Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unity Player crash on Video Player

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ruiyl, May 30, 2020.

1. ruiyl

ruiyl

Hi, our game use Unity VideoPlayer to play some videos in the game. Some customers reported that their games crashed.
    When we investigated the problem, we found that the player crashed by the VideoPlayer. The problem was found on both Windows 7 and 10. However, we cannot reproduce the problem on our machines at all. So, I asked the customers to send log files to us.
    Still, we could not make much sense from the crash so I decided to post it here. I attached player.log, error.log, and crash.dmp from a user here.

Attached Files:

2. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi!

I believe the error that caused the VideoPlayer to crash with the error mentioned in the log has been fixed in 2019.3.9f1. The log you provided shows the build is using 2019.3.0f6 so updating could address the crash. So updating the build to use a later version of Unity is likely to improve the situation.

However, the fundamental problem is that the video appears not to be supported by the system. When we saw this problem in the past, it was because a movie with 10-bits content (as opposed to the much more common 8-bits content) was being used, and this is not generally supported by Microsoft's H.264 video decoder. So the fix was about "surviving" the use of such unsupported videos, but this will still not result in a successful video playback.

The Player.log also shows that the graphics driver for the user's AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics is at version
    16.101.1201.1007. Looking here:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft...updateid=7336d4e5-9f53-4a85-94a7-3e7aece7ac90

this appears to be more than 4 years old, so possibly a driver update will improve the video support for this graphics hardware.

Hope this helps and let us know what you find!

Dominique Leroux
    A/V developer at Unity

3. ruiyl

ruiyl

Hi, @DominiqueLrx

Currently, I'm using 2019.3.13f1 right now. And, the build that the client used was built with this version as well. So, I'm wondering which part of the game that you mention was from 2019.3.0f6. So that I can go update it.

Regarding the videos, I can try to transform them into the supported format then I will let you know if the problem persists.

4. DominiqueLrx

DominiqueLrx

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Sorry about the version confusion; just looked again at the logs and they are indeed reporting 2019.3.13f1. So this only leaves us with seeing to have the latest drivers installed and also giving it a try with the latest 2019.4, which does have a few more video-related fixes that 2019.3.x doesn't have.

So if none of these experiments proves fruitful, then I'd encourage you to submit a bug so we can have a closer look.

Dominique

5. xT1TANx

xT1TANx

I am also having this issue on IOS using 2019.4.4f1

RAW_MUSASHI likes this.
  6. Warptobelt1

Warptobelt1

We also have this error in Unity 2019.4.17f1, in both our live game as well as in a sample app.

app crashes in samsung galaxy s9 after watching the video 22 times 100% of the time.

7. ruiyl

ruiyl

@DrZeepam is it this issue? If it is, try updating unity and build the game again.