Search Unity

Unity PRO + Basic

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Buff, May 1, 2012.

1. Buff

Buff

Hello,

We are a small team trying to develop a simple game. There are 2 people who will need to use Unity directly. One is the programer and the other is the lead artist. We only have 1 Unity PRO license. Is it ok if one of our members (the lead artist) uses Unity PRO while the programer (who does not need the visual features of the pro license) uses only the Basic license? Obviously, the build of the game will be made with the PRO license.

Many thanks!

2. diablo

diablo

That sounds reasonable, and I don't think it's against the license.

3. AdrianC

AdrianC

4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Well, it certainly would work out, if you tested the scripts on the Pro version, and things like Occlusion Culling (for performance), Profiler feature (to see what things are how hard on the CPU (what drains the performance and how much)) and other Pro only features can only be done on the pro version.

NOTE: If you wanna buy a team license with a student discount, Unity is selling Unity 3D Engine on this site: http://www.studica.com/eu/en/unity/unity-team-license-3x-education.html with a very big discount! You can also buy them one at a time by typing "unity" into the search bar, and it will throw you to all the available types of licenses to buy.

Regards,

Luka.

5. diablo

diablo

Oops! I guess you can't! I didn't interpret that part of the EULA correctly. This is kind of tricky though, because what's the difference between a teammate who's done 90% of their project in free and then hands it off to another teammate who buys a PRO license and does the rest (10%) in pro, and someone who buys pro from day one, does his 10% all pro stuff on the pro license and his teammate does the free 90% on the free version? Of course, Unity needs to prevent the situtation where you have a shop buying only one pro license, so it makes sense for them to have a policy preventing things like this from taking place, it's just not exactly intuitive.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Buff

Buff

Hey

Ok... it is quite understandable that Unity will not allow to combine a PRo and Basic licence together. But, we are a very small team that has put money out of our pockets to buy that 1 PRo licence and its really out of our reach to get another licence. Now I'm thinking that the way to work 'legally' with this licence is to have our programmer use the PRO licence, and also to put the art together. Thus, only he will use Unity... this sounds terrible to be honest... I think Unity should be flexible with small teams concerning this... For example, the PRO license should be allowed to be used in combination with Basic for teams that are 5 or less people....

7. JRavey

JRavey

Flexible? Unity is cheaply priced already.

8. Buff

Buff

$1500 for a small team of indie developers? is manageable. But $3,000 for 2 licenses (while we could do with 1 PRO + 1 Basic) is expensive, plus the fact that we have to buy other dev tools as well. Again... as I mentioned, we are a small dev team, and this is not our real job! its our hobby! Thus its expensive.

9. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

http://www.studica.com/eu/en/unity/u...education.html <--- See if you have enough money for a discounted team license :)

I bought a solo license from them. Basically what they do, is contact the Unity team, and they send you the key. I was worried if it was even legal at first too. But then I've seen an advertisement on the unity3d.com site, with a link to buy it from the Studica website.