Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Price Change in 2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hard_code, Oct 17, 2019.

1. hard_code

hard_code

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/10/1...lus-subscriptions-to-change-on-january-1-2020

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Reading the comments on the blog entries always leaves me with the impression that the sole purpose of posting there is to troll because you never see these types of responses on the forums or other community sections. Switching to Godot because of a minor price increase? Really? :p

For anyone else that couldn't remember the current price of Unity Plus is $35/mo and Unity Pro is $125/mo. A very minor price increase for people who aren't making that much but want to remove the splash screen, and a relatively minor price increase for people who can very easily afford it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  3. From the free tier... because the subscribers need to pay more.

My favorite is that "Unity needs to give something in return to avoid backlash, for example free dark skin or not mandatory splash screen". :D
    I can't even.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

I gave the increase a look over and… it's fine. It's not a terribly huge price bump or anything. The change to Plus is, what, five bucks a month? Pro's a bit higher but the people who need pro can afford to eat that cost I think.

5. konsic

konsic

I want to be a pro. I still want to make that great game.

6. Roni92pl

Roni92pl

When I read that it's about price increase, I knew comment section will be gold. I was not disappointed :D

7. Mauri

Mauri

In the end, it's just +$5 for Plus and +$25 for Pro. Not really something to get worked up over, imo.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Says if you already are a subscriber, with a normal subscription, you're basically grandfathered in with the old price still for now.

9. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

These are actually sizable increases percentage wise. The cost of Plus is going up 14%, and the cost of Pro is going up 20%. The existing subscription prices were already a lot more expensive compared to the previous perpetual (and upgrade) licensing model, so increasing the cost of subs by 14-20% is not ideal.

I am happy to know my existing sub rate won't increase at this time, but I expect it will at some point. I personally think Unity would be better off long term if they can find additional opportunities for converting Free customers into Plus customers. I don't think raising the rates for those new subs is going to convince more Free users to upgrade.

JasonBricco likes this.
  10. Player7

Player7

I think the Plus subscription should have gone down -$5 to make up for the crappy 2019.3 flat gui, the dark skin just has less value as the whole thing is off putting and not better visually than pre 2019.3.. that's not just me.

And 40$ will be the lowest subscription option...:rolleyes:

I mean if Unity had a clue they'd make more money out of more free users by just offering a one off purchase for the dark skin to be unlocked for the account.

why would anyone continually pay money for a gui skin every month doesn't see any improvements anyway. You might say the actual engine bugfixes and features bring in improvements you'd pay monthly for but they moved away from that model years ago for a reason.

For me I just look at this as hobbyist point of view, once you get into releasing and publishing a game and making money from it then the Plus/Pro licensing becomes a mute point and it's just the cost of doing business which compared to other engines still isn't that bad. Infact compared to crap from Jetbrains who ask for a yearly license upwards 400$ and still can't even be bothered to implement 9year old feature ticket of a scrollmap bar as seen in other IDE's by default...makes Unity look practically golden compared to some of the other companies in this industry and what they do.. ie F*** all relatively speaking year after year (like Adobe etc useless) in terms of technical stuff added to make it better easier and faster... just not better looking they really F***ed that up.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only if you're paying on a month-by-month basis. Paying on a year-by-year basis will likely make it $30/mo.

I highly doubt it. Past discussions about it have left me with the impression the people who ask for it the most are people who don't actually want to pay anything at all.

A hobbyist this unhappy with the game engine should switch game engines. I can't remember the last time I saw you say anything positive about Unity.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    syscrusher, Socrates, elbows and 5 others like this.
  12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As far as I'm aware, there was never a perpetual license for Plus. I'm sure when Plus and the subscription model started, a good portion of perpetual Pro users converted to Plus (I did), so unless you already were in the $200k+ revenue space you got a discount when subscriptions started.

At $40 for Plus the price is now inline with the cost of a perpetual Pro license, as a perpetual Pro license was good for roughly 3 years before Unity would have a new major release requiring a new perpetual license and cost $1500.

The way I see it, the only people subscriptions and this pricing change are screwing are the Pro subscription users. Outside contractors probably the most, due to having to match their employer's license tier even if their own revenue falls far short.

As far as converting Free customers, Unity's strategy appears to be to not bother trying to convert them and instead monetize them via the Asset Store. Unity offers almost no features for upgrading your license, and uses an honor system to verify eligibility, so I can't blame them for doing it this way. I would bet money that Free users purchase content on the Asset Store at a much higher rate than the Plus/Pro license users.

Ryiah likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's fine. Prices go up deal with it TBH. Great value engine. We can take it.

... and ask for more in exchange of course. In my case I'm asking for top-tier Quest VR perf ;) What one thing do you ask for in exchange for the minor price hike everyone?

14. Karearea

Karearea

I'm a fully converted member of the ECS cult now. A price rise consistent with inflation is more than fair for the insane performance improvements I've been seeing, and to iron out the remaining quirks.

15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

THE HOBBYIST PRICES FOR USING UNITY HAVE INCREASED BY 6000000000%

Fortunately that many percent of zero is still zero. As a hobbyist there is literally nothing to complain about. I suppose it would help if they hurried up with the make an MMO button, but otherwise Unity is doing great.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Better, centralized documentation. Poor documentation is bad enough. Having it spread out is even worse.

17. spryx

spryx

Tbh... I like the plus subscription much more than pro back in the 4.x days. Upgrading then was at least $750 for me. Not to mention the $1500 initial cost. And discounted at that.

The comments are most likely from users who weren't planning on subscriptions anyway. Seriously, for most of us it's what... +$25? Sadly, I give way more than that to Starbucks in a single month.

18. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I only ever see you being negative about unity on these forums, if you really are a hobbyist, why dont you just switch engines? I just dont understand why anyone can be this annoyed with the engine with no financial commitment to it and then still stick around constantly.

If its not working for you and your not using this for your dayjob or a major project, you have nothing to lose by changing engine so why dont you try that out and perhaps youll have a more fun time?

I definately think hobbyists should be trying to use an engine they enjoy because gamedev should be fun not a chore, and I think from the tone and content from majority of your comments perhaps you may have more fun with something else?

Didnt mean that in a negative way btw just trying to see if theres a way you can get more enjoyment out of this :)

syscrusher, angrypenguin and Socrates like this.
  19. iamthwee

iamthwee

Sublime Text FTW.

20. EbonDust

EbonDust

Well, I cant say Im to happy about price increase as a plus user. While 60$ a year is not that much the total for plus license now seems a little bit expensive for dark skin and removing of unity logo from splashscreen.

21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Lol thats not what your paying for plus for though are you? You pay for plus to be able to use unity to earn above $100,000 a year, which makes the assumption you are already operating at a professional level which is what removal of logo is for. This is a minor cost for anyone operating as such. Dark theme is simply a bonus in that retrospect.

syscrusher and deliquescator like this.
  22. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The price hike is fine for people who are happy with Unity.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sadly a lot of people are unhappy no matter the engine and those people aren't to blame but it's just the stars are conspiring against them. For example a person might need the exact things that are fab in engine A but not in engine B, and vice versa so that person can't really win. This is common but I'm not really sure how to fix that.

It affects me too for what it's worth. But when we talk about what is worth something, it's illogical to point fingers at Unity when Adobe and Autodesk are hell bent on robbing indies blind.

I'll worry when Unity raise prices higher than the original Pro, for indies. So far that's really not happening.

24. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The plus is not only for people who make more than 100k, it's mainly for dark skin and logo removal in my case. I don't make any money while developing.

deliquescator and JasonBricco like this.
  25. konsic

konsic

Who knows, Unreal 5 and Cryengine 6 might as well raise theirs pricing formula.
    When big change to the engine ships, this almost happens always.

26. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am curious, is there a shame for anyone, showing Unity logo?
    Or is that some weird mentality.

If game is good, should not be ashamed partnering with others. Or is it?

27. Havokki

Havokki

All games with personal edition show the logo and most of them are quite low quality, so people made the connection of "Unity = bad". I have myself heard many people say this (either face-to-face or in streams and such).

That is one of the reasons I pay for Plus.

EDIT: I don't have analytics to prove if having the logo would affect whether people actually play the game or not.
    EDIT2: And clients also don't want Unity logo visible.

28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Many people have come to associate the logo with not that great games. which is a shame. ;)
    I don't mind showing the logo before my game, but if I make an art installation or something for a client I don't necessary want to show it.

Joe-Censored and Socrates like this.
  29. Antypodish

Antypodish

Appreciate for an answers.

However, people don't turn off game, because of logo. Specially in first few seconds of running app.
    They turn off, if game is bad itself.
    So I doubt anyone will tell your game is bad, because you got logo.

Is just the fact, people make low effort games with free Unity, that associates logo with it.
    And yet, people know / find out quickly, weather logo or not, which engine been used.

Does anyone has actually prove, that same game with logo and without, will make difference in popularity?
    I think is fairly hard to prove such case. I only see that feasible, is someone just changed logo without anything else, during game being already on the market for some time.

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Adobe and Autodesk are far easier to avoid than Unity at this point though.
    Original pro was 1500$ and they released a new paid version every two years, so I would argue we're already over what the original pro was costing.

31. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

It changes the first-impression though. Which IS important. If you go in with the mentality "Oh great, another crappy Unity game..", you blow out issues way out of proportion. You start to nitpick about things that wouldn't have bothered you otherwise.

Karmak likes this.
  32. EbonDust

EbonDust

Well, I also thought that logo should not make a difference but apparently there is a lot of negativity asiociated with unity logo at splash screen. I have seen negative reviews for games that showed this logo that went something like that: "1/5 stars, seen unity logo at the start and uninstalled/refunded". The first time the plus option was introduced there was also no 200k limit increase included, so plus is mostly just paying for removal of the logo.

33. hard_code

hard_code

I think unity is becoming more and more accepted by the gaming community and younger kids. I see a lot of positive comments on youtube and HDRP showcases.

My personal anecdote is My nephew saw unity on my computer when he visited and told me all his friends learned unity and they even teach it in a lot of high schools in his area. He's one of those typical teenage avid gamers so I was surprised he did not say anything negative about it.

Socrates likes this.
  34. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I had to check if I had plus or pro and I have plus. I have actually probably saved money because of all the assets I bought and plus decreases the cost by some %. I only had plus to remove the splash screen though I dunno

Socrates likes this.
  35. aer0ace

aer0ace

And this is a very good thing. However, there are still a lot of core gamers that don't care about game development, and want a quality game, and will still make the logo association. I think it's just a matter of time until gamers truly dissociate the logo with bad games, and that would only be helped by larger AAA releases using the engine, hence the DOTS angle.

hard_code likes this.
  36. aer0ace

aer0ace

Why is everyone still stuck on 100k? It's 200k. Aspire to be better!

37. Antypodish

Antypodish

I bet more shouts badly in recent years about once upon time great AAA studios, than some minorities about Unity.

Haters will hate. No matter what.

hard_code likes this.
  38. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sure :)

39. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Here you go...

As an user of Unity Personal, I want you, Unity Technologies, to pay me, because free is not good enough anymore! If I don't get $15/month for using Unity personal, I must switch to GoNot or Undeal as soon as possible. There you even get a dark theme. You leave me no choice.

Ryiah and konsic like this.
  40. neoshaman

neoshaman

The price is fine, it's a flat curve, and engine is actually free, just pay at the end of dev if you want to remove splash

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I use Unity pro, will most certainly fit the Unity logo in somewhere but I'm feeling custom like films do sometimes. I did that already with the other brothers and physynth so why break the trend. I like to weave the logos into the content though and these days I will probably not be so known by whoever's been hired since and will have to actually ask for permission :D

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  42. konsic

konsic

I expect Unity Technologies makes 4th module called Unity Ultimate where critical thinking users get 14,99/month.
    This Unity will come with blue skin and fast real time no-bake GI.
    Critical thinking initiative

43. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

44. neoshaman

neoshaman

I just like that permission is automatic for crap level personal edition low level asset flip, that's branding for you

45. Antypodish

Antypodish

I doubt anyone cares about it.

I just see everywhere content online all, but following such "branding" rules.
    Is it more like dead law and acts as guidelines.
    I doubt chasing anyone not following it, would be any good for Unity itself.
    In the end, anything is just free marketing.

46. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean it's the clearest thing Unity has ever stated, but somehow they don't care? They don't care, but they recently overhauled their branding page to say this?

47. Antypodish

Antypodish

Empty words, untill I see YouTube vids and endless resources online, being actually affected. Made software with Unity is not only thing is/should be affected, if to follow rules.

It just opens legal doors for Unity, if ever anything comes to dispute.

48. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah, sure, use the logo everywhere, until someone at Unity wakes up one day and says, "YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE NICE TODAY? IF WE ENFORCED THE GUIDELINES" and then you have to change your games everywhere.

The intent on the guidelines is clear. I don't know why anyone would want to be on the mercy of Unity deciding to enforce them or not.

49. Antypodish

Antypodish

I am not saying anyone should avoid following guidelines. Is just, that not everyone follows and doesn't seems to be any big deal.

50. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Antypodish likes this.