Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity production versions quality - total mess! I demand refund!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sergiusz308, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Since switched to 2019.2 there's not a single day when Unity Editor would not crash of freeze.
    Up to this point was patiently restarting and trying to work on my game - because this is why I became a Unity customer - to work on the games!

But today it just went one crash too far! It's a PRODUCTION software people! How you can be so ignorant?!

upload_2019-10-28_15-21-8.png

I made a decision to invest in unity but this decision was based on false information provided by the Unity - advertising and promotion materials did not informed potential customer that production versions of the software are so ridiculously unstable.

I demand a full refund for this and previous month payments for the Unity. This software is a mess and not ready for production usage.

p.s. Tried to report a bug and this is what I get EVERY time I am trying to report a crash:

upload_2019-10-28_15-11-51.png

Not cool, very not cool.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sounds like you should have stayed on LTS. About the refund situation, email them directly.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

LTS has nothing to do with it. I want to use features which 2019.2 provides, which were advertised and for which I pay.

No, I want everyone to know how things are actually look like, before making decision. I did not have that opportunity, before I was trapped by broken software I already invested a lot of time and money in (Sorry Unity that I am not an Enterprise grade customer with custom builds from you, very sorry - I just thought that you treat your customers fair, fair enough to not release broken software with "production grade" tag on it).

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Lets fix the problems!

This is something I have experienced in over 30 years of dev. Even the best engines... crash over and over when it's that ONE thing causing it you know? It's always one little hidden thing that does it.

If you *can* report a bug, somehow, please do it, and post the case number here and staff will see it. If you can't get that far, try:

• make copy of project
    • delete library folder in copy
    • use bug reporter tool
    If that's possible let me know. It could be deleting the library also fixes the crashes (yup, happens) but lets see how we go. Lets see if the community can't fix it...

(and I'm not paid staff yet or anything so no need to lunge at me with the mouse)...

karl_jones likes this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Hmmm... :p

Solid advice otherwise.

6. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@hippocoder Man, you're right - let's fix it. Let's start with Unity actually running a proper QA for their products. Don't get me wrong - I love Unity! I know that there are hundreds of people honestly working to make it a great product.

But... end result is that I don't know what I should put in a bug report? Randomly crashes during simplest actions in the Editor, with simplest scene, and without a possibility to use Unity provided crash report tool, because it's bugged too?

And please don't start with dozens of years of dev experience - yes I have it too, worldwide, and I never experienced such undercooked product, being aggressively advertised as a production ready and with prolonged, completely random instability and broken report tools!

Thanks for trying to cool this down. Honestly though I don't think you can do much with flawed release process that ends up frustrating customers forced to deal with broken software on daily basis, without any hint for resolution in sight.

7. xVergilx

xVergilx

Well, you could've started from reading last logs & crash dump then. 2019.2 is pretty stable for me.
    Make sure you're not doing something that leaks in the background. It could be that its not even UT's fault.

It could be HW / drivers as well. There's no way to tell what's going on unless digging through the above mentioned.

justasz and karl_jones like this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I have heard you, and I know Unity staff have seen your posts here. But time for you to make the decision to chill and provide the info to fix your case. Let's do it?

Again, heard loud and clear!

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

How much data are you trying to attach to the bug report? There is a limit on the size of the project that could be causing the bug reporter to fail. I have asked the team if they can provide more information on this error message.
    Try removing some of the files, maybe just send a single crash report and send the rest as a followup if we need them. Its also possible that a process is holding onto the file(visual studio).

As people have already mentioned there could be many factors behind this bug so we will need the bug report/crash reports in order to be able to move forward.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    hippocoder and sergiusz308 like this.
  10. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Thanks for these ideas. Just managed to send single, most recent crash report, launching tool outside Unity.

And seriously guys - in XXI century there are known ways to obtain information about process holding lock on the file (if this is the reason why crash tool fails - I don't know for sure). This is advanced piece of software and I really stunned how this was skipped during sprints planning for crash reporting tool (which beside this problem looks works very cool!) and "worked around" with single, completely uninformative message that crash tool is unable to report a crash...

Anyway, let's see what would come out of crash report I sent.

karl_jones likes this.
  11. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

I am happy for you, but knowing that does not helping me using this software...

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

As I implied in my previous post, you should stick to LTS and treat all TECH releases as beta. I realize this is less than ideal, but it is the reality of using Unity for production.

13. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Another crash reported.

14. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

No, I am treating release as they are, unless Unity official admits that aside from LTS they are not capable of providing customers with production grade software. Once I see that, lawyers will take over discussion.

I am not going to "pretend" that official release of the software, not flagged as a beta, is ACTUALLY a beta!

15. Mauri

Mauri

As @xVergilx said: it could be your hardware or even drivers. Might be a good idea to check those first (e.g. if they're up-to-date) before hurling demands. But more important: file a bug report, if possible.

That said, 2019.2 is pretty solid on my end. I haven't experienced any crash so far at all... and I've been using it for weeks now.

16. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Honestly, have to agree to some level. I get at least one crash per day, sometimes more. The editor randomly becomes unable to draw anything properly and I see garbage texture data throughout, requiring a restart. Various editor windows occasionally start flashing every time they're hovered over, and so on.

This is on a Windows 10 device. I have found the Mac version to be considerably more stable. So, it is either an issue with the Windows-specific version of Unity, Windows itself, or my Windows computer.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Locking this. Please report another bug / issue as it arises with case number, as people are chiming in with random issues, frankly.

Anything (if outside of experimental/alpha/beta) that has crashes should be bug report case only, because it's impossible otherwise to track these things down for release versions.

Hope you guys understand that. If not, then you will not get help. It's that simple. If your issue is with an alpha/beta/experimental/preview version then you can simply post about it in the corresponding forum.

These rules are sanity checks because it's an all-too common occurrence where person A's bug sounds exactly like person B's bugs... but they're not the same.That happens ALL the time.

(Happened to me too, more than once so nobody's special here).

karl_jones and Joe-Censored like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.