Search Unity

Unity Powers Scion's Ultimate Car Customization Experience

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HiggyB, Sep 9, 2010.

1. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

While this original intent of Unity was to be a game engine we definitely understand that it has much broader appeal and usage potential than just games. If you look around the Unity community and at the content being created you'll see more and more non-game content, things like data visualization, medical visualization, training and simulation, etc. Today we are excited to announce that Scion of Canada is now using Unity to power new experiences for their customers who want to customize their vehicles. Seems pretty cool to us!

For more information, check out the press release we put out today:

Unity Powers Scion's Ultimate Car Customization Experience

Kudos and thanks to Works Zebra for their work with Scion on this project!

2. screenhogdotcom

screenhogdotcom

Wow... that's an amazing demo. The ground is strangely pixelated, which I don't care for, but the car itself is very well done.

3. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

Very detailed! lovely integration!

4. konzon

konzon

I noticed the customization app doesn't reveal that it is running the Unity player. Did they hack that out? Were they able to get around the plug-in download? I see from the press release that they incorporated their visualization pipeline into Unity. Did they have access to the source code, or was this simply a shader/scripting exercise?

Very nice work BTW. I especially enjoyed the realism of the paint reflections along with the interactive parts swapout.

Any insight you are able to share on the player questions would be most appreciated. Cheers!

5. konzon

konzon

Any chance they would be willing to share their efforts through a presentation in Montreal? Yah baby! That would rock.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

It is exceedingly simple to change the web player loading screen, and you likely already had the plugin installed, thus it appeared as if they'd hidden our branding but they are just using offered features. So no, they had no source code access they've just read the docs and done good work! :)

I do believe we're talking with them about a Unite presentation. Y'all haven't seen their best work either! They (Works Zebra) did a presentation at SIGGRAPH this year in ATI's booth for their new high-end video cards. It was one demo, on one computer that was shown on three large flat screen TVs, each 1920 pixels across. But the card treated it as one monitor that was 5760 pixels wide (and 1200 pixels tall)! It was a car driving across a bridge with a zoom-in view showing the vehicle as fully photo-real and full size.

Oh, it was a browser-based app running full screen! :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. jajaish

jajaish

(my first post here!!)

trying to make some time so my boys can be there in montreal for sure. as for the scion project - exciting would be an understatement. we'll try to explain our techniques, team, everything we can.

as for the demo Higgy is talking about... if you thought the scion stuff was cool (no doubt it is...), wait for unite :) and yep - there were three 50" flat panels connected to one graphics board each at 1080P... at almost 60FPS...

8. konzon

konzon

Only 50"?

Can't wait to see it. :)

We built an online app in flash that customized our konstruction vehicles for kids. We really struggled with the 3D to to 2.5D workflow. Eventually we came up with a reasonable approach. When I saw the Scion accessories fly in and the car change right there, my heart skipped a beat...

9. Jessy

Jessy

This is awesome. I can't stand dealing with salespeople trying to suck $$$$ out of me, so Scion is the brand I go with. Nice to see two brands I like working together. :)

10. taumel

taumel

And due to a lack of critical features and reliability, Unity can be a pain in realising such projects with it. Hopefully, Unity will some day recognise this and take the appropriate steps.

11. Foxxis

Foxxis

Is it just me or is the site not working properly at the moment?

12. gjosefosky

gjosefosky

Seems to be down. Too bad, I really wanted to see this.