Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity or UDK or CryEngine or...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Not_Sure, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep all dynamic and check out the FPS ;)..

Edit, it's really small so 154 FPS and it's quite a large scene with quite a bit of stuff on our lowest machine.. Radeon 6850.

2. minionnz

minionnz

Saw the FPS - had assumed you had a high-spec machine - It'd be interesting to see what my system can handle (not expecting much though :))
    I might download and try out CryEngine today- I doubt I'll be switching away from Unity anytime soon, but it'd be interesting to actually compare the two for myself.

3. XilenceX

XilenceX

Unreal Engine 4 is the strongest contender for Unity Indie Devs in my book, but IMHO it is still too early in development to be used in a commercial Indie game. The only exception would be if you have a really long term project like http://www.hourences.com/my-new-game-solus-unreal-engine-4-survival-exploration-game/ which can develop alongside the Engine for a looong time.

Given that the latest UDK build is still July 2013 I would condider it to be "depreciated" which is probably not a good basis for a new game project. Especially since that version has a few iritating bugs and you may have to use an even older one.

Crytek only hands out a commercial license to a CRYENGINE Indie project once in a blue moon. (So far maybe 1 license per year since the FreeSDK launch) So you would have to be either extremely confident in your project, or stupid to use that engine.

I am not a huuuge fan of Unity to be honest, but I'd say it is the best option for making 3D games RIGHT NOW. So once Exteria is done I will probably use it for another game and then move on to UE4, unless Unity 5 or whatever it is called then can catch up with UE4s raw graphical prowess.

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm fine with people making the quality argument, but not if they also make the price argument. If you are producing a game were cutting edge visual quality is a must then in most cases you are looking at a pretty large project, 12+ months with many people invovled. Lets cut it down and say its 9 months for 3 people:
    • If you set some minimal low end goal of paying yourself a basic wage you need to produce a game which makes around 110k. In other words UDK will cost you ~15k.
    • If your project cost 20k in marketing and your schedule went over by 3 months UDK has now effectively cost you ~42k to reach your basic goal.
    • Of course a real budget needs to take in to account office space, accounting and legal fees, devices, online services, etc, etc. To reach your goal UDK will cost you more again.

If you had 3 subscriptions to Pro with iOS for the 12 months you spend $5400. About the only time UDK is going to be cheaper in this situation is if you fail miserably.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well that doesn't stack up really, no matter how large the project it's always about money and ROI. Especially for a mid size 10+ team working in the Indie world, that's the shear basics.. Your financiers / publisher's / owners watch you like a hawk, this is from experience owning a mid sized company and working in very large dev environments.

Well if we are a serious developer with dreams of AAA ( Or similar feel and quality), we wouldn't be using UDK now would we? We'd use unreal 4 (Just a tip Unity Pro for a team of 10 comes in more expensive) With Unity you will have to buy a set of additional extensions or it will really cost you in time, staff costs far outweigh any toolset you buy over a 3 - 4 year development cycle. Rent / Cable etc. is small fry stuff.

Developing a lot of tech with a decent amount of staff is the number one way to drain money, if you have an engine like UE4 that already has the latest tech in it, you can focus on making a game. It will save you a fortune..

But then again, we wouldn't be using IOS in the realms of top line graphical games would we? Because that would be a bottleneck platform, you wouldn't see someone trying to run Crysis3 on Android!? Also again, we wouldn't be using UDK :).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  6. tatoforever

tatoforever

That's what Crytek is currently doing, not with Crysis but with CryEngine. They've already ported CryEngine3 to iOS and Android and I heard rumors that I'll be available this summer (CE FreeSDK).

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now that's going to be interesting.! I'm looking forward to it.

It'll still be cut down and mobile friendly though, unless they have found a way to stick an R9 290 /GTX 780 in a mobile..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
  8. Yoska

Yoska

I just like how all the big engine developers are trying to appeal indie devs. It's a good, healthy trend. Nobody doesn't really care about AAA anymore* and all the interesting things are happening in the indie scene (creatively and commercially) so it's a win-win situation for both consumers and developers.

*Obviously false claim :twisted:

9. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

don't take udk if you have an old computer.

i downloaded udk after 5 long hours to just to see this message

i ended up deleting the installer.

so please if you have an old computer, don"t even bother downloading and wasting your precious 5 hours.

10. The smooth gamemaker

The smooth gamemaker

unity community is useful got that right?
    post a question and in a flash you get its proper answer.
    so its not less serious.

and please don't download udk if you have a old computer because you will end up seeing this message.

so take my strong advice,
    remember to think twice.
    don't waste your precious 5 hours downloading udk if you have an antique computer like mine.