Search Unity

Unity Price Change in 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hard_code, Oct 17, 2019.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

We're beating a dead horse, but those were released before Unity changed their guidelines. The guidelines change is semi-recent, and before the recent change, the guidelines actually encouraged people to use the logo.

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

Well the asset store is de factor unity permission, you have to go through their approval first.

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Same artist released this one a year ago,

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

@AcidArrow tries to highlight that recent changes may not apply to older assets.

Either way, people were still using phrases like Unity Assets, Unity Tutorials, Unity XYZ all over on internet. Which is not what guidelines suggested. Suppose to be Assets for Unity, Tutorials for Unity XYZ for Unity etc., which of course no one ever use such naming, if you search internet (Maybe lucky to get some few obscure finds). Even such guidelines were 'in force' for long time already :)

Will that change, I doubt it. Unless someone will step up, to chase trademark infringement on vids and articles.
    In fact, nice potential income ... Lets product get popular, then chaise others, for supporting it.

Edit:
    I just realized, we have diviated from topic
    Unity Price Change in 2020

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Its more than a year ago they introduced those new guidelines. And since there is a review process for assets unity reviewed these and acceped them

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

I remember most of these guidelines from year ago. I thought something regarding written permission and logos has change very recently. That was my impression from earlier discussion.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

No I would say that changed with 2017 or even 5.x

8. I guess I'm blind but I don't see the Unity logo on this image.

AcidArrow and angrypenguin like this.
  9. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is not exactly same. Is very close reassemble.
    I don't know full story, but I can think either coincidence of similar author logo, or author tries to emphases, that these products were made explicitly for Unity.

10. That's more of the Prefab icon than Unity logo.
    2587a2ab-2f43-4839-b130-43cccbbc5328_scaled.jpg yellow-cube-logo-vector.jpg
    https://www.vecteezy.com/free-vector/cube-logo

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  11. kdgalla

kdgalla

Right. One important distinctive feature of the Unity logo is that it's shaped like a cube, but also three arrows at the same time. Just a plain cube is not really the same thing.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  12. Mauri

Mauri

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

14. joshcamas

joshcamas

I'm glad to see Unity is being more protective of their logo and such. However, yeah it's odd that if you're a big ol game you'll need permission to use it, but if you're a shovel-ware game you're required to use it. I feel like going to UE4 approach (requiring permission to use the logo in any product) just makes more sense from a business perspective. Luckily the Unity brand seems to have gotten more positive over the years.

vakabaka likes this.
  15. Antypodish

Antypodish

Unity always had positive news, as well as negative. It depends what type of information you are looking for.

16. joshcamas

joshcamas

Well yeah, I never said it had 100% negative views lmao. What I meant was overall the branding had a pretty low point overall, at least compared to UE4 back in the day.

17. Antypodish

Antypodish

Both engines had pretty different target audience. One was focusing on pretty graphics other not so much.
    But guess who takes 50% of gaming mobile market?

18. joshcamas

joshcamas

They took 50% of the mobile market 6 years ago?

19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

and we all know popular = good.

Soo price hike. I’m seeing people here are loving it. In fact they love it so much, I think they should start charging for Personal as well.

(and then we’ll see what happens to that mobile market share)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019