Search Unity

Unity Package Manager Diagnostics (unable to launch Unity 2019.4.0f1)

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by paul-masri-stone, Jun 15, 2020.

1. paul-masri-stone

paul-masri-stone

I'm using Unity Hub 2.3.2 on MacOS 10.15.2.
    I've installed 2019.4.0f1 but I'm unable to start it.

When I tried creating a new project, there was a pause of 30s followed by "Verifying Unity". I could see on Mac Activity Monitor that it was busy checking something for about 2 mins. After that I got the error on the attached image.

I ran the diagnostics and it failed on the final step and directed me to contact Unity support on this forum.

I have attached the diagnostic report and accompanying log.

Attached Files:

2. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Sorry to see you are having this issue. As per the report, it seems that something is preventing the package manger to start. We need more information in order to find the source of your problem.

Could you please provide the Editor.log and upm.log? You can find instructions on how to find them and upload them here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-expedite-support-help-request-in-this-forum.651127/

Keep in mind that the logs are written every time there is a successful launch. If you run the diagnostic tool, the Package Manager will be ran, and upm.log will be written again, so please, don't run run the Diagnostic tool before coping the log files.

By the error code, it seems you have some permission issues while executing the application.

Cheers,

Supi

3. paul-masri-stone

paul-masri-stone

Hi! Thanks for responding.

I cleared the logs, started Unity Hub and tried creating a new project "Test-2019-4". This failed with a popup error message about the Unity Package Manager. This time I clicked Quit instead of Diagnostics.
    I have attached:
    Test1-Editor.log.txt
    Test1-Unity.Entitlements.Audit.log.txt
    Test1-Unity.Licensing.Client.log.txt

Attached Files:

4. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, thanks for providing all the logs.

As I said before, there seems to be some kind of permission issue on your side, but I'm not sure what could have caused it.

Are you on Catalina? It seems the pause of 30s followed by "Verifying Unity" is a problem related to that MacOS release: https://appletoolbox.com/why-is-macos-catalina-verifying-applications-before-i-can-open-them/

There are several things that you can try to find a solution to your problem. You can update the Hub to the latest version if you are not already using it (2.3.2). Try uninstalling and installing again Unity from the Hub.

Or, without reinstalling and give the Package Manager server file the right permissions. You can achieve this by opening a terminal and running there the following command:

chmod +x <path>/<to>/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager

according to your Editor.log it should path to your unity installation should is /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.0f1/Unity, so the command you need to paste in the terminal will be:

chmod +x /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.0f1/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager

Before doing this, you can verify what permissions the file have by entering in the terminal

ls -la /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.0f1/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager

Good luck and please let us know what works out for you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  5. paul-masri-stone

paul-masri-stone

Hi,

Yes I am on Catalina (10.15.2) and I am using Unity Hub 2.3.2 already.

I ran your chmod command and I can see the permissions are now -rwxrwxrwx. (I'm afraid I didn't see your "Before doing this..." until I'd already done it so I'm not sure what the permissions were before.

However it has made no difference. I'm still stuck unable to start Unity.

6. paul-masri-stone

paul-masri-stone

I have some answers, or at least information, that may help you.
    Yes I am using MacOS Catalina (10.15.2) and Unity Hub 2.3.2.

1. Required disk space
    I removed 2019.4.0f1 and reinstalled it (again via Unity Hub 2.3.2). However this time I freed up a lot more space on my hard disk.

When installing, Hub tells me I need something like 5.6GB free. I had around 10GB free. However as I installed it I noticed there was a point that my hard disk space went down to zero during the installation step before finally jumping back up.

From what I can gather I think some aspects didn't get installed properly even though there were no errors and the install appeared to complete successfully.

So this time I made sure there was lots more space. Although the stated requirements are less than 6GB, and after installing it has indeed used up just under 6GB, during the installation it used a massive 14GB!!! That's 8GB more than expected.

2. 2019.4 fails first time on Catalina
    Following this install, I tried creating a new 3D project. This failed. It didn't create the project and it didn't generate any logs either.

During the process I watched the MacOS Activity Monitor (built-in utility).
    This showed the following processes using a lot of CPU, one after another more or less:
    • XprotectService
    • syspolicyd
    • ApplicationsStorageExtension
    • WindowServer
    During the first part there was the familiar progress bar "Verifying Unity" but this disappeared after a while.

I checked the file permissions of
    /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.0f1/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/UnityPackageManager as you suggested and it showed -rwxr-xr-x, so no need to chmod.

I tried again creating a new 3D project - exact same steps. This time the process was different. No "Verifying Unity". Instead it was doing something with the Unity Package Manager. I don't recall all the details - I think it was verifying it, and then it was unpacking assets etc. And finally Unity is running. I have attached the logs for reference.

Please could you file bugs / pass onto the tech team.

Attached Files:

supita_unity likes this.
  7. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey there - It looks like your first installation got corrupted due to a lack of free space. We've reported the issue to the Hub team. In the meantime, can you let us know if the issue still persists?

8. Deathbysin666

Deathbysin666

Cant open Unity anymore? Server error on the editor.exe! Cant run diag. Cant do anything exept uninstall. After re-instal still nothing? packageManager issue what can i do to fix this? tried the above post solutions but nothing works for me?