Search Unity

Unity Plus w/ Bolt ... is this the Visual Scripting horse Unity is betting on?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobG88, Mar 23, 2018.

1. RobG88

RobG88

I tried to go back and to find my fact, but I'll have to say from memory, I believe is was Austin Unite 2017, 4-5 months ago, that Lucas Meijer (*I THINK*) said something along the lines that based on Unity standards and what was in the asset store at the time, there wasn't any viable contender when it came to Visual Scripting and Unity was going to be working on their own.

Now, with all the marketing around going Unity Plus and getting BOLT as the tool which will help you publish sooner, I have to ask, is BOLT the horse Unity is betting on in the Visual Scripting race?

2. orb

orb

It certainly smells like it. Countdown to acquisition already started :)

tnydwrds and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Dunno didn't Unity promote playmaker previously? Regardless I rolled my own. I would still prefer a native solution if it will cut down on code I must maintain.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yep
    I do remember this.
    I don't remember this.
    IDK though - Unity acquisitions have always (for me) been surprising - kind of instant. Like TextMeshPro and Anima2D - and the recent Probuilder and ?what was the other one? - Polybrush - just pleasant surprises. :)

5. orb

orb

PlayMaker is all about state machines, Bolt is more or less 1:1 translations of code flow. I think there are FSMs in there too, but they're very different approaches to visual programming. PM is a more linear approach to FSMs, and might work better for non-programmers. The octopus-like node systems in Bolt might still scare off people who are afraid of electronics ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.