious about this as well, Plus users being able to launch Unity Multiplayer games might be the only saving grace of this new pricing model, but I'm not holding my breath.

3. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Hey. There's no real change between GDC (launch) and today for Multiplayer if you're an existing user. If you're on Personal, you still get 20. If you're on Pro, you still get 200. The major change for Multiplayer is the introduction of the Unity Plus plan, which comes with 50. All tiers (still) come with HLAPI, LLAPI, matchmaker and relay server.

There was a lot of stuff that needed to be said today so we had to be really concise on everything.

4. iCode

iCode

I thought those numbers were for testing? I thought you had to be on Pro for the relay server so Unity got some kind of income for the relay service usage. For example, i cant release a game on Personal, how would you guys charge me for the network usage?
    If the above statement is true, then that was what my original question was asking, does the Plus plan include the data cost of the relay service?
    Thanks!

5. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

You get to use Relay and Matchmaker with the CCUs that you get with your plan. So saying that you don't get relay server is not accurate.

You should be able to release a game with Plus. I need to update documentation elsewhere. You should be able to do it with Personal (Free) too but we're not there yet. For background, see "Why do I need a Pro License to “Go Live”?

Technically, you can "release" a game with just 20, 50, or 200 CCUs (depending on your plan). If you do so, you're taking the risk that your game is never going to have more players than what's allotted. What you're getting when you "Go live" is the ability to go beyond CCU limits. Else, your player base - and presumably you'd collect from them - would be capped.

There's no defined limit on the amount of data you use when you haven't marked your game for release . It wouldn't be fair for us to charge you when you haven't yet optimized your network code for bandwidth usage. There is a maximum transmission rate which is currently set at 4.5kB; it's what we think is reasonable before you really ought to start optimizing. When you Go Live, the expectation is code is optimized and you're gonna make money; so that's when we charge.

6. iCode

iCode

Richard, thank you for your prompted detailed responses, i really appreciate it. I think the piece i was missing was the future plans to have a credit card on file for Free users to pay for the relay service. Thanks again!

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

Can I use Unity's multiplayer with my own servers? Or is using it restricted to UT's infrastructure?

8. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

You're not restricted to using Unity's infrastructure. You'd need to write some middle layer between Unity's high/low level APIs to work with your own infrastructure. Customers do this today.