Search Unity

Unity Pro - Serial has reached the maximum number of activations. Disable existing activations to re

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by headlessstudio, Nov 15, 2016.

1. headlessstudio

headlessstudio

Everything was working fine but now I can’t start unity Pro because it asked for the license (again) and now it says I’ve reached the maximum number of activations. The problem is I can’t see any activations except for a free license in my account.

I need to do a build for a client TODAY and now I’m stuck looking at an error message.

Please solve this ASAP, we will incur penalty fees from our client if we don’t deliver the final build today.

I don’t understand how Unity sells Pro licenses to its users and then offers no way to manage them.

If this is not solved today, I'm gonna forward our penalty fees plus damage fees to Unity Technologies.

PS - This is not the first time it happens, you create a new licensing scheme which is way cheaper than what we paid and now we are left out when it comes to being able to efficiently manage our own licenses.

Kind regards,
    Artur Leao

Marc-Saubion and NoSpoonAnim like this.
  2. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

Have you emailed support?

Also, is this an old license, or a new subscription?

For the old licenses, you can go to https://store.unity3d.com/en/account/licenses and login with your Unity account to manage and reset licenses there. If you don't see any under your account, then you must have applied the license originally to another unity account - you will need to login to that account.

Also, I'm guessing this is on the same computer that has been working previously, right? If it is on a new machine, then go to one of the other machines with the license installed and de-activate that one.

BIGNIKita and turing0615 like this.
  3. headlessstudio

headlessstudio

I've emailed support, first thing I did. Like I said this is not the first time the license just de-activates itself (Windows updates, or whatever, screw it up).

I already had a previous thread with support where they specifically told us that this could not be done in their backend and only by contacting support.

Same computer.

Still no answer from anyone at Unity, either here, or by email. I've emailed support and three different sales contact. Everyone seems to be on vacation.

4. kampfhund

kampfhund

Did you get this solved? Unity crashed and now I can't use it anymore because of this stupid problem "Serial has reached the maximum number of activations..."

5. Shaolin-Dave

Shaolin-Dave

Checked with the new version 5.5 today, issue still not resolved. I haven't heard back from my support email, but all of you contacted them earlier. Did you ever get responses?

EDIT: Spoke too soon, I got a response from Unity just after typing this. "I have cleared the activations on your MacBook. You should be able to reactivate now."

No word on what caused the issue in the first place, how to avoid it going forward, or how to correct it without waiting for support from Unity for at least a day. I will follow up with them.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. headlessstudio

headlessstudio

I did get this resolved by contacting our local sales manager. Support replied one week after the issue was solved....

7. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

I'm going to post - just to let Unity know. Grrrrr.

This current way of managing licenses is amateur hour. I have no such issues with Adobe - and what they are offering is way more extensive than Unity, and much cheaper!

I made the mistake of "upgrading" my perpetual pro license to a subscription.

I had an issue where I have to deactivate all activations. After entering my license code(again), I was taken to a page where I had to enter my new subscription license(again) on the website. I enter my license only to be told that I've already added my license. Yep - I know I've already added the license so why are you asking me again. This is a bug Unity! I roam around the website and there is no way of deactivating all activations.

Sooooo......I manually "return a license" on my laptop to at least "free up a slot". I try to get in on my desktop. Nope. I then try and log back in on my laptop (where I had returned a license). Nope. Aarrrrggggghhh!!!!

So I have a pro license but at the moment, no chance of using it without contacting support that take days to respond. Is this a good way to spend $125 per month?

And yes, I have contacted support about this!

8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

This has been one of the things that makes me shy away from changing to a subscription (currently have a perpetual pro). The licensing stuff gets frustrating. It seems that every couple of times that Windows 10 updates, I suddenly can't update Unity anymore because it tells me all of my activations have been used, and I don't use it on my laptop anymore so this is the only machine I activate on. So I have to log in, return all of the licenses and activate again. I worry that if I have those issues with the subscription license, I'll lose the pro license.

9. bravo075

bravo075

Greetings, I am currently experiencing this also, I need to provide a build very soon. I had a license on a computer that had to be formatted and now there's no way to reset this which is quite unbelievable. There should really be a way to reset licenses from your account, and if there is it is not showing up for me.

10. Mauri

Mauri

There is a way for perpetual licenses at least. Click on the icon on the top navigation and press "Edit account". Under "My Seats", there should be a link called "manage your other licenses". Click on that and you should see all of your licenses plus a button named "Activations" next to it. Now, pressing that will reveal an option to disable all activations.

Not sure about subscriptions, though...

11. Foxxis

Foxxis

Having this very problem right now. Cannot find an option to deactivate subscription seats. This is really unacceptable as it means we simply cannot work!?

12. Foxxis

Foxxis

Writing to add that it *is* possible to manually deactivate subscription seats. It is located under Settings->My Seats, where there is a "Remove all my activations" button. That has seemingly worked out for me.
    What confused me (and likely others) is that this option is *not* located under Seat Managment in the organisations tab, where I looked quite a bit...

Marc-Saubion, kmedved, neeboy and 9 others like this.
  13. unity_CSfFPFOAWzeSyw

unity_CSfFPFOAWzeSyw

You Saved my so much time... thank you

VWGoA likes this.
  14. Panasenko

Panasenko

YOU'RE MY SAVIOR!!! Thanks man!

15. benmncelly

benmncelly

If you came here looking for answers, and have removed all your seats and it still doesn't work, congratulations join the thousands of people with this issue a month. Unity is aware and hires more support staff instead of fixing the licencing problem. To be clear, sometimes you just CANNOT get this fixed without calling support.

16. HoloSpaces-Berlin

HoloSpaces-Berlin

I'm absolutely certain, that Windows Updates are the cause for the problem. Whenever Windows changes the build version (happens to me a lot using the insider preview builds), it changes the hash Unity uses for verification and thinks it's a different machine.

One should remove the activation either prior or after such an update.

Additionally make sure you're logged in with the correct account in the Unity HUB when reactivating the license

17. Julien-Lynge

Julien-Lynge

18. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

Thanks a lot !

using this link https://id.unity.com/en/serials to disable all activations then simply entering the serial number in unity hub fixed the issue for me.

here is what i think is causing the glitch:

1. windows updates
    2. unity detects the new windows update as a new machine
    3. a single license only allows 2 machines activations, so the new machine ( the update of windows 10 ) cannot be activated until you disable all activations

Zapan15 and Miguel_TagaiArts like this.
  19. Aligdev

Aligdev

You saved my day, thank you bro.

I just cannot understand why Unity doesn't try to make things simpler and clearer instead of hiding things around :/

20. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

Totally saved my life. Thanks, mate.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can't disable my personal edition through the link :/

22. JosephDayberg

JosephDayberg

Solutions is simple:

1. Sign in at id.unity.com.
    2. Go to the "My Seats" tab.
    3. Under the "Activation" box, you will see how many activations you have used and which machines they are currently assigned to.
    4. Select the checkbox next to any activations you would like to remove, then select 'Remove selected activations'. Alternatively, if you would like to remove all your activations on the serial, select 'Remove all my activations' The license is now free to be used on different machines.
    Credits to Unity

Johnny_Hermoso and iyadik like this.
  23. jcs090218

jcs090218

No luck. I am still having this issue even I have no activate license inside my activation box.

24. facePuncher7

facePuncher7

You need to contact Unity support and ask them to do it for you.

Manual activations will not be cleared when you use the dashboard. Only Unity support can do it.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

there is no Activation box on the My Account ->My Seats tab, so i delete my account and sign up again

26. iyadik

iyadik

Thanks @JosephDayberg

27. ASDF_alpha

ASDF_alpha

How do i contact them?

28. DrWarren

DrWarren

Greetings, seems I need to add my name to this list of frustrated.
    I've gone through the above suggestions and tried all of them and had no luck.
    I notified support over 10 days ago and update my ticket every day on average.
    Still no response.
    I've even started reaching out to groups on social media and still no response.
    Is this really happening from Unity?
    I just want to know what I did wrong and how to fix it.
    Unity please help.

Deleted User likes this.
  29. shashank-agrawal

shashank-agrawal

Any solution to this problem?

30. MAeStROx

MAeStROx

Just had this happen today, no way to fix it on your own

31. Zapan15

Zapan15

This fixed our issues, too! Thank you!

32. Johnny_Hermoso