Search Unity

Official Unity plan pricing and packaging updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Aug 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDuoQIng

MrDuoQIng

I can't imagine how they made this decision,One day you will pay for your arrogance

2. nikefootbag

nikefootbag

After 8 years with Unity i’m switching to Godot, so much so i’m supporting them like many other ex-Unity users are today.

Attached Files:

Astha666, atomicjoe, grofie and 4 others like this.
  3. hurleybird

hurleybird

Hard to say what the internal politics are, but yes, almost certainly unlikely. More likely that he is canned after the financial repercussions of this incident materialize rather than anything proactive. No harm in advocating though.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Oh great, they're going to take that as a challenge. ;) "New terms: now Unity is pay per click! Every time a gamer presses a button in your game, you owe us 1¢."

--Eric

Astha666, Ryiah, RUNTIME_FEE and 5 others like this.
  5. Siwone

Siwone

This just sounds like Game Pass, Steam and all other platforms will no longer be taking on Unity games if they're on the hook for paying based on install counts.
    I think it's pretty f*cking clear at this point that THIS isn't the right value exchange.

The only way I see Unity as an engine surviving this is if Unity as a company shuts down and sells the engine to some private company that will take on the development of it. It is very clear that going public and trying to satisfy investors doesn't work for long-term viability of a game engine.

Ony likes this.
  6. ZigMarch

ZigMarch

Why do I have to hope that people who buy my game don't install it?
    Unity and Unity users are stupid.

Meltdown likes this.
  7. waldgeist

waldgeist

In my inbox, reading the announcement.

8. grrava

grrava

I have always been a Unity advocate and enjoyed working with it a lot. I made quite some games with it. I also teach 200+ students every year in Unity.

It saddens me this happend and I hope it gets completely cancelled. If not I have no choice but Unreal. And I don't like Unreal at all.

9. Laicasaane

Laicasaane

A dark period for the Unity community. Suddenly my Unity open-sourced libraries become useless because it will soon come the day when no one is interested in them anymore.

cLick1338, DungDajHjep and ZigMarch like this.
  10. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

This is TGEA (Torque Game Engine Advanced) all over again. like back in 2016 or so.

11. SpaceDoubt

SpaceDoubt

Who are you helping?

ncr100 and brownjoel1988 like this.
  12. impheris

impheris

are you 100% sure? i'm asking because i have a project right now, for android, i will sell my game for less than 5$, not IAP not ads, personal license

13. FlaSh-G

FlaSh-G

As someone who worked and works for F2P game studios, after 15 years of using Unity, it's now really time for me to get into godot and/or unreal. Just to be safe. Because no matter what the actual numbers are, this move is massively eroding the trust that is needed for a company to commit on making their games with Unity. It's just way too risky to partner up with a company that uses installs as a metric for engine fees and then applies such massive changes retroactively. Who knows what changes you will come up with in the future that affect the games we will be working on for the next few years.

As someone who wants to stay able to find jobs in the industry, Unity just became a nice-to-have rather than the go-to.

14. MattCarr

MattCarr

Their response there is just another example of how this wasn't thought out at all. They can't demand money from Microsoft or other storefronts for distributing games when those companies didn't agree to the TOS that the game developer did. They've lost the plot.

Also they say that sort've thing there, but then clearly state it's the developers that are paying in other responses.

They don't know what their message is and now we all have to sit around and wait for the big brains at the top of Unity to realise they messed up and come up with the new fantastically clarified version of this in the next 1-2 days that will still be garbage, but they'll present it as beneficial to us and come apologetically with hat and hand and expect us to accept it.

15. meeelting

meeelting

This new deal is unthinkable. I'm moving on. I put 10 years into this engine, I got my whole tech stack built around it. Even if could somehow make this work, what happens a year down the line when you people wanna up the financials a bit more? What if I want to move on gamepass, will you take my entire earning? It's a rough industry as it is, even more so in the current economy!

Is it more than having to relearn my toolset into a new engine? With these new costs, and no idea of knowing whats incoming... I'm thinking its not.

I've lost my trust in Unity.

Astha666, atomicjoe, FlaSh-G and 7 others like this.
  16. impheris

impheris

for what i understand, you only need to pay for the paid game, the free game is not making any money to you, so you do not have to pay, that is what i understand

17. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber

Charging per install comes with a ton of potential issues;
    1. Malicious users just hate-install a game to bankrupt a developer (Reinstalls get charged, too)
    2. Pirated games will likely cost the developer to install
    3. Tracking installs may be an invasion of privacy for the end user, we don't know how they're tracking installs
    4. How are Unity tracking revenue? Will they count a developers income as a whole such as Patreon, Ko-Fi, etc?
    It's just a very messy plan that's clearly just a way for them to drain even more money from developers that use their engine. This is all on top of their existing monthly payments.

My current project will be the last I'll be developing with Unity.
    Using their engine is clearly a financial risk to indie developers and it's difficult to see them as a serious competitor anymore.

ArawnDev, Ony and CliffCawley like this.
  18. RunicPixels

RunicPixels

Q: What's going to stop us being charged for pirated copies of our games?
    A: We do already have fraud detection practices in our Ads technology which is solving a similar problem, so we will leverage that know-how as a starting point. We recognize that users will have concerns about this and we will make available a process for them to submit their concerns to our fraud compliance team.

This basically reads as "that's your own issue, sort it out". Well, guess there's no better time than now to learn Godot.

Astha666, Spasmoth, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  19. Glader

Glader

I feel it's so much worse than that. I feel like it's only the begining, they will chase more revenue and growth. Where else can they squeeze it from without providing services we want to pay for? By retroactively tacking on taxes, fees, and costs to existing titles. By nickle and diming us in more ways to come. They are only going to come up with more fees and sometimes not even for something new! Just a new fee on something that already exists such as the Unity3D runtime lol.

Not to mention these new fees will be sudden and unexpected and worst of all retroactive! Pray they do not edit the agreement further I guess.

Astha666 and nikefootbag like this.
  20. tachyon-particle

tachyon-particle

To all devs, keep the spirit alive ...

Godot is a cross-platform, free, and open-source game engine ...

Help grow the ecosystem and making it an industry standard for the future!

I wish you all the best!

21. manutoo

manutoo

It'll happen if the stock noticeably goes down.

The stock will go down if other stores like SideQuest make similar announcements to the one shown in a previous post.

Steam will likely do one soon enough.

January 1st 2024 will likely not happen.

This is war.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  22. NullEgo

NullEgo

Step 1) Buy stock in Unity Technologies
    Step 2) Buy Unity game on Steam
    Step 3) Never actually run the game
    Step 4) Set up a script to repeatedly install and uninstall game for a month
    Step 5) Refund the game because you have under 2 hours of play time
    Step 6) Repeat until stock price is high enough in value
    Step 7) Sell stock

I really want to meet the troglodyte who must've thought this pricing model was a revolutionarily good idea. How can you have so little understanding of the technology you are supporting and basic economics.

23. HellsPlumber

HellsPlumber

Exactly. Even if they reverse this the damage has been done. Every update from them is worse and worse news for developers.

The fact that such a damaging change can effect existing games is terrifying. Knowing they're capable of things like this destroys any trust. As you said, they could make another change in future when they want more money and just decide you owe them x-amount if they see fit and financially ruin you. They've proven they're willing to.

24. HandsMechanical

HandsMechanical

Lmao Ritichello is an out of touch clown and this is an appallingly stupid decision even compared to Unity's already awful track record of decision making and corporate strategy over the last few years. Nice knowing you Unity engine.

25. XEDORA

XEDORA

Wow.
    I never saw a company desperate for an alternative to itself.

hurleybird, reComrade and Odetsu like this.
  26. grofie

grofie

Can only agree with the other people posting here. Time to change the engine.

It is a shame, the stock-driven turbo-capitalism only aiming for the quick dollar now will also destroy Unity. It just does not make sense in the long run.

Maybe it is not a problem for big Studios, 20 Cent on a 60 Dollar title does not hurt. But what about people selling games in the app stores for a bug? No chance of getting profitable anymore. Besides all the other problems people raised.

nikefootbag and Odetsu like this.
  27. Davidnovarro

Davidnovarro

My game generates 1 mln downloads per month with 0.01$ per install.

How my company is going to exist?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  28. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

Next up: pay Unity 0.001$ for every frame per second rendered in engine for every user...
    The questions would be like:
    -Do we have to pay even for the fps when the Unity logo is on screen??
    -The moment you press quit still counts if the app takes a some time to close?
    The answers would be like:
    -Yes of course, actually the first 5 million fps are 0.002$
    -Still counts, make small games if you want them to quit faster. Also you pay for Unity Pro you can limit your fps up to 10 so you won't have to pay as much.

See you in 5 years when this post sounds better than what's actually happening with Unity pricing ^^

Meltdown, NTDev4, milox777 and 4 others like this.
  29. JTAU

JTAU

Really disappointed with this change, there is so much uncertainty and the per-install thing seems completely open to abuse.

I have some questions

1) How does unity define one game? For example how does it know "this is the demo for GameA" and this is the full game of "GameA"? Is it by the executable name? Do you have to register your game somewhere?

2) How does unity know when two games are different, is a sequel counted as a separate game? "GameA" and "GameA: The Return"?

3) How can unity possibly determine if a runtime is a pirated copy, a demo, or a full game? Most games don't have DRM, even on Steam most games use basic authentication. So how on earth can unity determine whether something has been pirated, or legitimately installed?

4) If Unity can't track re-installs due to anonymous data, how does it determine what "One Install" is, and how does it know not to charge again when someone opens that same runtime a second time on the same device?

5) Does unity treat patches/updates to games as new installs?

6) Does unity treat different branches as new installs? For example on Steam players can switch to different branches on a game which does an update. How will Unity make sure you aren't charged for an extra install there?

This per install aspect has so many potential flaws.

TigerHix likes this.
  30. Ahab_

Ahab_

People who believe that sanctions or the intervention of the European Union will solve the problem are mistaken. Often, large tech companies absorb these penalties and persist in their illegal practices, as they still reap profits at the end of the day.
    Is Unity a big tech company? Don't think so. Will the EU come to the rescue? Don't think so. Is this the final state of this situation? Don't think so. Will I check and see if other engines are worth the change? Totally.

Astha666 and TigerHix like this.
  31. shaneharris

shaneharris

Hi, I'm the CEO of SideQuest.

I just want to say here and now that my platform does not authorize Unity to use any data obtained from us to determine a per install fee. Our downloads are referred to as "clicks" on our site, and do not constitute a download or install of the game. Any data you obtain from our platform for the purposes of determining these absurd install fee calculations will be met with a lawsuit instantly.

Stick that up your pipe and smoke it.

32. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

I’ve been using Unity since Unity 3 - that’s 13 years. I’ve paid for most of that time.

Once we finish the current game we are shifting to Unreal. It’s going to cost us a year in time to switch.

I’m least pissed off about the price increase for pro but more so for the insane unilateral license change. I’ve lost all trust in this company and I’m not willing to peg hundreds of thousands of dollars in dev time on a company that can alter its terms on a whim.

This has gone the same way as Autodesk and it just forced everyone elsewhere.

Astha666, Ony, atomicjoe and 5 others like this.
  33. Komikom

Komikom

In the end, this is completly unenforceable.

1) Developer makes and sells a game
    2) Unity will charge the developer Runtime Fee
    3) Developer disputes this fee and takes it to the court
    4) Court will require Unity reveal they systems, how they acquire the numbers
    5) Court will reveal that Unity is ilegally collecting user end-data without said end-user agreement
    6) Runtime Fee is not enforceable
    12) CEO gets fired

Thaina, arachnidLeo, manutoo and 3 others like this.
  34. Woolf

Woolf

And now the funny thing. I'm from Russia. And I don't get anything from installations in the EU and the USA because of sanctions, but I earn money from installations in China, India and Russia.
    Does this mean that I will need to turn off the "richest countries"?

lclemens, Spasmoth and hurleybird like this.
  35. jdg23

jdg23

Let's say we make an interactive app for a museum and we get paid 200 K USD to develop that app.

That app makes 10M installs.

Do we pay the fees ? Who pays ? Us or our client the Museum ??

With Personal or Plus that would cost more than a 1M USD so way more than what we earned making the app and there is just no way the Client will accept to pay that fee on top of the dev budget.

With Pro, we pay 180K USD, wich again is just not feasible in that case.

Or we pay nothing because it's not a "game" ??

S301, manutoo, Spasmoth and 3 others like this.
  36. DungDajHjep

DungDajHjep

Nice !

oxyverse and TigerHix like this.
  37. crol

crol

But after that you will pay for installs.
    400K USD if its 2 mil installs :D

HINSDevelopment likes this.
  38. tanadol

tanadol

Am I right?
    1) The game is sold for $2 each
    2) player installs it on 11 devices.
    3) Now Unity receives your entire sales revenue, plus an additional $0.2 that you owe them. :eek:

JellyBay, Staksn, ToxPlayers and 2 others like this.
  39. Davidnovarro

Davidnovarro

40. Siwone

Siwone

That's a nice clarification to have. I guess I'll go with Unreal for now.

Astha666, IBCG, manutoo and 2 others like this.
  41. Ninjaneer

Ninjaneer

Hey, John. Yes you. John Riccitiello.

Step the F*** down and stop ruining people's livelihoods.

Astha666, oxyverse, JellyBay and 7 others like this.
  42. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I wish it could do consoles.

43. Ahab_

Ahab_

Oh man, godot data in google trends in the region of China and how it changed recently really shows something... You gotta keep flooding the android store with those ad-packed games no matter how ;)

44. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

wow...
    When Riccitiello joined Unity there were jokes about pricing by the number of times you will open the game engine. Well s**t!

But lt's be honest, this has soooo many problems is hard to imagine how they thought it was a good idea:
    - no consultation with the developers (maybe big companies?!).
    - a lot of unexplained stuff left out and a lot of confusion
    - install counting has a lot of problems: review bombing can really hurt the developer by installing and uninstalling, piracy can hurt the developer, mobile games may earn less than the price per install;
    - another pricing model change in a relatively short time. Unreal is 5% for as long i can remember. Unity changes waaay to much and retroactively I might add..
    - dropping plus is a very bad decision. we don't have an option between personal and pro (which may be waaay to expensive).
    - they charge old shipped games. i'm now a lawyer but this seams like a contract breach. they might be a lot of legal trouble with this pricing policy.
    - Unity will have to send data and can't be deactivated. is that legal?! will this mean that games will be pissed off? From what i know, the user must have the possibility to NOT send anonymous data. google, MS etc have that. how will Unity comply with the EU / USA etc laws?! Am I missing something ? because i don't think they can.

They probably choose this model to be cheaper than Unreal and it is IF the install are counted correctly, piracy is eliminated from the counter and it's install per game not in total (that's the case from what I understand). of course for mobile games theres a different story and again a big IF. Big companie for desktop and console , maybe even mobile will stay because the cost is lower than Unreal, but mobile game devs (who are the majority in Unity's case) are very likely to leave....

They will probably clarify some stuff, change the pricing a little after the backlash and that's it. It not the first time we have this. But that itself proves that they don't know the people they are selling the product to, which is really bad.

I really hate Epic, but there's a humble bundle with some books on it and... well... i'll give it a try. Probably will not change (will just drop my Plus subscription and use Personal), but still looking at another engine seams to be a good idea, unfortunately.

ArawnDev, oxyverse, Argument and 3 others like this.
  45. HandsMechanical

HandsMechanical

And when a person decides they have a grudge against you or your game, they can just write a script to deploy virtual devices/VMs with a randomized vpn connection, install the game, tear it down and do it all over again and then leaves it running for a month and racks up thousands or tens of thousands of malicious installs that are fundamentally indistinguishable from any other install?

Everything about this is just utterly braindead and shows how completely Riccitiello and co misunderstand their users and market. Which was already obvious with the acquisition, focus on AI, his general track record of making idiotic statements etc, but good lord. Just nuked any scrap of goodwill or trust your actual users had left. What a shame.

TigerHix likes this.
  46. goodspeed2012

goodspeed2012

This NEW pricing system will destroy Unity's developer ecosystem.
    • Unity's greatest strength is a community built by outstanding individual developers who openly share various technologies and resources. This pricing system will drive many excellent developers away.
    • This pricing system makes developers wary of 100,000 installs/month from the moment they start using Unity, because everyone knows that 100,000 or even 1,000,000 app installs or downloads might not bring in much revenue. What it destroys is the hope and aspirations of the developers.
    • The right approach is to help developers make money, and then take a share of the earnings.
    • App download fraud is easy to commit, but tracking and identifying fraudulent downloads is difficult.

47. impheris

impheris

if your game is free, you are not making money, so you do not have to pay, i guess you need to think and do the maths before making your game f2p

48. Murmer

Murmer

No, you forgot to calculate income tax and platform cut... It works out worse than that.

49. milox777

milox777

I sincerely hope this is some bad late April Fool's joke. This is absolutely insane greedy scheming to fleece indie devs. This is what you get when you hire former EA CEO. Not even Adobe, Microsoft or BMW would come up with such a thing. What's next, charging for opened windows? Maybe charge for lines of code written with Visual Studio with your "proprietary data model"?

Absolutely revolting and a punch in the gut to over a decade old Unity users like me. To extort so many small indie devs that made your engine popular in such a way... As we weren't paying enough already in all sorts of platform fees and taxes and as if business wasn't hard enough already.

Not only is the model complicated, you're also forcing pretty intrusive telemetry on every user regardless if paid or not, just to track installs for your business model. Where before sending HW stats was just an option you could untick in Player Settings. And I know the install tracking will be invasive, because how else will you pull this off without invading user's privacy?

Unity has been one time fee back in the day, switching to subscription was already controversial but at least it came without any additional bs and the free option was generous, though expected to be honest - it's not 2010 anymore and there are literally hundreds of alternative engines out there and they're all free. And you still made a ton of money with Asset Store even with free users. Myself I've spent literally thousands of dollars on the Asset Store, is this not enough?! And now this...Unity is acting is they have a monopoly and no serious AAA competition out there.

50. nykalily

nykalily

Hi uh, hello. Unity gamedev since at-least 2015, first time poster here on these forums.

I'm here to say that unless this 'unity runtime fee' is reversed/dropped entirely, unless that happens I will be dropping Unity ENTIRELY from my workflow and Gamedev projects going forward.

To call this bad business would be putting things gently, this is a total SCAM!

Seriously Screw John Riccitiello and screw Unity the company for not having him fired/removed! I personally hope he gets sued to kingdom come!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.