Search Unity

Unity Plus disables my serial -- not a service but a device-linked software

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by uani, Jan 3, 2019.

1. uani

uani

I cannot use my Projects on my Desktop anymore after signing in to Unity on my Laptop over the Holidays.

I'm aggravated Unity 3D is not a Service as it is negligent not made clear by Unity Advertising but apparently a device-linked Software.

2. uani

uani

And accessing a contact mean on the Website is S***ty.

3. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. uani

uani

well, no.

My 1 seat has 2 activated devices -- Desktop and Laptop.

A Service may not be Bound to a device.

5. uani

uani

How is the ticket request reachable through clicks on links starting from the start page?

6. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

What? So you buy one seat and two dozen of the fellow developers can use the same seat?

The support form is reachable from https://support.unity3d.com/ as always were.
    It also reachable through https://unity3d.com/learn/support (unity3d.com page, Learn section, Support section)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You can be signed in on both your desktop and laptop at the same time, just not a third device. Use the links already posted to remove whatever Unity thinks that third device is (it could be the same desktop as before, but enough hardware or software changes could be making Unity think it is a different device than before by the way).

Why would you make that assumption?

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Contact". It is a pretty standard place most companies have been putting it lately.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Isn't it equally negligent of you not to have read the license agreement? Unity's license makes it very clear (Section 1.2 of the Software Additional Terms) that the software can only be installed on two devices.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service (has link to Software Additional Terms)
    https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software (has the relevant section with the information)

It's common within the IT industry (especially for business and enterprise licenses) to limit the number of devices an app can be installed on. Windows, for example, can only be installed on one computer per license. Adobe's Creative Cloud can only be installed on two computers. WinRAR can only be installed on one computer for business (unlimited for home).

Once upon a time many high dollar application per-device limits were even enforced with physical hardware in the form of a dongle that attached to the ports you had (parallel ports were very common because you could daisy chain the dongles, but serial port dongles existed too).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_protection_dongle

Go read the license agreements you've been agreeing to when you've purchased or subscribed to an application. It's way more common than you think it is for the software to have a per-device limitation even if it isn't strictly enforced.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  10. uani

uani

Software != Service

If Unity wants to make the Software device Bound, fine, but that would contradict its promise that ones Projects are owned by oneself if they cannot be opened anymore -- the creative assembly of GOs is an owned Project, thus it ought be accessible.

A Service sort of by definition is not tangible.

Or make the Service Bound to device but not the Software for ones Projects can be opened but Cloud is unavailable for example.

What inpolite assumptions are you making? I already stated only 2 devices are listed because I only have 2 devices. An d I don't even require Plus, I did it to support Unity.

Others making contact "invisible" doesn't justify Unity making it or even arrogantly requiring to be familiar with "others". Their contact page leaves a huge Question mark what to click and once one clicks Support, at first seemingly the same page is loaded again. There then requests can be made but I expect better. Of Course making Support better is at Unity discretion.

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Can you try again? Grammar please "A Service sort of by definition is not tangible." "that would contradict its promise that ones Projects are owned by oneself if they cannot be opened anymore -- the creative assembly of GOs is an owned Project, thus it ought be accessible." "Others making contact "invisible" doesn't justify Unity making it or even arrogantly requiring to be familiar with "others". "And accessing a contact mean on the Website is S***ty." Who is being mean? Sorry, I don't understand any of these sentences.