Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Package Manager Question

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by SynergiAios, Mar 19, 2018.

1. SynergiAios

SynergiAios

Is it currently or will it in the future be possible, to grab your own assets or assets from the store, that you are using quite often like editor tools (Console rework, Hirarchy rework, ...) and pack them into your own unity packages so they don't need to be directly referenced in the used unity project and thus the source code for them is not displayed in the porject?

That would be sooooooooo awesome. In know for sure, we will need to take care of recompiling them for new versions and applying updates and blabla. But that would be something I take in case of the benefits of removing those files of my project and getting rid of a lot of clutter.

FROS7 likes this.
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @SynergiAios ,

Yes, the new Package Manager does not pollute your project (`/Assets` folder). Instead, it will symlink each package folder under the `/Packages` folder.

Regards,

Pascal

3. SynergiAios

SynergiAios

I think you misunderstood a bit. Will I / am I able to create my own packages of Assets I'm regularly using? So I mean not ones provided by Unity itself, I want to be able to create my own packages. Will that / is that currently possible? @okcompute_unity

4. litefeel

litefeel

Yeah, I thinks it's so cool. like jcenter, npm, and so on.
    for example:
    move some plugins from AssetStore to PackageManager, and convenient use of specific versions.

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yes, we do plan to make it possible for you to create your own packages, at some point in the future.

FROS7 and elbows like this.
  6. SynergiAios

SynergiAios

That sounds awesome, with the little downside of "at some point in the future" :)

7. xCyborg

xCyborg

Can you make it easy to revert to previous packages from the UI? standard events 1.0.13 causes a compiler error.

8. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

9. justinagraham

justinagraham

@xCyborg, can you paste the compiler errors you are getting please? Thanks.

10. xCyborg

xCyborg

@okcompute_unity @justinagraham Here it is:
    C:/ProgramData/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.standardevents@1.0.13/Editor/Importer.cs(8,43): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `IPreprocessBuildWithReport' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

I couldn't clear it from the Console.

EDIT: That was in beta 10, beta 12 comes with 1.0.13 out of the box and their is no error.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  11. RichardFine

RichardFine

Unity Technologies

This is expected. The API in Unity changed in beta 12, and 1.0.13 of StandardEvents is the update that matches that API change. So 1.0.13 won't work with betas earlier than b12, and 1.0.12 (or earlier) won't work with b12 or later.

xCyborg likes this.