Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Official Unity plan pricing and packaging updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Aug 22, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fangh

Fangh

So no more minimum sales revenue ?
    I can use the Unity Free if I do >200k€ revenue per year ?

2. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

3. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Ya, sorry, I get how this wording is confusing. So, let's say you have your 1,000,001th install, officially pushing you over the cap. You will have a fee of 15 cents. You will not pay that 15cents every month. Just a single time. The monthly thing is to indicate a monthly assessment to see where your installs are and revenue is to see if you had more installs or dropped below the cap. Does that help?

PJMM, Jamisco, Chadmang84 and 12 others like this.
  4. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

How would Unity be able to force this on older projects? This won’t work.

5. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Correct

6. apkdev

apkdev

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA is this some sort of a joke?

Danteea, Kody, DwinTeimlon and 56 others like this.
  7. Antiquity83

Antiquity83

Incredible. What is wrong with you?

8. sacb0y

sacb0y

I'm way beyond that, those are my numbers PER MONTH. 30-60K Just for a demo or preview build.

(Downloads, WebGL, etc)

9. SpAM_CAN

SpAM_CAN

And this is analytics driven, I assume? So, suddenly review-bombers have a new tool - send fraudulent, repeated install analytics pings to inflate the install count and trigger this new tax on the developer. This could under no uncertain terms completely bankrupt a small to mid-sized developer.

Unity seriously needs to consider its position in the market. You've been producing half-baked, under-supported software for years, causing abject misery to the people who actually need to use it. You do not get to suddenly and retroactively apply new terms completely out of nowhere, screwing up already tight budgets of developers that are likely already struggling in the current environment.

Unity going public was an utter mistake.

10. jjejj87

jjejj87

I can't believe they are doing this...I can't believe I supported this company for years.

Unity, you guys crossed the line.

Shame on you.

11. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Lets say a free to play game gets 2 million downloads and earns $0.1 per user. That's hit the $200,000 threshold, so now the company owes $0.15 per install over 100,000, thats 1,900,000 installs. So unity would then bill you $285,000?
    So you have gone from +$200,000 to -$85,000?!

12. ChristianTeister

ChristianTeister

So this will become a new sport for review bombers? Reinstalling games of companies they are upset about over and over again...
    Or do I get it wrong?
    Great for Unity.

According to FAQ game initializations are counted, so just deleting some registry entries, launching the game, and repeat automatically around twice per minute with a script? So 2880 "installs" in 24 hours by a single install-bomber per machine = $576 for you. Great.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  13. joshuacwilde

joshuacwilde

There is no way we are gonna pay fees for games that are already out. Worst case I guess we stay on an old version of Unity or something. This is extremely unethical and potentially illegal for Unity to attempt to insert themselves into games like this, like they can suddenly just start extracting value because they said so.

We have no intention of paying these unethical fees for already released games, and I'm willing to fight that.

CloudyVR, gideon137, Teila and 79 others like this.
  14. Chunikus

Chunikus

They want to charge this to already released games? While fee isn't that insane, this imho constitutes complete violation of trust, next time they might try charge $5 per install. If it'll be like that...i will have to think if i have to swap game engine for my current project, but for sure i'm swapping for my next one.Even if this gets rolled back, i can't trust company like that. You can't just completely radically change the monetization scheme. And announce it 3 months before it goes live? This is a business relationship not a diablo 4 dlc.

15. v-fox

v-fox

What about mobile? Literally no way you'll get 0.20$ back from each install. So, stronger monetization, is it? So, devs have to screw over users even more just to give that extra revenue to Unity?
    Most mobiles games get revenue from user scale, not from retention. What happens if for example you reach 200k$, after getting 10M downloads?

What about web? Will devs be charged for each time an user refreshes the page?

Also, there are a lot of edge cases. What about updates, do they count as well? And piracy in paid games? Or just an angry user reinstalling the game constantly?

This idea will kill every f2p game. Well done, guys.

16. wickedworx

wickedworx

Hi Mike. So, if we there was a game on Steam which was released a few years ago using an older version of Unity, and has already hit the $1M/1,000,000 install threshold (before January 2024).
    When it gets 1 more "install" in January 2024, it'll owe $0.15?

If that's not right - can you clarify exactly how it'll affect already released games?

SI-Shawn, tduriga, Tuonela93 and 13 others like this.
  17. Qleenie

Qleenie

Okay, you should definitely overthink the wording in the FAQ; there are multiple places where a monthly fee is being mentioned. But a monthly fee is very different from a monthly accounting.
    I still think this might be legally difficult to execute.

18. Ali_V_Quest

Ali_V_Quest

this can really hurt Hyper Casual games & mobile in general
    2-15 cents per download is not a big deal for a pc/console game ( it's similar to Unreal 5% royalty )
    but for mobile games that rely on ads to generate revenue, this seems like a really bad model.
    free games with IAP can also get hurt, because they will have many downloads but possibly low revenue per install

Danteea, Gera1997, mklasson and 18 others like this.
  19. Shrandis

Shrandis

This has to be the least informative announcement ever, so many points that need clarification.

Hope we can get an answer on these. At first glance, it just looks like a last minute money grabbing scheme before the ship goes down, or these fees were decided by people who have zero knowledge about mobile game market, which would also be a massive red flag. 0.20 per install? Did you guys even bother to check mobile CPIs?

20. Sir_Mac

Sir_Mac

all signs points that yes, Unity will kill your game.
    Do not forget to include Demos/other games/multiple installs per single user/Pirated copies of games/Malicius users that want developer to go down under! Happy times to be a Unity Developer

21. PixHammer_

PixHammer_

This really is a death sentence for mobile if this is the case, let's say we get 1M users in user acquisition past that first 1M users, 90% of those users are not going to make much money at all, margins are insanely slim, most users won't even make $0.05. For a small mobile studio, they'd need to make 60K in profit every month they do UA at that scale just to be in the green. Average LTV for every user would need to be >$0.06, after apple tax, just to make anything at all. Even big studios often struggle to reach this, how is this possibly justifiable?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    AGregori, mklasson, Dommo1 and 19 others like this.
  22. Aurigan

Aurigan

This seems like a bad April Fools joke.

How is Unity going to know 'revenue'? Are we expected to self-report every cent made from IAP/offerwalls/ad platforms? Is this only for paid games?

gnore, Julian_L, Lahcene and 17 others like this.
  23. Baste

Baste

upload_2023-9-12_16-33-19.png

So if you ship 4 billion copies of the game, and have a revenue of $199.999, you pay no costs. If you get one more install and that pushes you over to $200.000, you pay 0.15$.

24. jjejj87

jjejj87

This is so wrong in every possible way.

Bunny83, Kunalz, firstuser and 19 others like this.
  25. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Oh so in that situation your only losing $0.05 every new download, that's better...

26. ducdhtn238

ducdhtn238

I have been using unity for 10 years. And now I'm officially quitting it.

27. Aceria_

Aceria_

Ah good, so you only start losing money from that point onward and in that hypothetical example lose $0.05 per install. Note that a single user can install a game plenty of times without bringing in additional revenue, so you'll likely lose quite a bit more.

28. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

I've been a long time unity user and plus subscriber. Throughout the years, I, like a lot of people here, have forgiven and overlooked the fact that the unity editor sometimes has more bugs than the amazon rain forest, even for many miniscule things that are not fixed for years at a time, in some cases. This may just be the straw that breaks the camels back. I think it's time to finally look at moving to another engine, perhaps one that hasn't decided to introduce an overly complex and convoluted pricing model where it wasn't needed.

Edit: Also I've lost track of time and the months recently, checked to see if today was April fools but, nope, we're in the middle of September. Wow.

unity tears.png

Semyy, jh2, gideon137 and 60 others like this.
  29. jjejj87

jjejj87

So, wait, if someone uninstalls and reinstalls a few times, how does that work?

Also, how can they do this to existing products....this is so wrong.

30. sacb0y

sacb0y

How does your PR/Marketing team keep allowing you guys to make such messy and confusing announcements?

Anyone could have looked at this and had every concern posted here lol.

31. Baste

Baste

Presumably in the same way that Epic knows the same thing, since they're taking 5% of revenue for Unreal. I suppose the EULA will include some kind of "you have to tell us, and we're allowed to check" language.

32. vriog

vriog

Please tell me this isn’t true, this decision needs to be reversed!!!!!

33. nicktringali

nicktringali

Y'all this F***ing sucks

Kody, OzgurGurbuz, Kunalz and 23 others like this.
  34. SpAM_CAN

SpAM_CAN

From a preservationist angle, this will also encourage publishers to de-list older games rather than keep them online. If you keep a game up, you risk a sudden fee.

35. Baste

Baste

Yeah, you'd probably have to take the game off the market if it's not making enough money per user and you're closing in on one of the thresholds.

Which is, you know, really bad and dumb, and is going to lose Unity a lot of money. If they'd just done a percentage of the revenue, then there wouldn't be any broken incentives.

36. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

Main question who is paying this fee. Only developers? or your Publisher?

It says the entity who distributes the binary..

Who is that? Valve, the publisher, me?

who is on the hook?

Attached Files:

37. SpAM_CAN

SpAM_CAN

Financials can be verified, since there are corporate filings for tax purposes and such. Going by the "installs" metric means we have to trust Unity's analytics. Unity get to decide if we need to pay the fine and how much of a fine we're going to pay.

38. unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

unity_028AE3B1F1BC5DECE8AD

That settles it then. Instead of having to share our already tight profit margins now with Unity's new pricing system, just make the game 100% free and NO one gets any profits. Glad that was cleared up.

39. Starfarer

Starfarer

Well, hopefully Stride Engine will have an influx of devs to their github and community after this. lol

40. namcap

namcap

How does Unity track an "install"? If I purchase a game on Steam, install it on my desktop, then install it on my laptop, is that two installs?

And if I install it on my desktop, then do a clean reinstall of Windows, then install the game again, is that another install?

41. antti_partagames

antti_partagames

This is not good at all. It's time to look for alternative engines.

42. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Do they mean net revenue?

waldgeist likes this.
  43. Shizola

Shizola

Kody, PowerJake, kfireven and 51 others like this.
  44. deck57

deck57

Oh man, I am never making another Unity game after this one.

45. snezhok_12

snezhok_12

What a stupid pricing model:

- How much is a hammer? 10$ But if you hammer in more than 1000 nails then 12$, and if more than 1000 000 then 20$

GermiyanBey, huwp, SgtM and 38 others like this.
  46. Coffeeseed

Coffeeseed

This sound incredibly shortsighted for an engine mostly used for f2p mobile games! EVEN if the LTV of a player would be twice the amount of the fee (and that's generous) it would make no sense to keep using Unity as it'll eat half your income before taxes.

It feels like you're trying to push as many people as possible toward Pro or out of your engine altogether. Revert this decision! This makes no sense for your community (but migth for the shareholders I suppose?)

As others mentioned, there's no clarity on what is considered an install and how you're tracking it, it also seems that this is going to create privacy issues when it comes to either tracking dev and/or players.

47. jjejj87

jjejj87

No but there is a install limit....so you still pay.

Lahcene, Ruslank100 and Trisibo like this.
  48. Dust999Games

Dust999Games

So you want $0.15 for 100.000 installs it is $15.000. Realy?! The mobile game bring in comon about 3-10%. So developer will achive $3.000-$10.000 and should pay to unity $15.000. Unbelivible!
    I belive that a big companies will be OK with that... But what bout inidy?! $2000 year for UnityPro! Oh my god.... You will kill the indy and small companies as a class

49. jjejj87

jjejj87

I've been sticking with Unity as hard as one can possibly can...but you guys just keep trying to push us devs away...

I uninstalled Unreal Engine last night, thinking that over time, the Unity Engine will prove to be the best choice. Welp...I guess I was wrong...

Seriously. I am done with Unity.

50. Starburst999

Starburst999

So I make a free mobile games, someone download the game, play 30sec and quit. I have to pay Unity 0.20$?

The pricing doesn't even makes sense for Steam / Console, a cheap 2.49$ game will pay such a huge proportion of their revenue compared to a 40$ / 70$ games?

How can someone come up with such a terrible idea?

I have no issue paying Unity, like a X% amount of the revenue, but this is really a bad deal for cheap games or mobile gaming. And this is where Unity has the biggest market share?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.