Search Unity

Unity, please fire the team that implements native iOS features

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Dmitry-Pyalov, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

Please accept the fact that these features are not important to you and stop making people rely on you.
    You did manage to:
    1. Convert floats to string in Mac's current culture while making AppIcon asset thus having commas instead of dots on some devices.
    2. Break On-Demand Resources - they simply don't work
    3. Break storyboard splash screens - the tick does nothing (I guess you rely on a hardcoded name, but I don't have time to prove it to you)
    4. Break Menu button behavior on Apple Siri Remote. I see you say that you've fixed this in 2018.4.6, but you know, I don't trust you - because my workaround works and yours might be poorly tested as the features above.

I don't know how many of your features are broken, as I try not to use the ones you provide and write my own custom plugins - never failed me.

I won't send you any bug reports, as I've wasted enough time finding workarounds for your broken stuff and simply don't have spare time to write these reports.

So please, stop delivering these features at all and let us, developers, implement them ourselves. As it seems that some of those feature were never tested at all.

I might seem a bit emotional, but I would look at you when you have to deal with broken yet declared features for several months in a row.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't know if you're doing a different thing, but you might be able to fix this by going to Build Settings -> Packaging -> Product Bundle Identifier and adding your bundle id there.

Had to figure that one out to make gamecenter not crash when resuming after you view the achievements and then be unable to open it a second time.

Other than that, while I disagree with the sentiment in the title, no-one should get fired, (somehow I doubt Unity management is pushing for them to be on top of iOS Native (or android for that matter) things, and the developers themselves are dragging their feet), I too am frustrated with how all mobile native features are either:
    -out of date
    -do not work
    -do not exist
    -buggy
    -work properly, if the stars align.
    And that with all updates, even on LTS, the state of the above might change randomly.

3. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

The problem is not with Product Bundle Identifier - this is a minor. The problem is than Unity somehow tags or packages ODR wrong so the resources are not available when you try to access them. We tried to workaround it as much as it was possible with no success.

So in the end we've implemented our own support for ODR and it works like a swiss clock and also conforms to Apple guidelines, where Unity's implementation does not.

My idea is that those features are not even normal (of course not top) priority for Unity. That is why they are implemented once, poorly tested and never supported. But we, developers, rely on them because they are declared as working. So it would be better for us if those features never existed at all.

P.S.
    And using Current Culture converting float to string while writing to a non-human readable file - is a facepalm.

4. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

Unity, you screwed up again with 2018.4.6.
    Making that B button on Apple TV return to home screen uncancelable.
    Did you even test this?

5. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

Hey Dmitry, any chance you'd like to share your working ODR code? I've been bashing my head against the wall for a couple weeks trying to get this to work now...

6. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

Yet another Unity's "native iOS team" F***-up.
    This is the code from official "Sign-In With Apple" plugin from Unity.
    Do you see anything strange?
    Снимок экрана 2020-01-23 в 13.45.54.png

7. Mauri

Mauri

Not sure what the point of this thread is, other than being a personal rant diary. You're not helping in any way.

8. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

Yes, this is a personal rant diary of a developer who had much pain dealing with Unity's iOS features implementations.
    And a warning to all the other developers who want to rely on Unity's iOS feature implementations.

9. dispatch_starlost

dispatch_starlost

I eventually gave up on ODR and used an AWS delivery method. Works fine and costs peanuts.

10. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov