Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Official Unity plan pricing and packaging updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Aug 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baste

Baste

You have to be over both the install and the revenue threshold, not just one of them. It's pretty clear in the FAQ.

Ultroman, Wooshii_, JBR-games and 3 others like this.
  2. MattVer

MattVer

Adding my voice of discontent with this change.

The mere fact that we are going in circles trying to even understand how this pricing model works and will affect every single kind of game being developed under the sun, and being applied retroactively speaks volumes to how ill thought and presented it is.

It is depressing to see the direction Unity has been going for the past many years.

Edit:
    A friend of mine also raised an important point:

How will Unity know if a game has been installed? Will the application phone home to update it?
    Because from my understanding, this will go against EU privacy laws.
    What then? Are we supposed to include some disclaimer on every store front for EU?
    Add a disclaimer on bootup?
    Separate version?

3. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

Even worse. An incredibly unneeded complex and convoluted pricing system as many others have pointed out. Would rather switch to Unreal and just give a flat percentage than this nonsense, and this is coming from a long time Unity user who dislikes epic games.

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

I see. Good to know. Still dog S***e though.

Lahcene likes this.
  5. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

What is pretty clear is the disdain the entire community seems to have for this new pricing model, and what is even clearer is there likely won't be any Unity pricing model in the future when developers start abandoning Unity for other engines as many others have pointed out here.

6. jjejj87

jjejj87

An increase of subscription pricing would be better....this...is just unbelievable.

Lahcene, HarvesteR, Jmonroe and 4 others like this.
  7. mgear

mgear

some smart twitch user gave workaround already ; )

upload_2023-9-12_17-48-51.png

8. Clavus

Clavus

From what I'm hearing on the grapevine the Unity sales team doesn't have any idea how the tracking is supposed to work yet, it'd be really nice if this could be clarified. Any automated solution will be a hornets nest.

9. JoNax97

JoNax97

10. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Would it be possible to collect all the questions and also prepare edge case examples and do a video or live stream.

I think a first step for everyone here would be to understand what all this means. I also think that everyone here appreciates that the team does answer or tries to answer everything here, but I have a feeling that this is bigger and more important, a forum post doesn’t really do it justice.

X3doll, SI-Shawn, matheus33 and 8 others like this.
  11. Arfus

Arfus

I'd say most of it is pretty clear. But please someone from Unity define what an install means. Do pirated installs count? Do people uninstalling and reinstalling count? How do you even keep track of this? What if someone reinstalls their OS or switches hardware, does that count as a new install?

12. Baste

Baste

Yeah, for real, this is going to incentivize devs to do Overwatch 2 - like things; "hey this is a new game in the same f2p series. We're just transferring all of your content from the first game, which we're shutting down".

uvs42, X3doll, marteko and 6 others like this.
  13. Cartographer

Cartographer

Just do what Unreal Engine does and charge a percentage of revenue made through game sales if you absolutely want to earn money from well performing games.

I can't see any universe where this implementation functions correctly. Too much information about the specifics is seemingly missing, such as how Unity is going to successfully detect a single install.

The only possible benefit of this is that it might give Unity a reason to actually make their engine better (Better engine, better games, more game installs), but so far they have not demonstrated that they will.

Additionally, Retroactively applying this to already released games is abhorrent.

14. sacb0y

sacb0y

Real talk fire your PR team, this is like when Unity made a big deal out of Gigaya than canned it months later with zero statement on why.

You guys may have learned some lessons on Unity releases, but my god you still have no idea how to communicate important stuff without everyone exploding.

15. pillowfightio_conrad

pillowfightio_conrad

Stride even supports VS Code still! ;)

16. LAKster

LAKster

Well this was it, the final push I needed to uninstall Unity and finally branch out to something else whatever that might end up being. Been doing stuff in Unity for 10 years. Greatly enjoyed my time. This frankly feels like a giant F U to any developer using your product. You could have done a revenue split, you could have done a flat price per sale, you could have done so many things that would be better than this clusterf*ck. Even if you guys end up going back on this it will still end up costing you the trust of your community. Well done and cya never

17. sacb0y

sacb0y

The tracking already exists for the most part, just look at unity dashboard.

JBR-games likes this.
  18. jjejj87

jjejj87

Wait, so let's say I have a game called "A" on Steam. Released a few years ago. 200k+ installs and over $200k+ revenue.

If I turn the game free on Steam, will I still be subject to that stupid fee? Or should I just stop selling it on Steam?

19. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

Removing Unity plus is also a bad move, it's really helpful for Indie devs, allowing them to remove the splash screen at much lower cost than Unity Pro.

angiemon, aer0ace, marteko and 31 others like this.
  20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So... Uhhh... How is this enforced? Our games, supposedly, don't phone home, we have all analytics off and to the best of our knowledge, it doesn't phone home. We've had games be part of a Humble Bundle, Bundle, we don't get "install" numbers from that. Do pirated copies count?

It also makes being part of subscription services problematic, since the revenue per install is pretty low there.

This is needlessly complicated, super hard to track and braindead and a straight up price hike when your prices for your subscriptions already offer very little value.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  21. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

What an insanely overly complicated and horrible solution. I read it twice and still have no idea what to expect.

angiemon, Astha666, TheMK-_- and 7 others like this.
  22. StormTurtle

StormTurtle

The main reason I've been paying $400 a year for "PLUS" was simply to remove the Unity Splash Screen and replace it with my company logo. Now you're saying I have to pay $2,040 per year in order to keep that "feature", and on top of that you plan on charging me ~20 cents per install (for my games that sell for $1-$3). I don't care about or plan to use any of the new features your PRO brings to the table. I will probably take advantage of the 1-year "PLUS price" upgrade to PRO, but I'm afraid these new changes definitely have me looking at your competitors for my future engine needs. :(

23. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

It’s 5 lines of code to disable everything.

24. Sir_Mac

Sir_Mac

From their FAQ:
    upload_2023-9-12_16-53-45.png

so yea pirated copies, multiple installs of the same user, maybe even on the same pc, all of this would count

25. Cartographer

Cartographer

DebugLogError likes this.
  26. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

Revenue is calculated for the last 12 months only ( not lifetime )

upload_2023-9-12_17-54-6.png

angiemon likes this.
  27. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

Thank the LORD for those hero Indian YouTubers who make free tutorials because it looks like it's time to start learning a new engine.

28. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Nice way to get me using Unreal Engine for all my future projects

29. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

With this bigger companies would be vulnerable. Someone will come up with a bot.

or in other words: if they plan to track the data like we understand the system currently using unity for any game/app/service would be …dangerous??

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  30. waldgeist

waldgeist

Guys, this is ridiculous. If this price model is the future, we'll leave the ecosystem. Especially for us AR devs, it's a kick in the ass. Was thinking about going native for the Apple Vision Pro glasses anyways, as Unity did not even bother to respond to our Beta request. Guess now is the time to take that decision. It was a nice time, but I don't like greedy corporations.

31. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

32. Lynxbird

Lynxbird

What if 1 person reinstall my game 1.000 times, or 1.000.000 times with some script.

How do I stop them?

33. jjejj87

jjejj87

Yes, but install threshold is lifetime, which already is over the limit.

34. waldgeist

waldgeist

angiemon, LAKster and PassivePicasso like this.
  35. Invertex

Invertex

Initialization implies first time install. After that it would lack the initialization and not be counted anymore, the analytics data would be on their system.

But still, this is a terribly thought out system open to exploit that could destroy companies. Imagine if someone made a bot network that keeps wiping system data for a game and reinstalling it. If there are not server-side systems in place to track installed IPs and have a long cooldown, companies could get drowned in fees from this kind of attack.

36. HobbyistGameDev

HobbyistGameDev

How is revenue defined? Is this going to be gross or net revenue of the game?

How will Unity track my game's revenue?

37. jjejj87

jjejj87

You know, a lot of users on Steam regularly uninstall and reinstall the game with new content releases and patches...I literally don't know what to think now...

Family sharing, multiple PCs, about 30% of my players install it on their Steam Deck.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2023
    Ultroman, kopanz, andyman404 and 4 others like this.
  38. pillowfightio_conrad

pillowfightio_conrad

39. ratking

ratking

Why is it that everything Unreal does benefits their developers, and Unity is doing the exact opposite?

Kody, OzgurGurbuz, angiemon and 33 others like this.
  40. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

Yeah, that part definitely need clarification from Unity ( how older installs will be treated ). Either way, this doesn't seem like it's well thought & can hurt freemium games.

Ruslank100, Trisibo and jjejj87 like this.
  41. mrCharli3

mrCharli3

This is probably true for 90% of PLUS users, it is for us.

42. RaventurnStefan

RaventurnStefan

15 cents/install we never get back from our users. We have a lot of players in India where unfortunately the ads bring almost nothing (eCPM is super low). Then again we have many downloads in Russia, where we currently get nothing either. Additionally, the revenue/user differs a lot depending on the country, does that mean we now have to block the countries that bring less money so they can't install it?

Are we really forced by Unity to block poorer countries?

43. Farage

Farage

So if I use Unity Plus, I am forced to upgrade to Unity Pro in order to remove the splash screen?

44. tsibiski

tsibiski

So we will be paying Unity for our game being pirated and installed outside of our control? Because if you are charging by install, the only way you can do that is with the game "phoning home". There's no way for you to track a game being sold on some developer's website as a basic exe otherwise. So then you will be charging us for pirated game installs too. That doesn't sound fair.

HOW DID YOU NOT THINK OF ALL THESE THINGS PEOPLE ARE MENTIONING BEFORE ANNOUNCING THIS? How did you not pre-emptively answer all of these obvious questions in the original post from the start? You had to know this would cause a freakout and possibly an exodus, so why would you not proactively assuage these obvious concerns?

45. jjejj87

jjejj87

Its not just freemium, but most indie devs.

I sell most of my games at $4.99 as it is a safe number to work with and in return the resulting profit is small - but I make up with minimal marketing and reduced fixed costs.

Now, lower priced games are hard to survive as there is a fixed cost to every copy sold...

I mean, if it was $1 million revenue (btw, after taxes and profit split from platforms like Steam, I get about 35%~40% of the sales) then it would make more sense, as there would be headroom, but $200k? Seriously?

imminentab, Felcelot, Trisibo and 3 others like this.
  46. PixHammer_

PixHammer_

In this case India is counted as an emerging market, and the prices are astronomically lower. upload_2023-9-12_17-4-35.png
    But because virtually no revenue gets made here, it's still just a cost to you.

47. Spellbook

Spellbook

At least as described, this seems like an existential threat to mobile and VR developers, who might see thousands of installs/uninstalls per month with no revenue. Only a small fraction of installs actually generate revenue. This could easily kill free-to-play and $4.99 indie development.

The "lifetime installs" metric is concerning.. Having to pay a high fee for a game that was popular 10 years ago means I just un-publish it because it actually costs money to leave up. Why would I risk using Unity with such a bizarre and punitive lifetime fee model?

48. jjejj87

jjejj87

Exactly my point. We are forced into "release discount", "seasonal discount" and etc...the price of game drops over time...but these idiots came up with a plan to tax it even further....

I really don't know how to take this...

49. Invertex

Invertex

There's no revenue limit for the personal version anymore btw. So indies not making much per year are not going to be affected by that price.

50. dshort3266

dshort3266

So I previously bought a Unity Plus subscription just to remove the splash screen logo, but since Plus is dead, I now have to pay +$2000 a year just to remove the splash screen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.